Opinion Brad Hartman

Remove this Banner Ad

Great post. Agree completely with the bolded part. Depends how ruthless they have to be and which senior players make way of course, but of those three I can't see them letting Kersten or Brown go.

I agree, but would we necessarily look to cut tall players atm, the numbers are at where they need to be at least I would have thought.
Pods has 1-2 years at best and Hawkins could end up injury prone, all these guys are key post players apart from Kersten maybe a little small, and we're thin on these types so why cut any?

I think we can afford to lose one tall forward option this year and I'd hate for it to be Kersten. If Menzel gets back (fingers crossed) then I think we could easily go with a shorter forward-line in future with Hawkins and a resting Vardy as our power forwards and Kersten and Menzel as medium marking options and then two midfielders (or youngsters) rotating through HFF/FP. This is after Pods retires, obviously, and I think he has another year left in him, though he may eventually lose his position to Kersten or Vardy. I doubt Pods would be too offended by playing a year as a fringe-forward/mentor to the youngsters.

Would like to think Hamlin and Harman do well in the VFL next season and push hard for senior selection in 2015. A tall and an X-factor. Good. But who knows ? I have heard Hamlin has been ok and shown something at times - Hartman a little less so but he has more time.

I would really like us to keep Brown and Kersten. Both still have not been given enough time to show us what they can do in a senior side. Brown is contracted already for next season - not sure about Kersten ?

I reckon they should think about giving him a senior game soon - before the finals with Hawk out so we know what he can do in case we need him in the finals. He is such a good kick half a dozen possessions could be 3-4 goals. That's all he needs to do as well as compete hard - lay a few tackles. Well that would do me each week for this season !

I have not changed my mind.

Hartman & McCarthy should go before Walker or Cowan or Burbury. All three have shown enough at senior level to be confident they can proceed to AFL. Unlike a lot around here , I like Walker. He is a strong mark and a good aerobic capacity. Cowan could be the forgotten inside mid and Burbury is capable of becoming a Motlop type player for us.

McCarthy is stiff due to injury , and Hartman was a premature drafting considering our list squeeze position and the gaining of Hmac & Rivers. If we could transfer him to the Rookie list it would reflect his true rating on our list. Sheringham is closer to a game.

Sorry Hamling and Hartman.

Just cannot see them being delisted - and I have heard Hamling has been ok.

Hartman to be fair need a another pre-season and a run in the AFL to know really where he is at.

Hartman & McCarthy should go before Walker or Cowan or Burbury. All three have shown enough at senior level to be confident they can proceed to AFL. Unlike a lot around here , I like Walker. He is a strong mark and a good aerobic capacity. Cowan could be the forgotten inside mid and Burbury is capable of becoming a Motlop type player for us.

McCarthy is stiff due to injury , and Hartman was a premature drafting considering our list squeeze position and the gaining of Hmac & Rivers. If we could transfer him to the Rookie list it would reflect his true rating on our list. Sheringham is closer to a game.
Doubt there is a question over Cowan. Like to retain the other two as well. Particularly Walker.

Hartman has talent but needs to improve his attitude and work ethic IMO.

I know this is delving slightly off-topic now but can anyone quickly explain to me the situation with our list at year's end? We have to use at least 2(?) draft picks and then potentially extra ones for upgrading rookies, right? And Walker, Cowan and Burbury are all in their last possible year as rookies? I'm just curious as I'd like to look at our full list and try to assess the choices.

Off the top of my head I'd think Corey and Hunt would likely retire with Chapman and Enright (God, I hope not!) also on the edge. McCarthy, Sheringham and Stringer would be on my list of guys to potentially cut (not out of malice, just that I see more in Schroeder, Burbs, Eardley, etc.) It really is going to be interesting to see what they do. Kersten, Burbury and Eardley are three I really want to keep.

Cowan delist please & Burbury both utilities they don't have any exceptional qualities , Hartman & Hamling have massive upside

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan delist please & Burbury both utilities they don't have any exceptional qualities , Hartman & Hamling have massive upside
Hartman must have upside , there is nowhere to go but up
Delist Cowan? Delist Burbury? And keep to kids that have shown very little so far. Hamling has shown more but neither has shown as much as the two your delisting

Josh hunt, Joel Corey and chapman could all be considering retirement if so this list squeeze being discussed may not be a factor.

Going by how Chris Scott has been speaking about retirements this year, I feel like Josh Hunt may be one who'd get a tap on the shoulder. He's been very good the last two years and could go on for one more but I think we're seeing that they want to get games into Guthrie and next year they'll want backline spots for the likes of Thurlow, Bews, Brown, etc.

I think Corey will retire of his own accord but if he wanted to go another year I'm not sure how that conversation would go. I've said many times that I LOVE what Joel Corey has done for our club but I think his time is just about up and I really think Horlin-Smith (who seems a natural replacement) NEEDS game-time pronto.

What has CS been saying about retirements this year?
Last week he made a comment that Josh knows where he sits. And that if a player is of equal value and younger, we'll pick him first.
"And Josh has bought into that"

He was on the Sunday Footy Show where (I believe it was there) he said that they want to show the veterans respect but it's a two-way discussion and that a veteran won't necessarily be given another year just because he wants one. He was speaking vaguely but I can only deduce that applies to guys like Hunt, Chappy and Corey, as they're the obvious three looking at retirement towards the end of the year. Depending on our list squeeze, I wouldn't mind Josh sticking around one more year as a depth player and mentor to the younger guys because he's been very reliable the last two years. It is very tricky when dealing with situations like these, though I do think Scott handled it well in 2011 with Moons and Dasher and last year with Wojo. To be fair though, I've no idea how Dasher feels about that final year in retrospect.

He was on the Sunday Footy Show where (I believe it was there) he said that they want to show the veterans respect but it's a two-way discussion and that a veteran won't necessarily be given another year just because he wants one. He was speaking vaguely but I can only deduce that applies to guys like Hunt, Chappy and Corey, as they're the obvious three looking at retirement towards the end of the year. Depending on our list squeeze, I wouldn't mind Josh sticking around one more year as a depth player and mentor to the younger guys because he's been very reliable the last two years. It is very tricky when dealing with situations like these, though I do think Scott handled it well in 2011 with Moons and Dasher and last year with Wojo. To be fair though, I've no idea how Dasher feels about that final year in retrospect.

Thanks, I hadn't heard about that.

lol'ing my ass off reading halfwits calling to delist a kid in his first year of senior footy. Coming off zero fitness. He's 6ft1 can jump over a barn and has not even played a whole season out of U18's. Its actually hilarious how little some people clearly know about footy. Same muppets who were calling for Dawson's head 10 weeks ago are now wanting to bend over for him. Fair dinkum, some of you ought to give posting on here a spell until you actually understand footy.

Come trade period I would expect to lose a couple of players looking for new opportunities, Brown to anywhere and Schroder to the Bulldogs spring to mind. Maybe Kersten back west. I would expect three retirements, which would probably include Chappy, but may not. If he is confident his body is right to go around again, and the medical staff agree, then he stays. Delisting Hartman and picking him up again in the rookie draft is maybe an option, but if we are at 100% salary cap, I'm not sure if that is legal.
We'd be crazy to let Kersten go. Crazy!

the problem Kersten is that he's not tall enough to play key forward in the 1's. can he play a SJ role?

It’s a good point. He is quite a good contested mark for his size though. See him as a lead up forward who can have a presence in the pack. He’s a beautiful accurate kick, makes good decisions and has two way skills. Reckon he would complement Hawk. Also reckon he is flexible enough to be used further up the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Brad Hartman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back