Brad Ebert

Remove this Banner Ad

Russell Ebert (born June 22, 1949) is acknowledged as one of the greatest players in the long history of Australian rules football.

Born in Berri, South Australia, Ebert debuted for the Port Adelaide Magpies in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL) as an 18 year old in 1968 and immediately made an impression, winning the club leading goalkicking in his debut season. He followed that with a Magarey Medal (awarded to the fairest and most brilliant player in the SANFL) and club Best and Fairest double in 1971 and further honours over the proceeding decade and a half, including premierships in 1977, 1980 and 1981, Magarey Medals in 1974, 1976 and 1980 and club Best and Fairests in 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977 and 1981.

Ebert is the only player in the SANFL to have won four Magarey Medals.

Victorian Football League clubs chased Ebert for a decade until North Melbourne finally won his signature and he spent a season with the Kangaroos in 1979 before returning to Port Adelaide, where his 392 games remains a club record.

Ebert captained Port Adelaide from 1974-1978 and 1983-1985, as well as captaining the South Australian side in 1975, 1977 and 1983. Upon his retirement in 1983, Ebert took over the coaching role at Port Adelaide until 1987 and then acted as coach of fellow SANFL side Woodville Football Club from 1988 to 1990.

Ebert's brother Craig also played for Port Adelaide and son Brett currently plays for Port Adelaide in the Australian Football League. Ebert was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 1996.

Ebert's playing career spanned a total of 451 senior games for Port Adelaide, North Melbourne and South Australian representative. This is estimated to be the fifth highest tally in top-level senior football, and third highest amongst players whose official tally can be verified

Craig Ebert is currently a skills coach at the Port maggies
http://www.portmagpies.com.au/officials.php

:confused: That's great; but apart from that in bold, what does any of this have to do with his nephew Brad?

:confused: That's great; but apart from that in bold, what does any of this have to do with his nephew Brad?

I think someone is confused .Is Craig Brads father .And if yes how many games did he Craig play for Port Adelaide and West Adelaide to see if he qualifies for father son rule.

And just to cloud the issue for the victorian fans if a father has played the correct number of games in south australia the sanfl club he played for is zoned (if thats the right word )to either Port or Adelaide.

This would affect the likes of Jacob Fuller whose father had a stellar career playing for woodville and is the current coach of Woodville-west torrens.as most wwt fans would be adelaide fans the club is tied under father son to Port.

The point is that the Ebert family has been as important to Port Adelaide as the Silvagni family has been to Carlton.

The fact that were talking about father/sons rather than brothers and their sons is immaterial, the family as a whole is as Port Adelaide as the Cahill and Williams families.

That connection to Port Adelaide would most likely see him try to get back to Alberton sometime in his career and with his father still involved in the Port Adelaide Football Club it is likely to be sooner ala Watts.

I think you guys are missing the point. Port will not get Ebert in this draft but his "go home factor" will be huge, even if he goes to the Cows.

1. His father played over 100 games for the club;

2. His uncle played in excess of 400 for the club;

3. His uncle is a skills coach at the club;

4. His cousin plays at the club.

The Ebert name is synonomous with Port Adelaide. The name is royalty at Alberton. I know for a fact that Brad would love nothing more than to add to the family legend/ dynasty at Alberton. If the "go home" factor is rated out of 10, Brad has a "11" next to his name. I bet my left b*llock, that he may not start his career at Port, but he'll end it there.

PS Gibbs' dad never played for the Cows.

I think you guys are missing the point. Port will not get Ebert in this draft but his "go home factor" will be huge, even if he goes to the Cows.

1. His father played over 100 games for the club;

2. His uncle played in excess of 400 for the club;

3. His uncle is a skills coach at the club;

4. His cousin plays at the club.

The Ebert name is synonomous with Port Adelaide. The name is royalty at Alberton. I know for a fact that Brad would love nothing more than to add to the family legend/ dynasty at Alberton. If the "go home" factor is rated out of 10, Brad has a "11" next to his name. I bet my left b*llock, that he may not start his career at Port, but he'll end it there.

PS Gibbs' dad never played for the Cows.

Didn't the Cornes boys grow up hating Port with a passion?

Sentiment is overated these days with the kind of money that gets thrown around. You bring a guy like Ebert into a club with a heap of guys his own age and he'll develope a bond there too.

Didn't the Cornes boys gorw up hating Port with a passion?

Sentiment is overated these days with the kind of money that gets thrown around. You bring a guy like Ebert into a club with a heap of guys his own age and he'll develope a bond there too.
Exactly....You think Pavlich was thinking we would be at Freo long term, when he was fast drafted.

The point is that the Ebert family has been as important to Port Adelaide as the Silvagni family has been to Carlton.

