BOOO-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about we wait and see how the crowd reacts to Hodge and Mitchell in two weeks before calling people out?
What do you think will happen?

This is a general statement about crowds in the AFL. Someone like Crowley is seen as a bad guy, but he's been suspended once in his career, and never deliberately injured a player. He gets booed. Goodes gets booed for spurious reasons that sound strangely like invented cover stories for racists to hide behind. Actual flogs, the kind that regularly commit dog acts on the field, don't get booed, especially if the media portrays them as 'good blokes'.

Steve Johnson has done more floggish things on the footy field and doesn't get booed nearly a tenth as much as Goodes.

Aboriginal? Check.
Diver? Check.
Remonstrates with umpires? Check.

Sounds like you're describing Lindsay Thomas, or if you take out the Aboriginal part, Steve Johnson. They don't cop it nearly as much from our crowd. So lets look at the differences:

There's a perception that Goodes is favoured by the umpires, and he's outspoken off-field about issues that affect the treatment of his race. If it's the former that gets your goat, then you're probably OK with Naitanui being booed. If it's the latter, then there's some truth to the media harping on about racism. I think it's a combinbation of all of the above, which some people just translate logically into a good reason to boo the man, and the rest are just sheep.

You ignored personality and popular perceptions of character. Both stand separate from ideology.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

He wan booed from the very start, don't try and say it was because he got easy free kicks or because he was getting agitated, it is incorrect.

Sigh, didn't say that.

He's been boo'd for a long long time. It's just growing on previous years and now it's merely topical and relevant. So more join in.

Long time lurker but feel compelled to make a first post.

There are two categories of people who boo Goodes;

1) Racists.

2) People who don't believe they are racist but don't mind identifying themselves with the racist portion as they believe he is a 'flog' so is therefore deserving of being booed. They believe that playing for free kicks is a much more serious concern to them than supporting an aboriginal icon who has done an immeasurable amount of good for the aboriginal and wider Australian community both on and off the field. The health, education and crime rates of the aboriginal community far, far lag behind white Australians and Adam Goodes has devoted a large portion of his life to help address this gap (i.e. co-founded the Go Foundation which provides support for aboriginal kids to go to school).

Quite obviously the majority of the posters who support the booing place themselves in the second category. I just hope next time they stop and think that while they themselves might not be racist they are unwillingly identifying themselves and giving a voice to the racist minority.

He's a footy player - he's gonna get booed. You seem to think we've booed mother teresa. Him getting boos on the footy field has very little to do with his charity work or the colour of his skin. Was Akemanis booed because he was a red head?! Turn it up.

Sigh, didn't say that.

He's been boo'd for a long long time. It's just growing on previous years and now it's merely topical and relevant. So more join in.

You still refuse to address what I believe to be the most important issue. You have admitted that there is a 'racial undercurrent' to it, yet still are happy to defend the people who boo. Surely if you can admit there is a racial element to it, no matter how insignificant you deem it to be in comparison to his 'public image issue', you can't possibly support the boo-ing? Or do you just believe the racial undercurrent is small enough to not worry about? How big does this 'undercurrent' have to be before you would be against the boo-ing? What device are you using to measure this 'undercurrent'?

Nisbett, Simpson and Priddis have all said we shouldn't do it.

Probably a moot point anyway, unless we play Sydney in a home final that was Goodes' last game at Subi against us.

Why is Priddis changing his tune since the Jobe incident?

Simpsons position was more nuanced that a simple "don't do it". Nisbetts position is irrelevant. Same as the AFL's position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nowhere near as much as Goodes has this year.

The people who do it are just sheep. Yeah, you may think he's a flog. So why is no one booing Mitchell, who has spent this year injuring players with cowardly knees? Or Hodge, who has a record of doing the same?

If you boo Goodes, you're just outing yourself as an idiot.

Mitchell was booed a fair bit against the Swans, the game after the kneeing stuff. I suppose the scoreboard against Carlton would have kept the same boos to a bare minimum.

He's a footy player - he's gonna get booed. You seem to think we've booed mother teresa. Him getting boos on the footy field has very little to do with his charity work or the colour of his skin. Was Akemanis booed because he was a red head?! Turn it up.

I'm not saying if you boo him you are a racist or are booing him for the colour of his skin. I'm simply saying there are certainly people who are boo-ing him in part for that reason and I wouldn't want to be associated with them.

By the way, Mother Teresa was a terrible human being who I would wholeheartedly support booing.

You still refuse to address what I believe to be the most important issue. You have admitted that there is a 'racial undercurrent' to it, yet still are happy to defend the people who boo. Surely if you can admit there is a racial element to it, no matter how insignificant you deem it to be in comparison to his 'public image issue', you can't possibly support the boo-ing? Or do you just believe the racial undercurrent is small enough to not worry about? How big does this 'undercurrent' have to be before you would be against the boo-ing? What device are you using to measure this 'undercurrent'?

If a small proportion of people are doing something for racist reasons, does that automatically preclude any right-thinking person from doing the same thing for fear of contributing to the undercurrent?

Apparently racists play Cold Chisel at rallies. Does that mean I can't play Cold Chisel at a party?

Was really hoping to not have to wade back into this but Francis Leach just published one of the most misguided, off point articles on the topic I've ever read in the Age. How people can get paid to label entire waves of people racist is beyond me. Absolute moron. His points would have a little validity if he were more moderate about it, but he's decided to go for the 'every person booing Goodes is a racist' angle. He must have been absent the day they taught about the validity of broad strokes in journalism. Taking the holier than thou position and labelling footy fans across the country, such a ridiculous generalised article.

http://m.theage.com.au/comment/adam...ome-a-redneck-wonderland-20150727-gil6e2.html
His point is that every person booing Goodes knows the racial elements that exist around the booing and yet they still choose to boo, helping those elements stay around.

Nowhere near as much as Goodes has this year.

The people who do it are just sheep. Yeah, you may think he's a flog. So why is no one booing Mitchell, who has spent this year injuring players with cowardly knees? Or Hodge, who has a record of doing the same?

If you boo Goodes, you're just outing yourself as an idiot.
Jesus there are a lot of people generalising and putting everyone in the same basket.
I boo Boomer, does that still mean I am an idiot when I boo Goodes? Really?

If a small proportion of people are doing something for racist reasons, does that automatically preclude any right-thinking person from doing the same thing for fear of contributing to the undercurrent?

Apparently racists play Cold Chisel at rallies. Does that mean I can't play Cold Chisel at a party?
Of course you can, but if you played Cold Chisel non stop the night after one of the rallies, when you normally listen to Taylor Swift and One Direction, it would raise questions.

Obviously it is a complex issue without a clear set of guidelines but you can't seriously compare those two situations and expect it to be a strong argument. If Cold Chisel were playing a set at a racist rally would you rock up and listen or think to yourself that maybe you don't want to associate yourself with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back