Bowden's tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: That is why there should be 3 points brought in.

Very Unsportsmanlike from Joel Bowden.

Just broke the hearts of us Bomber fans even more....

AFL must bring in the 3 point rule to stop that crap

You're an idiot and deserve a ban.

Why start another thread ********?

Their is a 16 page thread about this topic, nothing but trying to get attention from an obviously sore loser.
The funniest thing was the look on the bomber "cheer" squad right behind him.
If any of your players had half a clue they would have forced the issue and made a 50metre penalty out of it.

You would already know this if you read one of many threads on this exact same topic:rolleyes:

Which Club started the icing of the clock???? ESSENDON

Does Mal Michael do the same thing????? YES

Are essendon a bunch of sooks?????? YES

so just STFU

we whinge when the afl brings in new rules and all you numbats want rule changes........

go back to grade 4

Essendon should of been smart and given away a 50m penatly.

People should ask the question of whether there team was in the position of Essendon last night whether they'd feel the same way.

Sure it was smart play as it utilized the rules of the game to one's advantage to ensure a win. I think the best move here would be to introduce a rule that any rushed behinds from a kick in are 3 points. Instead of saying 'stop sooking' why don't people address the issue at hand.

If this was a final of any description this would be a much bigger story. It is a farce that a game can end like this, sure if Brisbane get in the same position next week then id be happy for them to do the same thing as the rules allow it, but that doesn't mean that the AFL should do something to stop this legal tactic being continued.

It is no different to deliberate out of bounds and the AFL need to recognize this. A rule which states that any rushed behind recorded from a kick in without the team touching the ball should be scored as 3 points.

The issue here is the 'kick in'. This would stop any grey area in an umpire interpretating whether a ball has been rushed or not in general play that could come in if a blanket rule is introduced for 3 points for a rushed behind.

Instead of getting stuck into Essendon fans why don't some of you come up with a counter argument on how this rule could not benefit the game. The final scenes yesterday would have been awful if it had occured on a Grand Final. The AFL should do something to ensure that the spectacle of the game is ensured.

Two words MAL MICHAEL

If a players foot touches the line when kicking out, there is a ball up from the top of the square.

If a player forces the ball out of bounds deliberately (through the opposition goal when kicking in) then he gets another kick.

Hmmmm....

Yes, Spudley..and the opposition get's awarded a point....one of a few reasons why those bits between the goalposts are not counted as "out of bounds"...:eek:

Yes, Spudley..and the opposition get's awarded a point....one of a few reasons why those bits between the goalposts are not counted as "out of bounds"...:eek:
Hey boys what if had repeated this 5 times would,t that have been good TV viewing.Imagine a granny with a world wide audience watching ! they would reckon we are mad?

Hey boys what if had repeated this 5 times would,t that have been good TV viewing.Imagine a granny with a world wide audience watching ! they would reckon we are mad?

No madder than American football where if there's less than a minute to go and the team leading has the ball they all just walk off.

I really hope they don't **** with the scoring system because of this.

IF there is a need to do something (and I'm not convinced there is), then make it a requirement that the kick-in is a legal kick i.e. minimum 15 metres.

Imagine it was an Essendon player doing in in the Grand Final, would you really care if it won you the game?

Joel displayed true humanity in letting the Essendon hordes down gently. If he wanted to be a ****, he could've passed the ball to Laycock so he could miss after the siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two words MAL MICHAEL

Once again, you fail to argue the point, instead you divert attention.

Im not saying Richmond didnt deserve the win. Im just saying that the AFL should change the rule. Why?

I would have thought it pretty obvious why.

People are so blinded by their team that they cant see logic. Does it benefit the game to have a team rushing behinds instead of playing football. NO

It is no different to tactics which have been made illegal such as timewasting, kicking the ball into the crowd after it crosses the goal post, and most recently, taking half an hour to have a shot at goal. It is a smart yet cowardly tactic, sure if the Lions won a premiership with the tactic i'd be happy. How could you not.

What i want is the AFL to step in and ensure that the temptation to use this tactic is removed. There is a fair chance we will see it again before the end of the season, now that it has been highlighted. So lets bookmark this thread, and see if the people so against it change their tune when the tide turns.

Imagine it was an Essendon player doing in in the Grand Final, would you really care if it won you the game?

Why don't we imagine your team was in the place of Essendon.

Would you not be a bit angry?

Don't bring goal-kicking into it.

As a smart, fair spectator would you not be a bit disappointed that a great game had come down to one side intentionally rushing behinds to ice the clock?

Do you think that is a good advertisement for the game?

So, you don't think the ball is out of play when it goes through for a score? If it isn't out of bounds, it must be still in play then huh? Other than 'you get awarded points for the ball going through here', could you tell me what are the "few reasons" the bits between the goalposts (I would have used 'point posts' myself) are not counted as "out of bounds"?

