Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
"If you don't prepare properly, don't give your all on match day, conduct yourself as a professional athlete on and off the field, I don't think you will be here long you will be gifted games based on your age and experience"

Barham is living in a fantasy land where you say words and don't back them up. We all know Brad and the team selection committee and what they stand for.

"If you don't prepare properly, don't give your all on match day, conduct yourself as a professional athlete on and off the field, I don't think you will be here long you will be gifted games based on your age and experience"

Barham is living in a fantasy land where you say words and don't back them up. We all know Brad and the team selection committee and what they stand for.

They’ve been saying the exact same thing for two years.

Just stop with this shit and get to work building a squad that can win a flag.

Well maybe some who people expected games did not prepare like a professional athlete or went of script as far as game plan goes .
There where some team selections they got wrong for sure but that happens at every club that is trying to find a new identity and even some clubs who have found the path.
I would say that the stand with Laverde and Stringer not being offered automatic extensions says we are doin this. Heppell was not gifted too many in the last 6 weeks. They only made one error with Goldy before they parked him. They should have given Parish a VFL game before he got the nod . There where issues but that is part of sorting out where we are at.

I have just seen so much evidence to the contrary that I have a hard time believing this posturing.
Like... if we get another year out of Perkins like the one we just saw in which he doesn't defend or chase or really do much of anything, or if we see Redman looking comfortable in these early years of his extension again next year, or Parish moving back to d50 at a leisurely stroll... are they gonna be booted? Cos I don't suspect they will be...
The hardball on Stringer and Lav is a good start, but I remember Scotty himself saying one of his weaknesses as coach was giving guys too many chances at North... but if these decisions are only made when outcomes have already happened, and not when its abundantly clear that they will, the damage will have already been done

I have just seen so much evidence to the contrary that I have a hard time believing this posturing.
Like... if we get another year out of Perkins like the one we just saw in which he doesn't defend or chase or really do much of anything, or if we see Redman looking comfortable in these early years of his extension again next year, or Parish moving back to d50 at a leisurely stroll... are they gonna be booted? Cos I don't suspect they will be...
The hardball on Stringer and Lav is a good start, but I remember Scotty himself saying one of his weaknesses as coach was giving guys too many chances at North... but if these decisions are only made when outcomes have already happened, and not when its abundantly clear that they will, the damage will have already been done
Well there is no Dodoro in the football department to tell everyone how good his boys are now.
I know Scott has done two seasons now but the first season was more looking at our system and working out how to change the footy department. They ran a basic game plan and put it in cruise control. I know that does not appease the punters but it is what they did. Now it has run another year where they made some serious inroads into the standard of preparation so they next step is personal.
People with call "bull shit" but it is what it is and how they approached it. Right or wrong. It is the product of head hunting a coach that was the third choice who came in late without any in depth list analysis.

well Scott is about to enter year 3 of a 4 year deal.

so the honeymoons over. If he doesn't start results in 2025, that can set up to be bettered in 2026 (his final year), he is goooooooone.

Well maybe some who people expected games did not prepare like a professional athlete or went of script as far as game plan goes .
There where some team selections they got wrong for sure but that happens at every club that is trying to find a new identity and even some clubs who have found the path.
I would say that the stand with Laverde and Stringer not being offered automatic extensions says we are doin this. Heppell was not gifted too many in the last 6 weeks. They only made one error with Goldy before they parked him. They should have given Parish a VFL game before he got the nod . There where issues but that is part of sorting out where we are at.
Lav doesn't seem like the sort of guy who doesn't put in the effort, he is limited talent wise but he does whatever the coach asks of him and puts his body on the line every week.
And to counter Heppell not being gifted games, they kept gifting games to menzie, perkins and cox for far too long this season.
I was all on board with Brad saying similar statements at the end of 2023, but the mixed messaging this year has me worrying it's a bit of talking the talk but not walking the walk.

Lav doesn't seem like the sort of guy who doesn't put in the effort, he is limited talent wise but he does whatever the coach asks of him and puts his body on the line every week.
And to counter Heppell not being gifted games, they kept gifting games to menzie, perkins and cox for far too long this season.
I was all on board with Brad saying similar statements at the end of 2023, but the mixed messaging this year has me worrying it's a bit of talking the talk but not walking the walk.
It is a bit different for Menzie / Perkins / Cox . That is more about future development and in the Menzie case all our small forwards had issues of some kind. How many games does he get if Guelfi is not injured ?
Could also say that if Hobbs does not get injured maybe Perkins goes out of the side sooner. It is not that black and white.

It is a bit different for Menzie / Perkins / Cox . That is more about future development and in the Menzie case all our small forwards had issues of some kind. How many games does he get if Guelfi is not injured ?
Could also say that if Hobbs does not get injured maybe Perkins goes out of the side sooner. It is not that black and white.
I probably shouldn't have named menzie as I think he is in the same boat as Lav of doing whatever is asked of him but a bit limited talent wise.
I think I misunderstood your response as I thought you were bringing up Lav and Hepp as examples of the coaches sticking to their word re rewarding performance/doing what is asked of you in games/on training track.

That is how I read Scott's comments last year and then Barhams today and it's why I feel a bit jaded as I don't think it was consistently shown at selection table nor now in trade period.

I probably shouldn't have named menzie as I think he is in the same boat as Lav of doing whatever is asked of him but a bit limited talent wise.
I think I misunderstood your response as I thought you were bringing up Lav and Hepp as examples of the coaches sticking to their word re rewarding performance/doing what is asked of you in games/on training track.

That is how I read Scott's comments last year and then Barhams today and it's why I feel a bit jaded as I don't think it was consistently shown at selection table nor now in trade period.
Selection had its mysteries but you get that when you are trying to build something out of dust and weeds. Lots of people mock the notion of match sim having "some" bearing on selection until the season gets into the back half but if you can not stay on page in an organized drill then what chance do you have on match day ? Now I will repeat for those who want to take it out of context again , "some" bearing on selection. Not all. Not half. Some. It is a fine line to balance out on field playing ability v ability to follow a game plan early on when they are learning it. The ability to attempt to play the game plan often allows blokes to stay in the side for a period longer than it should based on just looking at output.
In cases like Cox and Perkins I do not personally believe that they did not try . More a case of Cox not having confidence in the body and Perkins is more loss of confidence in simply not having the footy IQ to fulfil the role. I know some call him lazy but it is easy to look lazy when you expend too much energy playing catch up due to not having the ability to transition into the next phase quick enough.
My views are based on talking with various coaches from AFL level guys down to successful local footy coaches and junior coaches.
Because of my very limited athletic ability as far as speed and agility goes my footy career in country footy was based more on how much I could learn about the game and play a role more than ability. I played probably 60/40 as far as senior / reserves footy goes and it was mainly Div 2 and Div 3 level but that quest for an advantage shaped how I look at footy and then a lot of years working as an assistant / development coach at a few clubs has shaped it again. I have never really looked at footy as a spectator / spectator. I am the bloke at the footy that spends most of his time looking where the ball is not.
Not saying I do not get a lot of stuff wrong but it is why I think the way I do.

He’s not a good frontman Barham, some of his media appearances have been torturous. His latest appearance doesn’t fill me with any confidence. But I hear he’s very good behind the scenes. He has the biggest job in football. Essendon are ****ing huge. We are also ****ing embarrassing.
The stress levels must be high.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back