Rumour Brad Dick

Remove this Banner Ad

Could probably play the damaging loose man in defence ala Roger Hayden if given a pre-season with the backline group. We could really use him up forward too, provided the ball gets sent up there enough.

No, if he plays, he plays as a damaging small forward. nothing else... we are in extreme need of another quality small forward

Could probably play the damaging loose man in defence ala Roger Hayden if given a pre-season with the backline group. We could really use him up forward too, provided the ball gets sent up there enough.

Are you high? No one with a football brain would think of putting Dick into the backline. :thumbsdown:
Hopefully Walters sees this as a wake up call, competition for spots now. Roger Hayden already said that he will work closely with Walters, hopefully he can get him going.

Are you high? No one with a football brain would think of putting Dick into the backline. :thumbsdown:
Hopefully Walters sees this as a wake up call, competition for spots now. Roger Hayden already said that he will work closely with Walters, hopefully he can get him going.

And yep...you are more than likely right.
TBH...I was only being facetious when asking the question about Dick in the backline but Im pretty sure that the same was said about Tarrant on this board. From what I remember ...anyone who was suggesting that Tarrant could play as a backman was on crack. Maybe Neon in the backline had the same reaction.
People that have a football brain will rule out nothing.

And yep...you are more than likely right.
TBH...I was only being facetious when asking the question about Dick in the backline but Im pretty sure that the same was said about Tarrant on this board. From what I remember ...anyone who was suggesting that Tarrant could play as a backman was on crack. Maybe Neon in the backline had the same reaction.
People that have a football brain will rule out nothing.

Fair call, Tarrant and Davis becoming defenders was a suprise, but if you think about it, Tarrant has good closing speed, strong body and reads the ball and Davis is a beautiful kick and reads the play. Dick in MY opinion wouldn't come close to being a defender. Hes a small forward

So yeah, I'm not high, no.

We may need him up forward, but hey, we also needed Son Son to step up in the forward line. And Mellington etc. Who's to say we NEED Dick up forward anyway, he hasn't even set foot on the training field for Freo yet so how could one even know that?

So yeah, I'm not high, no.

We may need him up forward, but hey, we also needed Son Son to step up in the forward line. And Mellington etc. Who's to say we NEED Dick up forward anyway, he hasn't even set foot on the training field for Freo yet so how could one even know that?

well my personal opinion is that walters wont make it... and mellington will probably end up being a high half forward or even a midfielder... I really do think we need a quality small forward, if dick can stay out of it (injury that is ;)) then he could be the answer. he really looked a player a few years ago :thumbsu:

well my personal opinion is that walters wont make it... and mellington will probably end up being a high half forward or even a midfielder... I really do think we need a quality small forward, if dick can stay out of it (injury that is ;)) then he could be the answer. he really looked a player a few years ago :thumbsu:

He did, and come to think of it he is very similar to Roger Hayden. Aboriginal, 182cm's, 80Kg's and perhaps even more injury prone. Obviously play at opposite ends of the ground. Hopefully he plays more games that Roger did.

Part of his problem is the twisting and turning as a forward pocket. Not that he'd avoid that in the backline, but closing speed was something Dick had in spades. I can see the logic, could give him a career rather than a wheelchair

Pretty well any player capable of playing good footy in the forward line could play successfully in the back half.
In his early days Roger was a useful small forward.

Personally, I'm just astounded they're even considering Brad Dick. We've just come off a season of injury plague. So what do they do........ just invite the footy version of a train wreck to come down for a run.
Really ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I'm just astounded they're even considering Brad Dick. We've just come off a season of injury plague. So what do they do........ just invite the footy version of a train wreck to come down for a run.
Really ???

And if we take him with our last pick in the rookie draft whats the big deal??

If he can get out on the field will be a huge asset. Cant rule out that the bloke has just been particularly unlucky. In name and fortune.

