Brad Hodge quits first-class cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

No but McKay>>>>Bollinger
Oh come on, now you're ruining your credibility with hyperbole. I don't really rate either of them as Test-quality at the moment, but if you're not playing on an absolute shit of a pitch (which for Bollinger is like water for a duck) it's pretty much a toss-up between them.

Personally I think McKay has a fair bit more potential but it's hardly an injustice if Bollinger gets picked on Friday. Of two players that have a fairly similar record, he's the one with more international experience.

No great loss, shit bloke, life goes on.

Having known Hodgey for the best part of 15-20 years, one thing he is not is a shit bloke.
He is a great fella, who is very loyal and has been royally shafted.
Just because he has the balls to speak up for himself and say things that everyone else is thinking yet doesn't have the nerve to say, people feel he is a whinger. Its a massive load of BS. The fact is he should have been in the test side for the past 10 years but due to stuff that goes on behind the scenes he hasn't. He isnt the first to have this happen to him and won't be the last.

One day the true story will come out and everyone will look at Hodgey in a different light and realise that he was been given the rawest of raw deals.

Nah, he's a ****ing sook. He's always been a sook and as diablo said above, when you can throw a blanket over a bunch of very good bats when deciding on a test spot, the bloke who people want to be around in the dressing room will get the nod. And fair enough.

Dumb as dog shit, too, which doesn't help.

Hodge is top bloke and also barracks for a top AFL team. :thumbsu:

Nah, he's a ****ing sook. He's always been a sook and as diablo said above, when you can throw a blanket over a bunch of very good bats when deciding on a test spot, the bloke who people want to be around in the dressing room will get the nod. And fair enough.
Doesn't explain why Hodge got dumped for Damien Martyn.

Martyn and Ponting were close friends ;)
And let's not forget Martyn should never have been dropped either...
Martyn didn't even want to be there.
Damo was a good one-day player, over-rated in the test arena.

Hodge would by far be my favourite First class player and he even had a very good average in international tests just unfair that he was around in the time of Australias dominance with having so many players to choose from

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martyn over-rated? I lol'd.
Just shows the power the media has.

Lets not forget the 04 season he had, and the AB medal. After player and umpire votes Martyn was well ahead of Clarke for the medal, but the media votes got Clarke over the line by 2 points or something stupid.

Just shows the power the media has.

Lets not forget the 04 season he had, and the AB medal. After player and umpire votes Martyn was well ahead of Clarke for the medal, but the media votes got Clarke over the line by 2 points or something stupid.

AB medal got soured by that. Martyn was the best choice, considering the pump he was under and then the innings he played in Sri Lanka and so on. Shafted of real glory.

Whats the bet that if a spot in the test team opens up, or if Hodge cements a spot in any Australian side, he will magically come out of retirement
When I heard MArcus North might not play, I thought "Bad timing, Hodgey".

I personally don't rate the bloke, I felt he went missing more often than not (brilliant Sri Lanka series aside), never ironed out the flaws in his game that saw him dismissed far too often either with a cut shot straight to a fielder, or lunging at a ball that wasn't there to be gone for and nicking to slip, akin to Mark Waugh.

Having said all that, I don't think the media put him on a massive pedastal either, and wouldn't consider him overrated.

...Martyn that is. Although the above could probably apply to Hodge too.

I personally don't rate the bloke, I felt he went missing more often than not (brilliant Sri Lanka series aside), never ironed out the flaws in his game that saw him dismissed far too often either with a cut shot straight to a fielder, or lunging at a ball that wasn't there to be gone for and nicking to slip, akin to Mark Waugh.

Exactly, the guy was out of his depth at Test level, loved hanging his bat out and providing catching practice for the slip fielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Hodge quits first-class cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back