If you think somehow I am bagging Bowden and Richmond (and I can only assume this since you barrack for the Tiges and felt need to call me Spudley) then you are wrong. Bowden played it smart and within the rules. Well done and good luck to him. I just think the rules are a little incongruous when you have no real penalty for what amounts to blatant time-wasting (which there is rules against).

I think a rushed behind should be a ball-up at the top of the square. And no, not a fist in a marking contest, an actual rushed behind where the player chooses to take the ball out of play. I suppose this would lead to interpretation nightmares though, and we already have enough of those.

Once again, you fail to argue the point, instead you divert attention.

Im not saying Richmond didnt deserve the win. Im just saying that the AFL should change the rule. Why?

I would have thought it pretty obvious why.

People are so blinded by their team that they cant see logic. Does it benefit the game to have a team rushing behinds instead of playing football. NO

It is no different to tactics which have been made illegal such as timewasting, kicking the ball into the crowd after it crosses the goal post, and most recently, taking half an hour to have a shot at goal. It is a smart yet cowardly tactic, sure if the Lions won a premiership with the tactic i'd be happy. How could you not.

What i want is the AFL to step in and ensure that the temptation to use this tactic is removed. There is a fair chance we will see it again before the end of the season, now that it has been highlighted. So lets bookmark this thread, and see if the people so against it change their tune when the tide turns.

Did you watch the game. Did you see Bowden kick out to McMahon about 10 seconds before the siren and McMahon start running? They didn't know there was only a few seconds left. There could have easily been another 30 seconds. Time for someone to come at McMahon and force him to kick to a contest.

Bowden didn't just stand there and keep putting it through for a behind until time expired. He could have and it would have been legal. But he didn't. The only reason he rushed the behinds was because he had no better alternative. When one was presented, he took it.

This is such a non-issue.

Did you watch the game. Did you see Bowden kick out to McMahon about 10 seconds before the siren and McMahon start running? They didn't know there was only a few seconds left. There could have easily been another 30 seconds. Time for someone to come at McMahon and force him to kick to a contest.

Bowden didn't just stand there and keep putting it through for a behind until time expired. He could have and it would have been legal. But he didn't. The only reason he rushed the behinds was because he had no better alternative. When one was presented, he took it.

This is such a non-issue.

Then reward the team who has zoned up well. Id expect the Lions to do the same thing, lets get that straight, as the rules allow it, but id hope the AFL would change the rule to make it a free kick in the goal square. In the situation where a team decides to rush a behind to ice the clock their main aim is to close down time. They are not concerned about the points given away. They are obviously in front by more then 1 or 2 points. The tactic is basically time wasting, in that they play on then wait for a player to come to them and then walk the ball over the line. It is an obvious time wasting tactic no different to deliberate out of bounds. As such, it should be penalised with a free kick in the goal square to the opposition team.

Surely people can understand that while it is within the rules currently, it is a shocking way to end a game for the spectator. The very nature of the tactic means that its only going to be used during tight games, now that the tactic has been highlighted we could well see an increase in its use.

Then reward the team who has zoned up well. Id expect the Lions to do the same thing, lets get that straight, as the rules allow it, but id hope the AFL would change the rule to make it a free kick in the goal square. In the situation where a team decides to rush a behind to ice the clock their main aim is to close down time. They are not concerned about the points given away. They are obviously in front by more then 1 or 2 points. The tactic is basically time wasting, in that they play on then wait for a player to come to them and then walk the ball over the line. It is an obvious time wasting tactic no different to deliberate out of bounds. As such, it should be penalised with a free kick in the goal square to the opposition team.

Surely people can understand that while it is within the rules currently, it is a shocking way to end a game for the spectator. The very nature of the tactic means that its only going to be used during tight games, now that the tactic has been highlighted we could well see an increase in its use.

you open up a whole can of worms
1stly what constitutes "icing the clock"...what happens if it happened before 1/2 or 3/4 time? Is there a minute left mark where it is "icing"?

Also why make up a rule to close a loophole that has only been used once?:confused:

you open up a whole can of worms
1stly what constitutes "icing the clock"...what happens if it happened before 1/2 or 3/4 time? Is there a minute left mark where it is "icing"?

Also why make up a rule to close a loophole that has only been used once?:confused:

You close a loophole to a rule to stop it being used again. Often it comes to attention the first time the rule is exploited. :rolleyes:

Secondly, it is not opening up a can of worms at all. It is a simple rulechange. Pay a free kick to the opposing team when the team kicking in registers a behind when the opposing team doesn't touch the ball.

Basically, it will be the same as kicking the ball out without the other team touching it which is currently in play.

Simple rule change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowden's tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back