Bowden's tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Next rule change - 3 points for a rushed behind.

For sure, after the last 28 seconds of the Richmond Essendon clash.

Joel Bowden rushes a point - then kicks to himself to start the clock, then waits for the Essendon player to come up to him, then rushes it again. Chews down the clock, game over.

Well it's within the current rules and is smart play. Why put your team into any unnecessary risk? Agree it's not pretty but I don't see a rule change as an answer, I'd propose to leave it as is.

Can we stop being so reactionary?

What next?

Buddy kicks 180 goals in 2009 so we reduce the value of a goal to 3 points?

yeah there are arguments for it, but it could also bring about even more confusion for umpires. i can jsut see them screwing that up too....

anyways well done to bowden.. it was smart play

I don't see how even an umpire could find that confusing.

I'm not usually a big fan of rule changes but I agree re: 3 points for a rushed behind.

Disgrace.

That's why he his thought of as a soft, cheap, front running player.

There'll be a rule change for this next year. It's a blight on the game and it soured an otherwise great game.

Stop whinging.

What Bowden did was neither soft, cheap, nor did it prove that he was a front-runner.

All it proved is that he was calm when under pressure. Unlike Laycock.

As long as there's no rule against it, its perfectly fine. The fooballer's number 1 priority is to win by any means neccesary within the rules.

You could keep it at 1 point for normal play but a free kick if done from the kick-in without touching another player just as done if putting it out of bounds from the kick-in.

Re: Joel Bowden

I don't hold it against him and would expect an Essendon player to do the same thing.

However, the AFL have shown through the NAB cup that they are keen to reduce the amount of rushed behinds.

I'm not dirty on that, game was there for us to win.

Question though: How much more exciting would that have been if it was 3 points for a rushed behind then? Bowden would have needed to go for a kick in and that would have been more enjoyable to watch then rushed behinds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disgrace.

There'll be a rule change for this next year. It's a blight on the game and it soured an otherwise great game.

No more than a blight of running/milking the clock in the dying seconds/minutes of the game by chipping it around, a tactic I believe started by Essendon against Geelong about a dozen or so years ago.

Very smart by Bowden, why wouldn't you do it?

Disgrace.

im pretty sure that's not why he is thought of a soft, cheap, front running player. i assumed he got that tag by zoning off his man to rebound the tigers from defence. you're probably right though.

he played it well though. carn the tiges.

Disgrace.

Thankfully for you the majority of sensible Essendon supporters have an ounce of sense and arent bitching about it.

A rule change you reckon? Because Jason Loves c*ck cant kick?

Now you know how it feels to be in this situation. Richmond lost a game two years ago thanks to a Hands in the back rule. Suck it up princess. :thumbsu:

hate to see Essendon doing it if we were in that situation.

Rubbish. You'd be screaming at the bloke kicking in if he turned it over and cost you the game. Flog. :thumbsu:

I don't see how even an umpire could find that confusing.

I'm not usually a big fan of rule changes but I agree re: 3 points for a rushed behind.

Lloyd kicks it to the goalsquare and Lucas is about to mark it but Wakelin punches it through for a behind...or did he spoil it?

Defenders already have a 100 rules against them...this would eliminate the need for defenders and increase the need for midfielders (doubling up as defenders)

796.jpg

Rightio.... Port supporter needs a tissue after the Dons loss today ? Get a clue, tool.

Can we stop being so reactionary?

What next?

Buddy kicks 180 goals in 2009 so we reduce the value of a goal to 3 points?

Agreed mate.

As I said in the other thread, I'm not happy that we lost but what he did was within the rules so fair play.

Let's just keep changing the rules every other year over a couple of isolated incidents...yeah that's great for the game :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowden's tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back