That is debatable. It certainly might turn out like that when Brett's career concludes, or even exceed the Silvagni's importance to Carlton.

I don't deride in anyway Russell Ebert's legendary career, or the stead in which he is held by the Port Adelaide FC and footy fans in general, but I think an association that began more than 50 years ago, with 30+ playing years spread over two generations, is what gives the Silvagni's an edge.

The fact that were talking about father/sons rather than brothers and their sons is immaterial, the family as a whole is as Port Adelaide as the Cahill and Williams families.

Such a typical insular mentality. It is not immaterial at all. I was responding to a post that said Brad Ebert not going to Port Power, would be akin to one of Silvagni's boys going to Port. Sure; Brad's uncle is a club legend and it was one of his fathers two clubs, but people are comparing that to a legendary father and grandfather combination and then have gall to label me ignorant in the same breath.

Does this mean we have rights on David Kernahan's kids. I mean his father played a few games for us, and his uncle is an absolute legend of the club............

Russell Ebert (born June 22, 1949) is acknowledged as one of the greatest players in the long history of Australian rules football.

Born in Berri, South Australia, Ebert debuted for the Port Adelaide Magpies in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL) as an 18 year old in 1968

Russell Ebert is actually from Waikerie.. he played his first few years for Waikerie, then Barmera and then SANFL.

ok guys here is some details

SA under-18 captain Bradley Ebert, has no father-son path to Alberton where his father Craig played 112 games with Port Adelaide. His grandfather Trevor Obst played 205. His great grandfather Peter Obst played 165.

SA under-18 captain Bradley Ebert, has no father-son path to Alberton where his father Craig played 112 games with Port Adelaide. His grandfather Trevor Obst played 205. His great grandfather Peter Obst played 165.

Was a nice article in the paper today

Very strong ties to Port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'd be very happy for him to arrive at windy hill via pick #6. the fact that he followed essendon is a bonus, although not a likely factor in keeping him long-term.

Ebert is an Essendon fan.

Yep, as suprisingly as it is, it is true!

BS. Are you on the same party drugs as Ben Cousins. My brother in law works with his old man Craig. He is a Port supporter, but knows he will more than likely end up at another club.

Read his AIS scholarship profile.

http://www.ais.org.au/austrules/ebert.asp

Yes, 112 games not good enough for Victorian J*** Ross Gibbs 293 games ...not enough for Victorian J*** yet 100 games plenty for them to rape the football world and cry it is for the football family tradition.

How many more times will you change the rules to protect your bottom dwelling, money devoid football clubs? It makes me sick to read some of the posts in here.
Pious P**** mouthing off with no idea of what has passed in the game.

Yes, 112 games not good enough for Victorian J*** Ross Gibbs 293 games ...not enough for Victorian J*** yet 100 games plenty for them to rape the football world and cry it is for the football family tradition.

How many more times will you change the rules to protect your bottom dwelling, money devoid football clubs? It makes me sick to read some of the posts in here.
Pious P**** mouthing off with no idea of what has passed in the game.

Hey Ozzie...wanna get really really upset

John Browns dad played 51 games for Fitzroy...and his boy then became eligible :rolleyes:

BS. Are you on the same party drugs as Ben Cousins. My brother in law works with his old man Craig. He is a Port supporter, but knows he will more than likely end up at another club.

Read his AIS scholarship profile.

http://www.ais.org.au/austrules/ebert.asp
BS, huh? Unless you tell me otherwise with other proof see TODAYS article! :) otherwise keep crying champ!

Ebert has family reputation to uphold

4:10 PM Thu 4 October, 2007

By Matt Burgan

EVERY year, in the new wave of AFL prospects, familiar football names are sprinkled in the mix.

Just look at selections No. 12 (Andrejs Everitt), 13 (James Frawley) and 14 (Jack Riewoldt) in last year's NAB AFL Draft as examples of immediately recognisable names.

Again at this year's NAB AFL Draft Camp, there are several notable family names and one of them is among the biggest in Australian Football – particularly in South Australia – Ebert.

Brad Ebert is the latest hot prospect from an immensely strong football family.

He is the son of former Port Adelaide Magpie Craig and nephew of Russell (who many believe is the greatest footballer to hail from South Australia). Brad's cousin Brett also had his finest year with Port Adelaide this season.

So does South Australia's best 2007 draft prospect – he is regarded as a first-round selection – feel the expectation as his state's leading contender, along with the pressure of following in the footsteps of family members?

"In a way I feel a little bit of pressure, but it's not too bad and I don't mind it. It's nothing like what Bryce Gibbs had last year, so I find it OK," Ebert told afl.com.au at NAB AFL Draft Camp this week.

"You don't really listen to what some people say, but that doesn't happen to often.

"Hopefully I can get drafted this year and that all goes ahead then I can follow on with the [family] name."

