BOOO-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any outcome to the Essendon crowd boo'ing Paddy Ryder?

Just curious, as they were doing it all night
To be fair, Essendon have probably had enough bad press this year.

And their advice would probably to stop being outspoken and doing all he can about the issues he cares about

You don't hire a PR team for them to tell you not to speak. What ever Goodes thinks has currently been hijacked, and the person he is is being portrayed in correctly. PR team would do things like keep the issue to what Goodes actually believes rather than let the Herald beat it up as racism to sell papers.

Would also coach him to speak towards the sort of people who would instantly take what he said in the wrong light.

As usual, Titus O'Reilly has a good take on it...

http://titusoreily.com/man-cant-remember-why-hes-booing-adam-goodes-anymore/

And in his weekly roundup he manages to get a dig in at a channel 7 commentator as per usual, but makes a similar point to what a few have said in this thread

http://titusoreily.com/the-monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-seventeen/

The other problem is that why some people do it for what may be ‘pure’ intentions, there are an awful lot of racists overtones mixing in with this. That’s never a good sign.

It’s like if you have a long held opinion and then suddenly Brian Taylor starts saying the same thing. You start questioning your own thinking on the topic and you definitely stop expressing it publicly.

I’m not trying to be preachy, I’m just saying be careful who you stand near in life, it means people sometime confuse you for something you’re not.

Freedom of Speech means that I defend the rights of the racist to say what he wants to say while disagreeing with what he says. This guilty by association crap you're pedalling doesn't fly. If 95% of the booers booed him because he's a bit of princess and gets unfair compenastion from the flog umps and 5% booed him because of the colour of his skin, how would you tell who was who?! Does that mean that the 95% are wrong to boo given the 5%'s motives?! The fact of the matter is there are several reasons firmly related to the way he conducts himself on the field that would lead to him being booed. Sure, it's not front page news, but it's a sexier story to paint all WCE fans as racist.

I'm not quite sure what your point is. Freedom of speech means the racists can boo if they like they as long as they are not criminally punished, which I am certainly not advocating. I am also not saying people are guilty of racism by association with the racist minority who boo. I just believe that if even only 5% of the boos are racially motivated against a guy who has devoted a large portion of his life to aboriginal welfare then I believe the 95% should take a stand and not boo just because you think he is a princess. More of a symbolic gesture to say that racism is not accepted in today's society. Obviously people value their right to boo above taking a stand which is fine.

As Karl Langdon said yesterday on 6PR straight after the game: No-one was booing Lewis Jetta AT ALL for the first 3 quarters. But as soon as he incited the crowd with his spear throwing gestures he was targeted. Goodes is hiding behind the race card and at the same time exhonerating his dirty sniping actions on the field and pathetic views off racism off it.

Another thing Karl Langon said - he was boo'd by eastern state supporters all of his career. And even on grand final day in 1992 at the end of the game when he stepped up on the podium to receive his premiership medallion he was boo'd. Karl acknowledges he was boo'd because he was a villain of the AFL, and that is exactly why Goodes gets boo'd.

If Eagles fans that were booing Goodes on the weekend are racist, riddle me this - why didnt those same fans boo Jetta for the first 3 quarters?

I just believe that if even only 5% of the boos are racially motivated against a guy who has devoted a large portion of his life to aboriginal welfare then I believe the 95% should take a stand and not boo just because you think he is a princess. More of a symbolic gesture to say that racism is not accepted in today's society. Obviously people value their right to boo above taking a stand which is fine.

You're reading too much into it. As soon as a player steps on the field and acts like a tool then they are boo'ed, plain and simple. The last thing the average punter thinks about in the heat of the game is the good work he does off it.

As Karl Langdon said yesterday on 6PR straight after the game: No-one was booing Lewis Jetta AT ALL for the first 3 quarters. But as soon as he incited the crowd with his spear throwing gestures he was targeted. Goodes is hiding behind the race card and at the same time exhonerating his dirty sniping actions on the field and pathetic views off racism off it.

Another thing Karl Langon said - he was boo'd by eastern state supporters all of his career. And even on grand final day in 1992 at the end of the game when he stepped up on the podium to receive his premiership medallion he was boo'd. Karl acknowledges he was boo'd because he was a villain of the AFL, and that is exactly why Goodes gets boo'd.

If Eagles fans that were booing Goodes on the weekend are racist, riddle me this - why didnt those same fans boo Jetta for the first 3 quarters?
Agree. i rewatched the game and razor ray got booed more than everyone . Racism against my honky surely.

Boomer Harvey on AFL360 embraced the booing he receives and I'd say he'd get quite a lot from opposition supporters.
He admits he is basically doing his job if he is getting under people's skin.

Maybe Goodes to just acknowledge that not everyone needs to like him.

We should stop accusing people who boo of racism by association because we all know that being incorrectly accused of racism is so much worse than actually being affected by racism every single day. They've suffered enough today and under no circumstances should they take a tea-spoon of cement and harden up.

So from what I can tell, the people say they are booing him because:

1. He's a flog who whinges to the refs and sometimes makes dirty plays behind the ball (although we all agree that many AFL players are worse in each regard)

2. Because we paid money for those seats, so dammit, we are allowed to boo.

3. Because the media tells us not to, so we do it louder! (Ergo showing that we are at the emotional level of 5 year olds)

None of that sounds compelling enough to do something that is regarded poorly by seemingly everyone who has ever met Goodes, including players and coaches from our own club, plus the booing has been criticised by basically media commentator out there, and many of our own supporters as well.

