Box Hill v Williamstown - Saturday 24.05.08

Remove this Banner Ad

Dowler!!!! Marks in the goal square and goes back to kick his 4th straight goal.

BHH 10.9.69

Will 11.9.75

Although Willy just scored another goal

BHH 10.9.69

W 12.9.81

Brendon Whitecross gets a goal but Willy have kicked a few this Q.

Note: 35 BHH is NOT J Morton.

BHH 11.9.75

Willy 18.11. 119

3 / 4 time score - 10 goals Willy to 4 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds a bit like Hawthorn 2 or 3 years ago when we'd be competitive for 50-60% of the game but then get 10 goals kicked on us in a quarter.

Good to hear Dowler kicking a few and Suckling playing in the ones :eek:

umpires have not given us anything, and have looked after willi. many 50-50 decisions have gone their way, and with a few goals on top of that, the players have droppped their heads.

dowler should've kicked another when his player ran under the ball, and dowler followed him and then tugged his jumper to get back to get any easy goal, but gave away the free (which was on on this occasion). all he had to do is watch the ball, instead of following his man under and it wouldv'e been an easy goal.

he's a forward, and a forward should be leading the defender. regardless of whether he gets poor delivery, if he doesn't do the fundamentals like being in front, he will not make it at AFL level.

question marks on his pace must be asked. a forward cannot thrive without some pace to get out on a lead.

thorp has also struggled, but a lot of the time he's been outnumber in defence because the willi mids are running in front, which is cheating football but when box hill are continually turning the ball over, they can afford to take that risk. i don't mind seeing thorp back and taking the kick ins because it allows him to become accustomed to the play and understanding where to move and when to kick/handball. will be good learning for him, provided he doesn't get down on himself when the opposition thrash us.

it takes a pretty strong character to continually get thumped and keep trying week after week. on one hand it can show a players true mettle, alike to kokoda, but the other side is that the player can be demoralised and lose the self belief that the person had when they got drafted.

its crisis time, and there needs to be changes at box hill, by either game plan, more suport staff or any other method of reinvigorating the players.

umpires have not given us anything, and have looked after willi. many 50-50 decisions have gone their way, and with a few goals on top of that, the players have droppped their heads.

dowler should've kicked another when his player ran under the ball, and dowler followed him and then tugged his jumper to get back to get any easy goal, but gave away the free (which was on on this occasion). all he had to do is watch the ball, instead of following his man under and it wouldv'e been an easy goal.

he's a forward, and a forward should be leading the defender. regardless of whether he gets poor delivery, if he doesn't do the fundamentals like being in front, he will not make it at AFL level.

question marks on his pace must be asked. a forward cannot thrive without some pace to get out on a lead.

thorp has also struggled, but a lot of the time he's been outnumber in defence because the willi mids are running in front, which is cheating football but when box hill are continually turning the ball over, they can afford to take that risk. i don't mind seeing thorp back and taking the kick ins because it allows him to become accustomed to the play and understanding where to move and when to kick/handball. will be good learning for him, provided he doesn't get down on himself when the opposition thrash us.

it takes a pretty strong character to continually get thumped and keep trying week after week. on one hand it can show a players true mettle, alike to kokoda, but the other side is that the player can be demoralised and lose the self belief that the person had when they got drafted.

its crisis time, and there needs to be changes at box hill, by either game plan, more suport staff or any other method of reinvigorating the players.

Just back from the game, but I do agree with what are saying. A few times Dowler seemed to be out of position. Thought he could of had a couple more if he had played in front and watched the ball not his man. Not all bad news though he did produce a couple of nice moments.

First time I have watched Box Hill this year and for what it's worth here's my opinion of the senior listed players..

Renouf,

Didn't get a whole lot of it but was BHills only ruckman for the day. I like him and I have no doubt that he will make it as an AFL RUCKMAN. He is not a KPP player and will make his mark as a versatile ruckman with great endurance. I like the fact that he is behind taylor at the moment as he needs plenty of game time to find his rythym. Has a few players in front of him(Bailey?) but that only adds great depth to our ruck stocks.