Ebert, who likes Port Adelaide but has followed Essendon in his youth, believes his family has played a pivotal part in his football development.

"You can always go to them if you need any help – with my Dad [Craig], Russ or Brett – we can talk about anything and get to know what it's like at an AFL club," Ebert said.

"I have a fair bit of contact with Brett and I'll catch up with him a fair bit and he'll give me a call or I'll give him a call every now and then.

"Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to play football and seeing what you're family has done, it's great to be following in their footsteps and they've been really helpful."

Ebert has had a fine 2007 season. Along with being an AIS/AFL Academy member, he represented South Australia at the NAB AFL Under-18 championships and was rewarded with All-Australian honours for his performances in that carnival.

But the midfielder was humble in assessing his first-class year.

"I think it's been reasonable. I've had a fairly good year all-round.

“I started off playing reserves with the Magpies and I only played one game there and then I went into the league and then to the state [level] and then back to league, so it was great," Ebert said.

"My leadership skills and the experience of playing against men has really helped this year.

“Having the chance to play against league footballers has been really good, like Darryl Wakelin – it's been great to play with and against AFL players."

http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=52125

Hey Ozzie...wanna get really really upset

John Browns dad played 51 games for Fitzroy...and his boy then became eligible :rolleyes:

Of course PC but we must suck it up according to these people. No-one else exists apart from them in their tiny little world. Eddie McWank runs things by the sap pretending to be the League's boss and they throw a wobbly when it doesn't go their way. Meanwhile the rest of us are told to deal with it. F***** bunch of hypocrites.

BS, huh? Unless you tell me otherwise with other proof see TODAYS article! :) otherwise keep crying champ!

Ebert has family reputation to uphold

4:10 PM Thu 4 October, 2007

By Matt Burgan

EVERY year, in the new wave of AFL prospects, familiar football names are sprinkled in the mix.

Just look at selections No. 12 (Andrejs Everitt), 13 (James Frawley) and 14 (Jack Riewoldt) in last year's NAB AFL Draft as examples of immediately recognisable names.

Again at this year's NAB AFL Draft Camp, there are several notable family names and one of them is among the biggest in Australian Football – particularly in South Australia – Ebert.

Brad Ebert is the latest hot prospect from an immensely strong football family.

He is the son of former Port Adelaide Magpie Craig and nephew of Russell (who many believe is the greatest footballer to hail from South Australia). Brad's cousin Brett also had his finest year with Port Adelaide this season.

So does South Australia's best 2007 draft prospect – he is regarded as a first-round selection – feel the expectation as his state's leading contender, along with the pressure of following in the footsteps of family members?

"In a way I feel a little bit of pressure, but it's not too bad and I don't mind it. It's nothing like what Bryce Gibbs had last year, so I find it OK," Ebert told afl.com.au at NAB AFL Draft Camp this week.

"You don't really listen to what some people say, but that doesn't happen to often.

"Hopefully I can get drafted this year and that all goes ahead then I can follow on with the [family] name."

Ebert, who likes Port Adelaide but has followed Essendon in his youth, believes his family has played a pivotal part in his football development.

"You can always go to them if you need any help – with my Dad [Craig], Russ or Brett – we can talk about anything and get to know what it's like at an AFL club," Ebert said.

"I have a fair bit of contact with Brett and I'll catch up with him a fair bit and he'll give me a call or I'll give him a call every now and then.

"Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to play football and seeing what you're family has done, it's great to be following in their footsteps and they've been really helpful."

Ebert has had a fine 2007 season. Along with being an AIS/AFL Academy member, he represented South Australia at the NAB AFL Under-18 championships and was rewarded with All-Australian honours for his performances in that carnival.

But the midfielder was humble in assessing his first-class year.

"I think it's been reasonable. I've had a fairly good year all-round.

“I started off playing reserves with the Magpies and I only played one game there and then I went into the league and then to the state [level] and then back to league, so it was great," Ebert said.

"My leadership skills and the experience of playing against men has really helped this year.

“Having the chance to play against league footballers has been really good, like Darryl Wakelin – it's been great to play with and against AFL players."

http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=52125

Do you believe everything that you read?? Are you one of the chooks the media likes to feed (apologies to Sir Joh).

Yes he has followed Essendon and has a soft spot for them but he is a Port supporter. See he used the word followed not barrack. Brett knows he wont end up at Port. What's his second preference? Essendon. What pick do Essendon have? 6. What pick do the crows have? 10. What's in between? Freo, Lions and the Saints or even the Dogs at pick 5? Does he want to go there? Probably not! A little bit of PR when the boy gets a chance wont hurt his cause. Think a little, don't just eat up the stuff the media throws at you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Ebert

Remove this Banner Ad

Back