Really ???

dude, its a rookie pick and a late one at that.... reward here is much greater than the risk. if he breaks down he will be on our list for one year and get paid around 40K.... if he comes good we could have a player as good as jeff garlett to free up balla

dude, its a rookie pick and a late one at that.... reward here is much greater than the risk. if he breaks down he will be on our list for one year and get paid around 40K.... if he comes good we could have a player as good as jeff garlett to free up balla
Maybe so KPR. Only, I can think of any number of players that will probably still be up for grabs in the rookie draft who would all present less risk of breaking down (Fev, Del'Ollio and Blackwell come to mind off the top of my head) and plenty who are coming off good seasons. My guess is that Lloyd/Bond will once again find some hidden gems from state-level competitions to fill the majority of the rookie spots. Feel sorry for BD but ultimately he's had nearly as many season ending re-constructions as Lee Walker....... there were a few clubs that got burnt just hoping his luck would change too !

Really ???

Maybe we're thinking it this way; if he can survive a season at Freo, then his body will hold up to AFL anywhere ...

But seriously, I know where you're coming from. There's been plenty of obviously injury plagued but talented players that teams just hang on to for too long or bring into their list in the hope that it all comes good ... history shows it rarely does.

Still, as others have said the talent to risk factor is there. It does depend on who's still out there, but I'd be happy with taking a punt with Dick with a late rookie pick and seeing how it goes.

Maybe so KPR. Only, I can think of any number of players that will probably still be up for grabs in the rookie draft who would all present less risk of breaking down (Fev, Del'Ollio and Blackwell come to mind off the top of my head) and plenty who are coming off good seasons. My guess is that Lloyd/Bond will once again find some hidden gems from state-level competitions to fill the majority of the rookie spots. Feel sorry for BD but ultimately he's had nearly as many season ending re-constructions as Lee Walker....... there were a few clubs that got burnt just hoping his luck would change too !

there may be hidden gold at the last rookie selection, im thinking dick will be a better player long term than any of those three you mention. I dont see what the fuss is on del'ollio, im a sth freo member and he has never done anything to wow me... fev is a nut, who wilst talented, i doubt would be any good over here away from his support network... and i have heard blackwell say in person that he simply isnt interested in being an afl player anymore, however on blackwell he may be trying to not get his hopes up. I just think we are screaming out for another quality small forward and dick would be that... if he can stay on the park, at 40K for one year, its worth a punt... especially with our hit rate at the moment

. I dont see what the fuss is on del'ollio

Then, surely you might've noticed he kicked 55 goals, runner-up in the Naylor medal (not as a kpp) in a team that finished 4th and his accuracy rate was top notch on either foot........ and I am not a Souths supporter, but I sure as hell noticed him! The times of ignoring top results at WAFL level are gone. If some of our other LISTED rookies were achieving those sort of stats we would all be screaming loudly to get them into the lineup. Unfortunately many of our listed rookies can hardly get a kick in the WAFL and probably never will. So let's get a guy on board that at least produces results at the next level. Tendai was a great example in 2010 and he's comfortably in our best 22 of 2011.
Ignoring good WAFL performances is crazy.

. I dont see what the fuss is on del'ollio

Then, surely you might've noticed he kicked 55 goals, runner-up in the Naylor medal (not as a kpp) in a team that finished 4th and his accuracy rate was top notch on either foot........ and I am not a Souths supporter, but I sure as hell noticed him! The times of ignoring top results at WAFL level are gone. If some of our other LISTED rookies were achieving those sort of stats we would all be screaming loudly to get them into the lineup. Unfortunately many of our listed rookies can hardly get a kick in the WAFL and probably never will. So let's get a guy on board that at least produces results at the next level. Tendai was a great example in 2010 and he's comfortably in our best 22 of 2011.
Ignoring good WAFL performances is crazy.

wow, defensive much? look yeah he had a good year, im not disputing that, but at afl level i doubt the tricks he played this year would come off. I think he would be found out pretty quickly.

Tendai Mzungu is a great athlete, im yet to be convinced he is a good afl player, he butchers the ball way too often and his decision making is at times poor. Lets temper our thoughts on him until after this year. Injury free im not sure he is comfortably best 22 as you suggest, and im confident del'ollio wouldnt be.

im not ignoring good wafl performances. id have horsley well before del'ollio. I mean gee rory obrien has dominated the wafl in the last few years, yet if you put him in the afl he would just about be the worst player in the league (behind michael johnson of course hehe)

Didn't he have a twin brother named Dean Dick that was rookie'd then delisted by Essendon? Any memories of what happened there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Brad Dick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back