Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I reckon that’s what Barham has brought them in for, yeah. They’ll be people who agree with his vision and don’t cause issues. I’m not saying that’s what they should be there for, but it’s a guess as to the thinking.

So what is Sheedy still there for?

Nice ageist, racist and sexist comment when the Essendon board has 1 indigenous person and 3 women on it.

You bet it is mate. Its been a major problem of this club for a long time.

Add in a few extra descriptive words... exclusive, incestuious, arrogant

So what is Sheedy still there for?
Dsf GIF by Den Sidste Flaske

Another two middle aged white guys fulfilling a passion project. lmfao. Are these dudes friends of Brashers? Full of good intentions no doubt.

Both worth shed loads of money. Success in business and industry and what not. Bloody bravo. Lets all get down on our knees and applaud their superiority.

'loyalty to the board' someone ban me now pls.

nothing has changed.

Would you prefer young, unsuccessful and poor?

I get you wanted to have a melt about it and have kind of shoehorned it in, but the number of people with actual relevant qualifications for being on a board that aren't wealthy middle aged white guys is very small, and we've managed to find three women and a genuinely qualified Indigenous past player in Rioli to sit on ours.

Would you prefer young, unsuccessful and poor?

I get you wanted to have a melt about it and have kind of shoehorned it in, but the number of people with actual relevant qualifications for being on a board that aren't wealthy middle aged white guys is very small, and we've managed to find three women and a genuinely qualified Indigenous past player in Rioli to sit on ours.
Every position in society needs to be a complete representation of society, regardless of skills and qualifications.

Just positions of power though, you can keep the rest.

For the board officianados (Lore , The Prosecutor ) what number is our board at now? (Counting Brasher and Co as having left)
Full

Barham
Muir
Green
Hisgrove
Sheedy
O’Sullivan
Madden -> Welsh
Brasher -> Rioli
Wellman -> Roberts
Allen -> Wills

Roberts and Wills start their term at the conclusion of this year’s AGM, and Muir and Welsh are up for election (the seats those other ex-players are trying to take).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there any actual recommendations about the make up of the board in the review?
We are told that it was a focus but it hasn’t been disclosed other than that we now have an Indigenous board member. The previous version isn’t that old anyway so it might’ve just been a tweak

We are told that it was a focus but it hasn’t been disclosed other than that we now have an Indigenous board member. The previous version isn’t that old anyway so it might’ve just been a tweak
Yeah it was 2-3 years ago they added two appointed positions I think. Think that the idea behind it was to try get more gender diversity going.

I'm really excited about Rioli on the board. Just feel he's a guy who won't be afraid to get his hands dirty, he's been involved in footy clubs since he retired as far as I know. I'm very confident he has something to offer.

Former Bomber withdraws nomination for Essendon board​

Barry Young has decided against running to join the Essendon board

FORMER Essendon player Barry Young has withdrawn his nomination to run for the Bombers' board, throwing his support behind incumbent Andrew Muir and newcomer Andrew Welsh for the director positions.

Young, who played 76 games for the Bombers between 1994-99 across a three-club career with Essendon, Richmond and Hawthorn, had nominated for a spot on the club's board ahead of its annual general meeting next month.

The 52-year-old had been keen to join the board after feeling frustrations around the Bombers, but has pulled out of running for a position after further discussions and is backing Welsh and Muir for the spots.

"I'm comfortable those two guys will do a very good job and I'm happy to support them and back them," Young told AFL.com.au.

"I had great feedback when I put my hand up and I've had a lot of Essendon people in the last year or two say 'You need to put your hand up'. I had some other priorities in my life I had to take care of and now I've got a bit more time on my hands and I thought it was the right time.

"But with those two now coming up for election, I'm comfortable and happy for them to be on the board and I hope they get enough votes to stay on the board.

"I'm told Andrew Muir has done a fabulous job and his contribution's been excellent, so I'm comfortable for him to stay and I know 'Welshy' personally and he's only been on the board a very short time but know he's there for the right reasons and to make the changes that need to be made."

The Bombers are likely to have a number of board challengers after a tumultuous season, with former player Welsh filling the position made vacant by Simon Madden's departure and standing for election. Muir will also seek re-election.

Essendon this week confirmed further changes to its board, with Tim Roberts to fill the position left void by Sean Wellman, and David Wills filling the vacant position left by Peter Allen. Former player Dean Rioli will also join the board as the inaugural First Nations board director at Essendon.

Young said he was backing new president David Barham to lead the Bombers.

"I spoke to Dave when he first took over and I wanted to see what direction he was taking because the decisions the board has made over the last five to 10 years have been poor," he said.

"He's absolutely there for the right reasons, his intentions are right and I think he's starting to make the right moves. I think we've chosen the right coach for us now (Brad Scott), it's important we get the right CEO and they may make some additional changes that I'm not sure of, but I'm certainly comfortable with the direction he's going.

"I said to him if he needs any help, I'm available."

Stacking us with former North Melbourne people is a really fascinating sporting case study.

Are these people going to be 50% more effective with 50% more money and resources? What happens when Charlie Buckets and Richie Rich swap places?

It’s a real life trading places.

Stacking us with former North Melbourne people is a really fascinating sporting case study.

Are these people going to be 50% more effective with 50% more money and resources? What happens when Charlie Buckets and Richie Rich swap places?

It’s a real life trading places.
McPherson is hardly a North person. He was there 1 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back