Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Out of interest how do you rate the guys who came after - Langford, Laverde, McGrath, Ridley etc?
All quite types. Good players. Good blokes but not a lot of hard edge leadership.

So it was widely reported at the time up to 6-10 clubs sought out Clarkson when having a year off so why would it have made ruttens job untenable if we sought him out during the review process. I didn't see 6 clubs sack there coach.

Are all the assistant coaches and mcviegh/Adams untenable as options if Clarkson says no to north and gws

Difference between seeking out Clarkson in terms of what would you need to come to ess/ thoughts on list money. what it would look like and then actually agreeing to it, offering Clarkson position and sacking Rutten.

Seems untenable now though. Will Rutten still coach if we don't get Clarkson? I wanted Clarkson but feel we may be left empty. No Rutten or Clarkson and can feel signing a Lyon etc to save face.

Also not sure what it means for Heppel, hurley, rutten and a final game this week but I feel like Heppel would likely sign if we get Clarkson which probably says a bit in itself.

Clarko wasn't good enough to coach Horefawn, why would we bother.
Ready made trio north of the border would be a better fit.

Had yesterday not happened, Rutten would be safe but that was as bad an Essendon performance I have seen. I posted the following the other day:

3 certainties for 2023

• Clarko NOT coming (good or bad)
  • Rutten WILL be coach (good or bad)
  • It WILL be Rutten's 3rd year, period
This was correct when I posted it as Brasher had already backed Rutten. An 84 point loss has thrown everything on its head.

With Brasher out, everything changes. The Domino's will start falling. It is reported we are going after Clarko now which, if true, means Rutten dead in the water.

I think Heppell should be nervous too.

Yesterday was the first time EVER I have turned the game off willingly, with no other arrangements because of the insipid performance we had put up in the first 40 minutes. Absolutely disgusting. Didn't even get to half time it was that embarrassing.

For the first time in my life (34 in a couple of months) I have genuinely lost the love for my football club. Feels like a monotonous cycle of the same bullshit we have been dishing up for 20 years.

For the first time I woke up and couldn't care less about the result, I saw the news after meetings all day at about 2pm and quickly scattered to social media, to BigFooty but could not care despite forcing myself to want to like it. IS one of the strangest feelings right now. The proposition of a new coach, a new dawn, I couldn't care less because probably the two most important, influential and power positions at our football club will remain the same.
It's like a narcissistic cult where it is everyone else's fault but ours with these two men I question.

IT will simply be rinse, wash, repeat with these two men still in there positions of power. Im more excited about an external review than getting arguably the greatest coach of the modern era. Sad I know but that's the empty feeling right now.

People trying to rib me all year about my club and right now, I could not care less. Give it to me. We are the laughing stock of the AFL. Genuinely couldn't tell you what we stand for (football related). We are too busy trying to give positive optics, the learnings, the better systemic club. On field we are weak, lazy and have lost our identity as a football club.

We have talent which is the most frustrating thing, we have the talent to compete, we just don't have the drive, the desire, the will to win to even get out of the middle parts of the ladder.

It is frustrating to the point I want to sign out of BigFooty, de activate socials, I love football to much that I probably won't but it has become very tempting the last 24 hours with how little care there is for this football club I have defended so staunchly through some of the shittest periods in AFL history.

Tl;dr

Follow through with the external review and do what is needed to improve this ****ing club and us supporters may very well begin to believe the rubbish the club spouts

We will. Whoops for you.
😂. Which mate told you this time?

We will? But you said we had already. Guess your conceding your mail has been proven to be wrong or made up.

Clarko wasn't good enough to coach Horefawn, why would we bother.
Ready made trio north of the border would be a better fit.
Option A: Stick with the current young coach.
Option B: Bring in the best coach of the past 15 years without due process
Option C: Bring in three former players because they're "Essendon people"
Option D: Run a proper process to get a coach

