Bowling injury (finger).

Remove this Banner Ad

Dewyyyyy

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So this is just something I thought I would ask.

Last season and in my first net session yesterday. Both bowling a lot and even generally, I get blisters on my bowling finger (my left middle finger). These are small little pockets of like a clear blister. If I stop bowling they go away, if I don’t then they pop, and the skin tears off leaving the raw stuff underneath.

I had it really bad last year, late in the year my finger looked entirely red raw with tiny chunks missing purely from bowling through it, it’s entirely painful. The whole thing would be constantly bleeding and my entire leg would be covered in blood as I would wipe it and hold it to try stop it.

I’m not sure what to do, I have heard Starc dealt with it and Moeen Ali as a spinner.

IMG_1036.jpeg

Tape/bandaid doesn’t work as it often isn’t allowed and even then it makes it hard to handle the ball.

Would it be worth trying to go to a doctor? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and is a good discussion point nonetheless.

Nobody has ever said this before, but BigCricket could be useful to you.

See this thread (and be sure to check out advice from Daphne Benaud on page 2):

Nobody has ever said this before, but BigCricket could be useful to you.

See this thread (and be sure to check out advice from Daphne Benaud on page 2):
Awesome but I’m a fast bowler, presume it may be similar tho. Not sure why I experience it more than others.

Would like to bump this as I can’t see anything.

Going to look into some creams, but I feel it comes from my skin being too soft on my hands?

Gonna look at a thin tape too and see if that could be an option.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Awesome but I’m a fast bowler, presume it may be similar tho. Not sure why I experience it more than others.
If your bowling seam up I would check how your ball release is and how you are holding the ball .
Unless you bowl absolute rockets if the above are right it really shouldn't happen unless your a spinner or bowl English style seamers

you could always go the Graeme Swann method... ewww!
Not even the weirdest thing Graeme used to do

Would like to bump this as I can’t see anything.

Going to look into some creams, but I feel it comes from my skin being too soft on my hands?

Gonna look at a thin tape too and see if that could be an option.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Going to give you a very left-field suggestion Dom, but one thing that was suggested to me as a guitarist trying to play faster was to soak the fingers of my fretting hand (in this case your bowling hand) in methylated spirits; the purpose is to make your skin a lot tougher to assist with fretting. All you need to do is just keep the fingers in the metho while you're watching TV, but then need to ensure you wash them thoroughly after 15 minutes or so (do NOT go near an open flame while doing this).

Going to give you a very left-field suggestion Dom, but one thing that was suggested to me as a guitarist trying to play faster was to soak the fingers of my fretting hand (in this case your bowling hand) in methylated spirits; the purpose is to make your skin a lot tougher to assist with fretting. All you need to do is just keep the fingers in the metho while you're watching TV, but then need to ensure you wash them thoroughly after 15 minutes or so (do NOT go near an open flame while doing this).

Not that I can play guitar especially fast but I do tend to suffer occasionally from my fingers getting worn quite a bit but I was once told exactly the same and it did work to some degree

If your bowling seam up I would check how your ball release is and how you are holding the ball .
Unless you bowl absolute rockets if the above are right it really shouldn't happen unless your a spinner or bowl English style seamers
Im not super quick but enough, but definitely a seam/swing bowler and my fingers naturally flick the seam pretty hard, which I’ve tried to change with looser grips but can’t manage to figure it out.

Gotcha, one of my mates who does guitar suggested apple cider vinegar and going to give that a try too.

Not that I can play guitar especially fast but I do tend to suffer occasionally from my fingers getting worn quite a bit but I was once told exactly the same and it did work to some degree
Used to do a similar thing for Rowing blisters on your palm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowling injury (finger).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back