Opinion Brad Hartman

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question from someone who watches little to no VFL - what has Brad Hartman done to warrant his spot as an emergency this week? How has he been travelling at VFL level? Where would he be in comparison to someone like Lincoln McCarthy? Cheers.

Serious question from someone who watches little to no VFL - what has Brad Hartman done to warrant his spot as an emergency this week? How has he been travelling at VFL level? Where would he be in comparison to someone like Lincoln McCarthy? Cheers.
Have seen him live only twice. Comparing this year to last I would say he has taken big steps forward. But this trip is his "taster" I reckon. He is not ready yet but if this and next year he continues this trajectory he will be in the mix (for a playing taster ) this time NEXT year.

As catswhiskers mentioned, this appears to be Hartman's "taste" of what goes on with trips interstate.

As for his form, haven't really seen enough VFL to pass any sort of judgement. Any late change would see Hunt come in I reckon.

I saw him a couple of weeks ago and what really surprised me was the size of him. He came in as a really skinny kid but in just over a year he's really bulked up. He's the same height as Mitch Duncan (taller than Bartel too) and only 1kg lighter than Duncan so it looks like he has no problem putting muscle on. I'd guess he's going to have to work on his tank bigtime but he'll end up being a really explosive athlete being strong, quick off the mark and having a big leap. With those athletic abilities he could be very versatile which is clearly what Geelong likes in their players.

Considering how he looked all at sea this time last year he's improves a lot and clearly he's got some talent. Hopefully we give him a game or two later this year against a couple of lower teams just to give him a taste of what it's like. Give him another couple of years and we might have a handy player on our hands.

I didn't see it but he was listed as BOG last week, I think.

I reckon the club would like to give him a little taster, just to make him really aware of what the step up to AFL will be like and why he really needs to work hard (not that he isn't) to make it. I could see him being listed as the sub for the GWS game for example.

Keep going as he is and I would expect him to ink a new 2 year deal.

I reckon the club would like to give him a little taster, just to make him really aware of what the step up to AFL will be like and why he really needs to work hard (not that he isn't) to make it. I could see him being listed as the sub for the GWS game for example.

Just to be listed on the senior sheet tells me they must have hope for him in the future, it's a good sign no doubt. He came to us very raw but with quite a bit of unrealised natural talent, I'd like him to develop more run and endurance from the little I've seen so far.
His body conditioning is noticeably stronger than last season and physical confidence vastly improved, he was barely eligible for his draft we shouldn't forget, was very young.

Last edited:
I agree Meto.
He has progressed quite a bit on last year. He looks trimmer and fitter than last year, finds the ball more and is smarter around goals.
It is a bit unfair to make a comparison to Lincoln McCarthy as he has been on the injured list since his last AFL game (unless he played against Collingwood last week).

Jansen has also been named as an emergency. We may see Jansen get a game in the near future if Jed Bews is any sort of guage.

or StKilda in 2 weeks if he plays well in next weeks VFL game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Meto.
He has progressed quite a bit on last year. He looks trimmer and fitter than last year, finds the ball more and is smarter around goals.
It is a bit unfair to make a comparison to Lincoln McCarthy as he has been on the injured list since his last AFL game (unless he played against Collingwood last week).

Jansen has also been named as an emergency. We may see Jansen get a game in the near future if Jed Bews is any sort of guage.

Yes Rabb, good point you make about Jansen, there's a lot to like about last years draftees I think they've settled well, good keen types with the right attitude it seems.

Yes Rabb, good point you make about Jansen, there's a lot to like about last years draftees I think they've settled well, good keen types with the right attitude it seems.

Not to mention a big ready to go body.

I agree Meto.

Ok what's your logic for this Rab? I have previously thought JJ could be a good sub option but the Bews thing I don't get. Bews was drafted young and made to work for over two years for a debut

Ok what's your logic for this Rab? I have previously thought JJ could be a good sub option but the Bews thing I don't get. Bews was drafted young and made to work for over two years for a debut
I think he means it in terms of they are ready to start introducing the next round of young-uns now that Guthrie and Motlop have played their 50 and the others such as Hyphen have settled in.

Running thru the middle or looking like a forward option ? He has never looked like a fast agile player to me so if he is getting BOG's , he must be bringing something to the table
Going off the match report (here) it was in midfield Turbo:

‘Brad Hartman (16 disposals, 5 tackles and 7 inside 50s) also worked very hard as a midfielder and a winger all day, and managed to win a lot of ball. But he also put a lot of pressure on the opposition, which was pleasing to see.’

Jed Bews' body just would not have been up to the task previously. Have a look at what he looked like when he first got here. The kid has obviously worked hard on his body and the club may have thought that he was now up to the task. He has done the hard yards on the field and in the gym and the club rewarded him for it.

JJ is a different proposition. He is a monster of a kid. What is he? About 193 and 95 Kgs. He has an AFL size body already. But he will take a while to ajust to the pace of the game like most kids do. I would like to see him get a shot soon. A game gainst Carlton would not upset me.

Jed Bews' body just would not have been up to the task previously. Have a look at what he looked like when he first got here. The kid has obviously worked hard on his body and the club may have thought that he was now up to the task. He has done the hard yards on the field and in the gym and the club rewarded him for it.

JJ is a different proposition. He is a monster of a kid. What is he? About 193 and 95 Kgs. He has an AFL size body already. But he will take a while to ajust to the pace of the game like most kids do. I would like to see him get a shot soon. A game gainst Carlton would not upset me.

Ok fair logic , although I can remember a photo of Jed 12 months ago and it made me think if he can do that in 12 months what's Brown doing. Think it was not just body with Bews but a maturing of his game.
But again , if the club deem JJ ready .FANTASTIC. To get them to 50 , they have to start somewhere and 4 or 5 as the sub would be great for JJ. Just think he mat struggle to get in unless we have (heaven forbid) more injuries. Caddy and Bundy to come back in so three spot? Can you see them?

Ok fair logic , although I can remember a photo of Jed 12 months ago and it made me think if he can do that in 12 months what's Brown doing. Think it was not just body with Bews but a maturing of his game.
But again , if the club deem JJ ready .FANTASTIC. To get them to 50 , they have to start somewhere and 4 or 5 as the sub would be great for JJ. Just think he mat struggle to get in unless we have (heaven forbid) more injuries. Caddy and Bundy to come back in so three spot? Can you see them?

In the very limited amount I have seen of Bews in the 2nds on TV, there has been a steady improvement over the last 2 seasons in his football, not just his size. Fewer bad fumbles and choices, fewer bad disposals. Though the latter still needs some work, as we've seen in the 1sts. He simply wasn't good enough 2 years ago, but he's obviously worked very hard on his footy, not just his physique.

He might renew old acquaintances with Pat Cripps, would be good to give the kid a run and feel for the big stage, Lang's not that far away either, at least for a run in the subs like JJ.

In the very limited amount I have seen of Bews in the 2nds on TV, there has been a steady improvement over the last 2 seasons in his football, not just his size. Fewer bad fumbles and choices, fewer bad disposals. Though the latter still needs some work, as we've seen in the 1sts. He simply wasn't good enough 2 years ago, but he's obviously worked very hard on his footy, not just his physique.

Jed Bews' body just would not have been up to the task previously. Have a look at what he looked like when he first got here. The kid has obviously worked hard on his body and the club may have thought that he was now up to the task. He has done the hard yards on the field and in the gym and the club rewarded him for it......

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Brad Hartman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back