Whitecross

Lived up to everything I read about him the draft. Great skills, good poise and good footy smarts. Still adapting to senior footy but will only get better with more game time and experience. ***No doubt that the Gold Coast leechers will be watching him very closely!!!!****

Thorp

Looked great until he got injured - a class above most playing today. Thorp will a great player for the Hawks once he gets fit and gets his body right - it's only a matter of time, still agree with the early comaprisons with Pavlich, very silimniar to the Freo champ in style and build.

Dowler

Kicked four - should have been five but honestly I just don't know. Looks to have the skills-(great kick for goal), footy smarts and strength- (has bulked up plenty) but something isn't quite right mentally me thinks i.e his defensive sklls are poor and he just doesn't seem to work hard enough for the ball when it's a contested possession. Does Beau Dowler have the mongrel in him to really make his mark??? Time will tell I guess

Moss

Runs hard and is tough as nails but no. Don't think that he has enough tricks in his bag to force his way into the senior team. Hate to say it but young Gary may be delisted by the end of the year.

Grima

Puts his head over the ball and runs hard but hard to see him being elevated at the end of the year.

Suckling

Nearly fell off my chair when I saw him on the ground - he does exist!!! Shanked a simple shot at goal early on but I can see why we have persisted with him - has silky skills and looks a likely type. All means bugger all unless he can stay fit and string a few games together, agin jusy out.

First time I have watched Box Hill this year and for what it's worth here's my opinion of the senior listed players..

Renouf,

Didn't get a whole lot of it but was BHills only ruckman for the day. I like him and I have no doubt that he will make it as an AFL RUCKMAN. He is not a KPP player and will make his mark as a versatile ruckman with great endurance. I like the fact that he is behind taylor at the moment as he needs plenty of game time to find his rythym. Has a few players in front of him(Bailey?) but that only adds great depth to our ruck stocks.

Whitecross

Lived up to everything I read about him the draft. Great skills, good poise and good footy smarts. Still adapting to senior footy but will only get better with more game time and experience. ***No doubt that the Gold Coast leechers will be watching him very closely!!!!****

Thorp

Looked great until he got injured - a class above most playing today. Thorp will a great player for the Hawks once he gets fit and gets his body right - it's only a matter of time, still agree with the early comaprisons with Pavlich, very silimniar to the Freo champ in style and build.

Dowler

Kicked four - should have been five but honestly I just don't know. Looks to have the skills-(great kick for goal), footy smarts and strength- (has bulked up plenty) but something isn't quite right mentally me thinks i.e his defensive sklls are poor and he just doesn't seem to work hard enough for the ball when it's a contested possession. Does Beau Dowler have the mongrel in him to really make his mark??? Time will tell I guess

Moss

Runs hard and is tough as nails but no. Don't think that he has enough tricks in his bag to force his way into the senior team. Hate to say it but young Gary may be delisted by the end of the year.

Grima

Puts his head over the ball and runs hard but hard to see him being elevated at the end of the year.

Suckling

Nearly fell off my chair when I saw him on the ground - he does exist!!! Shanked a simple shot at goal early on but I can see why we have persisted with him - has silky skills and looks a likely type. All means bugger all unless he can stay fit and string a few games together, agin jusy out.

After seeing the guys on TV for the first time it is a matter of when not if Thorp, Whitecross and Dowler play seniors in the future.

Thorp and Whitecross just look and move a class above VFL level and anybody who knows footy would see this.

Dowler, while still learning, has the tools to be a regular AFL player, however he will have to be paitient as to when a spot opens up for him in our best 22. Would look such a better player with decent delivery to him, as Box Hills is nothing short of shithouse and hardly gives him a chance. His confidence would also rise knowing guys like Mitchell, Hodge, Birchall, Dew and Ladson are kicking to him.

Renouf looks to be OK as well but will need time.

