Brad Ebert

Remove this Banner Ad

The Crows, Eagles and Freo should nominate a single SANFL/WAFL club from which to claim f/s picks and then all clubs should get picks at 100 games.

Then it is fair NOW.

The Crows, Eagles and Freo should nominate a single SANFL/WAFL club from which to claim f/s picks and then all clubs should get picks at 100 games.

Then it is fair NOW.

OK - Freo nominate Port Adelaide Magpies.

Have Ebert dropped off thanks to the FFC.

You really don't get it do you? Go and look at the lists of ALL the teams in the league and see how many F/S the Victorian teams have on theirs and then see how many are on ours ( Crows), Power and the Freo teams. Eagles, Lions and Swans.

How do you think Carlton got Waite? Hint it wasn't by paying fair market price. He is only one of many. All of the many picks they have been granted this way over the last 20 years. Go on add them up and you will then see why it is such a big deal. Footballers at this level should be playing where they are drafted and not be moddiecoddled at any club their relatives happened to play for. The Crows have missed out on the Cornes boys Chad @#9, Kane @#20 because their father had only played 300 games and ONLY coached the Crows for the first 4 years and not 5 years. Then we come to Gibbs. Enough has been said on that fiasco. Eagles have 2 Mortons but the 3rd is at Collingwood and the 4th one who knows.

You think this is FAIR. Unbelievable!
This year the AFL have bought in the bidding....this will even it out...In theory.

Again under new system, Carlton would ahve to give a up a first round pick for Waite.

In a few years time we will get some Genuine F/s coming through....The club was stupid not to allow Graham Cornes to go on the board for a year. This would of qualified Chad and Kane. He even offered to do it as he knew his sons would play AFL.

I think he would enjoy playing alongside his cousin at the power. Wouldnt surprise me if he came back after his 2nd contract. His family has a long history involving Port Adelaide and he stated on radio earlier this year that it would be a dream to play for Port in the AFL.

Doesnt mean it will happen though

Potential trade in the future if he does get recruited to a Victorian Club..

Brad Ebert for Travis Boak

So what you are saying is this. It is ok for Victorian clubs to have F/S but not WA and SA, becaurse we joined the national league in the last twenty years. It is ok to just toss all our heritage away but let them keep theirs. Is this correct? It is ok for 3 teams to be discriminated against while the rest just do what they like? Is this the view you really believe and think is FAIR?

Tom Hawkins was considered to be in the TOP 3 of the entire draft and they paid a 3rd rounder for him. Is this FAIR? Under what you believe, it is. Again I reiterate this stupid UNFAIR rule needs to be scrapped immediately.

SA and WA teams already have advantages along with the other states. You only have 2 teams from SA or WA, if an SA or WA player is getting homesick playing in Victoria he has to choose out of 2 clubs, if a Victorian player is getting homesick playing in SA or WA he can choose from 9 teams. So for instance, if Judd and Cousins were both Victorian and there were only 2 Victorian teams, you would think that both Victorian clubs would get 1 player each, but as it stands 9 clubs have to fight between Cousins and Judd... hypothetically speaking!

Then there's home ground advantage, there are more Victorian people barracking for intersate teams than SA or WA people barracking for Victorian teams, this creates a crowd advantage.

Then there's the F/S rule, SA and WA can still choose from any club in their competition the son of father who play x amount of games. That's a definite advantage.

Then there's the salary cap advantage that some interstate teams had, in particular Brisbane during their 3-peat.

SA/WA have more money due to less teams to support, creating a better supporter base.

In conclusion, Interstate sides have NO disadvantage in any way shape or form!

SA and WA teams already have advantages along with the other states. You only have 2 teams from SA or WA, if an SA or WA player is getting homesick playing in Victoria he has to choose out of 2 clubs, if a Victorian player is getting homesick playing in SA or WA he can choose from 9 teams. So for instance, if Judd and Cousins were both Victorian and there were only 2 Victorian teams, you would think that both Victorian clubs would get 1 player each, but as it stands 9 clubs have to fight between Cousins and Judd... hypothetically speaking!

Then there's home ground advantage, there are more Victorian people barracking for intersate teams than SA or WA people barracking for Victorian teams, this creates a crowd advantage.

Then there's the F/S rule, SA and WA can still choose from any club in their competition the son of father who play x amount of games. That's a definite advantage.

Then there's the salary cap advantage that some interstate teams had, in particular Brisbane during their 3-peat.

SA/WA have more money due to less teams to support, creating a better supporter base.

In conclusion, Interstate sides have NO disadvantage in any way shape or form!