You would think that, with sentiment within the AFL community so strongly against the booing of Goodes, that people might step back and say, "you know what, maybe I shouldn't be doing this."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So from what I can tell, the people say they are booing him because:

1. He's a flog who whinges to the refs and sometimes makes dirty plays behind the ball (although we all agree that many AFL players are worse in each regard)

2. Because we paid money for those seats, so dammit, we are allowed to boo.

3. Because the media tells us not to, so we do it louder! (Ergo showing that we are at the emotional level of 5 year olds)

None of that sounds compelling enough to do something that is regarded poorly by seemingly everyone who has ever met Goodes, including players and coaches from our own club, plus the booing has been criticised by basically media commentator out there, and many of our own supporters as well.

You would think that, with sentiment within the AFL community so strongly against the booing of Goodes, that people might step back and say, "you know what, maybe I shouldn't be doing this."

I think you underestimate how ******ed the average punter is, but that doesn't automatically make them a racist.

labelling everyone a racist who boos him is just ridiculous.

Just playing devils advocate here.. but I think some people relate it to kind of like saying I have no problem with the word ****** and you can't call me a racist for saying it because I am not a racist but some people who use the word are.

It's a fact there are racist overtures to Goodes being booed, pretending otherwise is naive. Whilst the very very vast majority of the people there were not booing because of his race, it doesn't mean he didn't think or feel that they were. Similar to the reason why I don't call my black friends ******s, because of the way they feel about the word.

You're reading too much into it. As soon as a player steps on the field and acts like a tool then they are boo'ed, plain and simple. The last thing the average punter thinks about in the heat of the game is the good work he does off it.

And you're making it far too simple. To suggest Adam Goodes' boo-ing is not different to other players' occasional boo-ing is ridiculous. Every single punter who attends the game is aware of the racial controversy surrounding the boo-ing, but make a conscious decision to boo anyway.

And you're making it far too simple. To suggest Adam Goodes' boo-ing is not different to other players' occasional boo-ing is ridiculous. Every single punter who attends the game is aware of the racial controversy surrounding the boo-ing, but make a conscious decision to boo anyway.

Again giving too much credit to the average punter. You would be amazed how uniformed and sheep like people can be when watching a footy game, it turns completely reasonable people into dead set flogs for 2 hours.

I think you underestimate how ******ed the average punter is, but that doesn't automatically make them a racist.

I'm well aware that there are a lot of idiots in the crowd. I'm just saying that basically everybody within the AFL community seems to hate the constant booing of Goodes and the Eagles supporters are being hammered from every angle today, so why do it?

“Growing up as an Indigenous Australian i have seen and experienced my fair share of racism,” Goodes said in his acceptance speech. "It’s shaped my values and what I believe in today. Racism is a community issue that we all need to address.”

Definitely true. I have been called a white c.. a number of times but I have never called anyone black. I grew up in Balga and played footy for Nollamara and have never stooped as low as having a go at someone over race/colour. Racial discrimination is practiced all the time, there are exemptions to our Equal Opportunity Act for aboriginality to be allowed as a reason for choosing someone for a job. No other exemption is allowed.

Australia is trying to make up for the mistakes made in the past by people who are not around any more. Most of us are children of immigrants and were not involved in the policies of the past, Goodes comments quite often are divisive not inclusive. He is getting reasonable Australians off side with his attitude. The problems aboriginals have today are very little to do with racism and more to do with drugs and alcohol and he should highlight the work he is doing with that and not that he thinks we are racists.

As usual, Titus O'Reilly has a good take on it..

"It’s like if you have a long held opinion and then suddenly Brian Taylor starts saying the same thing. You start questioning your own thinking on the topic and you definitely stop expressing it publicly."

Perfect

Just playing devils advocate here.. but I think some people relate it to kind of like saying I have no problem with the word fellow and you can't call me a racist for saying it because I am not a racist but some people who use the word are.

It's a fact there are racist overtures to Goodes being booed, pretending otherwise is naive. Whilst the very very vast majority of the people there were not booing because of his race, it doesn't mean he didn't think or feel that they were. Similar to the reason why I don't call my black friends chaps, because of the way they feel about the word.

There are racists that boo Goodes. No doubt that is a fact. There are racists who boo goodes and then follow up with vile bigoted comments. That also is true. Those people have also been reported to the security, no doubt including by people who booed goodes.

That doesn't make the booing racist. It certainly doesn't mean that everyone who booed is racist or a redneck as has been stated.

I would imagine most don't mind joining in the fun of it because he acts like a complete flog. Everyone will have their own reason - including some being straight out bigots. However calling the booing racist is wrong IMO. He is booed because he is a flog onfield largely. The booing has gathered momentum and now it is good sport.

The bolded bit IMO is an issue for Goodes. Let's say I called Jetta out for a dog act yesterday when he felled Yeo from behnd and then Jetta turns around and says I'm a racist for referring an indigenous person as an animal and therefore sub-human. Then personally - that is his issue. The comment isn't inherently racist. If he chooses to take it that way - that is his bridge to cross.

There are terms and inferences etc that are inherently racist. An ape in particular is one - a gorilla forward is not one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back