Overall very happy with our youngsters. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Yeah I'd go along with most of that Galagher.

People kept saying that Renouf could be a kp player, but today, and his form this year in the ruck, has shown that his place is definitely as a ruck. Very encouraging to seem him show anger and try to brute his way in ruck contest. I see a lot of young Cambell and Taylor about him in the way that he is very mobile and contests the clearance with 2nd and 3rd efforts. certainly not his fault for the poor performance.

whitecross did enough by getting a fair amount of it, and his skills and decision making were pretty sound.

thorp injured again, which is becoming a pattern that could derail a fantastic career.

dowler lacks pace IMO. he really has to work hard in that area, because he won't make forward or defender with the current mobility that leaves his behind and not in enough contests.

moss should be persisted with. he's got good skill, and he had a lot of ferocity and attack on the ball but meant nothing because he was outnumber very often. his 1 problem is his height, but given how mcglynn made the step up, plus he was a more mature player probably older than moss, I think another preseason could see him getting more snr games.

rookies showed little IMO. Considering stokes will get promoted, unless they make a drastic improvement, it may appear harsh, but they're not where us HFC supporters should be focusing.

noticed morton didn't play, despite being named - any reason?

mcentee still in the 2nds i presume isn't looking too flash.

one thing that i liked about the way they played, was that they weren't soft; they went in pretty hard but just weren't good enough, or else possibly they can't execute the game plan.

overall looking at those players, many are showing improvement which is pleasing, but if we don't win a game soon, the rest of the year could get really ugly and terrible for young players to be part of.

Renouf,

Whitecross

Thorp

Dowler

Moss

Grima

Suckling

Zac?

Some comments from watching on TV...

Dowler - thought was pretty good in the first half, considering the delivery from the mids. Did get caught behind a few times but also seemed to do some good leads only for the kicks to go nowhere near him. Would have liked to be at the ground to see what he was doing off the ball. Get the impression that sometimes he sits back trying to read the likely poor kick into the fwd line which looks bad on the rare occasion BH actually give him decent delivery. Would have been interesting to see how many he would of got if BH had continued there good work in the second half. Has got to do a bit of work on his intensity at ground level and pace, bit considering the comments over the season so far thought he still looked like a good prospect and in the team that could kick to advantage think he could do very well. Kicked a silky crumbing goal that showed he can be more than lead and mark.

Whitecross - looks a likely type, good pace balance and skills. Would like to see him get a run on a wing in the seniors some time, but definetly something to work with there.

Suckling - have never really heard of him before but was impressed. Seemed to very creative by hand (often doing 25m handpasses that hit the target) and seems to have a pretty penetrating kick on him. Has something about him that makes me think that he could make it as a outside mid/hbf, thogh still a lot of work to do.

Thorp - thought was pretty average til he went off. has great skills off both feet, but didnt seem to have the presence i thought he would have.

Dawson - hard game to judge from the TV. Didnt seem to get beaten one one one but with the other defenders fairly average seemed to be trying to come across and help out which didnt always work.

Moss- just doesnt have enough for me.

Renouf - worked hard, seemed to pop up everywhere, a good competitor, he really throws his body in at ground level. Pretty good considering hes 3/4th in line for the ruck position.

BH really need that extra 4-5 hawthron listed players in their team to have a chance.

Only saw it on the box. So that is what Suckling looks like. Looks good when he has the footy.

Grima is coming along. Is improving and will press for promotion.

Mossy - needs to do a lot more. Some pretty poor defensive efforts.

IF I had to promote one player for next week from that lot - Grima. Not a great thought.

For those that are in the know at BHH. Is the entire list available for selection or do some of the seconds players only want to play for the seconds?

Noticed in the 2nd Quarter as I was walking in a young Jarryd Morton by was leaving the stadium with his bag.

Looked as if he came to play but was advised to pack his bags (for bigger things ofcourse) :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Box Hill v Williamstown - Saturday 24.05.08

Remove this Banner Ad

Back