I tend to agree. One of the big chestnuts that our media pull out is that Colligwood play so many games at the G. This to me is not a real advantage as other teams in Melbourne have the G as their home ground. I think that travelling tends to make the team bond better to. Non victorian clubs dont fear going to Melbourne to play anymore. Look at our record at the Dome.

F/S does not bother me. Now that the AFL has brought in the bidding system clubs will pay Market Value for these players. F/S may have helped Geelong. But shouldnt Ablett's and Scarlett's sons be playing for Geelong anyway. Not many other clubs would of picked Nathan up anyway, as he hasnt come through the traditional TAC cup.

Finally. Non VIctorian teams have dominated the Comp in the last 11 years. Only Geelong Essendon and North have won flags. 3 out of 11 flags have gone to non Victorian teams. I think this shows that the Non-Vic teams know how to work the AFL system better. We are modern clubs.

The Vic clubs that have succeeded have the same ethos. North, are the best bang for buck club in the league. Essendon's Coach, Sheedy, has been an innovator since 1982. He has helped shaped the Modern AFL more than anyone from any club. Geelong also are a modern club, not hanging on to success from bygone eras.

How often do Essendon travel again?

Fremantle Travelled - 9 games + 1 game at TIO Stadium (Neutral)
2 Subiaco games against WCE - Neutral territory.
8 Subiaco games against Non-WA teams.

Essendon Travelled - 5 games
17 Melbourne games, 13 against other Victorian teams.
4 Melbourne games against Non-Vic teams.

Interstate teams have NO disadvantage!

I would MUCH rather have Port Adelaide have f/s preferences based 100 games for Port (AFL/SANFL) rather than 200 games for Port, Central, North, West and WWT.

Damnit I want the sons of the kids I grew up watching playing for my club.
This is MY generation of f/s, why do we have to be deprived of it?

My heroes came from the 70's and 80's, their kids would be coming through now or in the next 10 years, they are who I want to support.

BUT we can't have that because how would a similar situation work with the Crows....the problem is that there seems to be this unwritten law that clubs in the same state have to be treated the same, however clubs across states dont have to be....again the crows are in the damned way, they made me wait 7 years in 1990 and now their existence prevents me from seeing young Ebert at Alberton where he should be.

And you wonder why I hate the Crows.

I would MUCH rather have Port Adelaide have f/s preferences based 100 games for Port (AFL/SANFL) rather than 200 games for Port, Central, North, West and WWT.

Damnit I want the sons of the kids I grew up watching playing for my club.
This is MY generation of f/s, why do we have to be deprived of it?

My heroes came from the 70's and 80's, their kids would be coming through now or in the next 10 years, they are who I want to support.

BUT we can't have that because how would a similar situation work with the Crows....the problem is that there seems to be this unwritten law that clubs in the same state have to be treated the same, however clubs across states dont have to be....again the crows are in the damned way, they made me wait 7 years in 1990 and now their existence prevents me from seeing young Ebert at Alberton where he should be.

And you wonder why I hate the Crows.

Sounds like you'd prefer to have the option of every single son of a father who played the eligable amount? PA Magpies was not and never has been up to a standard of a VFL/AFL team! Your rule would mean that a son of a father who played 100 games for Coburg can play for Richmond!

I'm sure every club would love to ;)

So Freo don't feel a tight association with a particular WAFL club, not East more than South or vice versa?

No Easts and Souths equally.

It is a funny old thing here - it would take 30 pages to expalin the complexity. Lets just say it will take a generation to sort out the mess.

I think with the f/s rule that the Power and Cows have that there are also specific time rules involved and it was the main reason why Brett Ebert was not a father/son even though Russell almost ticked over 400 games for us. I'm pretty sure the same scenario played out for Bryce Gibbs as well because his father would have played atleast 200/250 games for Glenelg.

I would love Brett down at the club because the tradition of the family goes down many generations. I hope the Power can trade down to get him but then again we need KPP forwards.

As Marcus has stated, most supporters would much rather the sons of heroes we grew up with but I don't think it'll matter until the next generation because I don't think the Power or the Cows have had one legitimate f/s since they've been in the AFL while Geelong and Collingwood usually have a few shakes a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

port took the cornes brothers, i think its only fitting that we get an ebert.

Under the current rules yes, but the current rules, as stated above, are crap.

Thx Moo.

The Donners: please dont start that line of crap, Port have the same rights to f/s that played 100 games for Port in the SANFL as Richmond or any other ex-VFL club has. I'm not discussing this shit again.

Yeh Pen there are year restrictions as well, well there were before the lastest set of changes, not sure if they still apply.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Ebert

Remove this Banner Ad

Back