It should be A or D but we know that won't happen

Think that is pretty easy.
Parish , Merrett , Heppell. Learned the soft culture from our previous leaders.
Not a popular thing to say but Jobe was a great player but he was not a hit you between the eyes leader.
Brendan Goddard was a player who spoke well and tried to lead but was also a player who could not follow any instructions from the coach as far as defending goes and it cost him his list spot when he still had some footy left in him.
Brent Stanton was a me footballer. So was Hooker. So was Hurley.
It pretty much started under Lloyd and has kept going.
I think our group as of today, Parish and Merrett included, are screaming out for this. We are a young enough group to be taught the right way to play, with firm direction, from a coach who demands respect. The majority of our list has had Worsfold (who gave them too much leeway after the saga) and Rutten (who is a Rookie) as coaches. They've had Heppell (laid back, she'll be right) as captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday was the first time EVER I have turned the game off willingly, with no other arrangements because of the insipid performance we had put up in the first 40 minutes. Absolutely disgusting. Didn't even get to half time it was that embarrassing.

lol man you are bonkers. yesterday wouldn't even be in the worst 20 games in the post-sheedy era. the bulldogs kicked a million goals in a row against us once.

Had yesterday not happened, Rutten would be safe but that was as bad an Essendon performance I have seen. I posted the following the other day:

3 certainties for 2023

• Clarko NOT coming (good or bad)
  • Rutten WILL be coach (good or bad)
  • It WILL be Rutten's 3rd year, period
This was correct when I posted it as Brasher had already backed Rutten. An 84 point loss has thrown everything on its head.

With Brasher out, everything changes. The Domino's will start falling. It is reported we are going after Clarko now which, if true, means Rutten dead in the water.

I think Heppell should be nervous too.
That's not how certainties work. Maybe should have just let it slide.

lol man you are bonkers. yesterday wouldn't even be in the worst 20 games in the post-sheedy era. the bulldogs kicked a million goals in a row against us once.
yeah, that's true but yesterday was the first time I felt defeated as a supporter knowing nothing was going to change. Will come back in 2023 and do the same shit again

07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpg

For the first time in my life (34 in a couple of months) I have genuinely lost the love for my football club. Feels like a monotonous cycle of the same bullshit we have been dishing up for 20 years.

For the first time I woke up and couldn't care less about the result, I saw the news after meetings all day at about 2pm and quickly scattered to social media, to BigFooty but could not care despite forcing myself to want to like it. IS one of the strangest feelings right now. The proposition of a new coach, a new dawn, I couldn't care less because probably the two most important, influential and power positions at our football club will remain the same.
It's like a narcissistic cult where it is everyone else's fault but ours with these two men I question.

IT will simply be rinse, wash, repeat with these two men still in there positions of power. Im more excited about an external review than getting arguably the greatest coach of the modern era. Sad I know but that's the empty feeling right now.

People trying to rib me all year about my club and right now, I could not care less. Give it to me. We are the laughing stock of the AFL. Genuinely couldn't tell you what we stand for (football related). We are too busy trying to give positive optics, the learnings, the better systemic club. On field we are weak, lazy and have lost our identity as a football club.

We have talent which is the most frustrating thing, we have the talent to compete, we just don't have the drive, the desire, the will to win to even get out of the middle parts of the ladder.

It is frustrating to the point I want to sign out of BigFooty, de activate socials, I love football to much that I probably won't but it has become very tempting the last 24 hours with how little care there is for this football club I have defended so staunchly through some of the shittest periods in AFL history.

Tl;dr

Follow through with the external review and do what is needed to improve this ******* club and us supporters may very well begin to believe the rubbish the club spouts
I stayed to the end. Maybe I need help :p

Hardwicke is the best coach of the so called modern era. He actually coached sides to premierships.
I could've coached two of Hawthorns flags from my shed, and don't forget the Cats major choke gifted him another one.

Tl;dr

Follow through with the external review and do what is needed to improve this ******* club and us supporters may very well begin to believe the rubbish the club spouts
Same here, I always watch til the end. As a kid we had to stay until the end of every game as my uncle would work out the ladder once all results were up on the scoreboard (yes, every game was 2pm Sat). I have been conditioned to watch, good or bad.

It wasn't the margin, it wasn't the atrocious skills, it was the lack of heart/soul.

Even with the thrashings in the 70s, we always gave everything.

Yesterday, I couldn't watch anymore.

The HeppelFreak guy thinks the Clarko deal was sorted months ago. I can't tell if he just got lucky or has inside info.
These things are rarely that clear cut. It sounds like the coteries have been in Clarkson's ear for some time and possibly had been told that he'd potentially be interested. Now the shit has hit the fan and there's an opportunity to make that a reality. Or maybe members of the board engineered this so they'd have an opening to bring him in. Who the **** knows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back