Brad Hodge

Remove this Banner Ad

benny_cousins

Senior List
Nov 19, 2008
Wagga
Is their any reason Brad Hodge isn't playing One Day Cricket for Australia leading up to the World Cup? People would say he's too old but with the world cup only 5 months away he could be the difference. With his form at the moment he would almost be Australia's best batsman. How long will they let David Warner average 15 and still get a gig? And then throw average players like Adam Voges in?

Yes he's too old for anything other than perhaps a WC swansong. You would think there are others in front of him in the queue though so he would want to have a spectacular season.
If he continues his form he may well get onto the squad. Actually getting in the team is another thing. His ODI form was very poor and my guess is that he wont get another chance on that merit.

People are still calling for Brad Hodge to play in the Australian team?

Keep dreaming, he will never play for Australia again.

He is just making a mockery of the selectors with these latest two tons. I would definately pick him in the world cup team, certainly a much better middle order option that Clarke. He would probably turn it on knowing that it would be his last international hit.

The problem is that he must not get along with some key members of the team. How else would you explain his continued non-selection? I think maybe Ponting doesn't like him.

He is just making a mockery of the selectors with these latest two tons. I would definately pick him in the world cup team, certainly a much better middle order option that Clarke. He would probably turn it on knowing that it would be his last international hit.

The problem is that he must not get along with some key members of the team. How else would you explain his continued non-selection? I think maybe Ponting doesn't like him.

The longer his career goes on the sillier he makes the Australian selectors look. He should never have been dropped and he has proven the Australian selectors are a joke. A light blue cap instead of a dark blue one may have been the difference??

The longer his career goes on the sillier he makes the Australian selectors look. He should never have been dropped and he has proven the Australian selectors are a joke. A light blue cap instead of a dark blue one may have been the difference??

Whinge all you want, but bottom line is he didnt make enough runs when he had his chance.

http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerProgressBat_ODI.asp?PlayerID=3330

Says it all. His ODI career was pretty disgraceful.

Whinge all you want, but bottom line is he didnt make enough runs when he had his chance.

I'm sorry but this is BS.

Why do some players get so many more chances than others. His domestic dominance has warranted way more chances than Clarke and most of the batting order.

And I know we are talking about ODI's here but in test cricket he averages 50 and scored a double century about 2 games before he got dropped.

It doesn't have anything to do with his performance or 'not taking his chances'. I've heard that he is a bit of a w***er and most the guys in the Aus team find it hard to get along with him. That is why he is not there.

Seriously don't talk to me about 'chances' M.Hussey averages 27 in his last 34 tests!

Clearly some players are blessed by the selectors and some aren't. Just like how D. Lehman was out of the team for so long whilst breaking just about every domestic cricket record we had.

He may have averaged 55..lets take out the double centry on a road (the same pitch that Jaques Rudoloph was made to look world class) and he has an ordinary record. You recon North is bad at everything or nothing, Hodge is just as bad.

As for Lehmann..have a look at that batting lineup, who exactly are you dropping?

Why do some players get so many more chances than others. His domestic dominance has warranted way more chances than Clarke and most of the batting order.

And I know we are talking about ODI's here but in test cricket he averages 50 and scored a double century about 2 games before he got dropped.

It doesn't have anything to do with his performance or 'not taking his chances'. I've heard that he is a bit of a w***er and most the guys in the Aus team find it hard to get along with him. That is why he is not there.

Seriously don't talk to me about 'chances' M.Hussey averages 27 in his last 34 tests!

Clearly some players are blessed by the selectors and some aren't. Just like how D. Lehman was out of the team for so long whilst breaking just about every domestic cricket record we had.

Why do people just bash Michael Clarke for the sake of it?

This thread is about ODIs so don't bring Hussey's test average into this. have a look at his ODI average and rejoin the party.

What domestic dominance are you talking about? Be more specific.

Are you bringing tests into this now that your arguments have been shot down? Hodge and his test chances have been argued to death. http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13419871#post13419871

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously I'm not suggesting that test dominance should be factored into ODI selection.

I'm suggesting two things:

1) There are extraneous reasons for his omission from international teams. There is friction between him and some key members of the squad and/or the selectors and there are certain people in powerful positions that don't like him. I'm not bagging them for doing this I'm not a Hodge lover, by all accounts he is not a good bloke, but imo that is what has kept him out of the side.

2) There are certain 'blessed' individuals who don't 'take their chances either and get selected. Put it this way: if M.North had scored 200 on a road he would not have been dropped 2 weeks later. You cannot deny that certain players are really bloody undeservedly lucky and some are really undeservedly stiff.

I have brought tests into the argument because the fact is that the selectors use other formats as a selection basis for a player. Clarke is captain of our T20 team, he has done sweet f*** all as a T20 player. Based on test form Paine wouldn't be getting a gig in our team atm, they liked his ODI form (and rightly so). Hussey seems to be upholding his test career on the basis of good batting in ODIs and T20s.

This thread is about ODIs so don't bring Hussey's test average into this. have a look at his ODI average and rejoin the party.[/QUOTE]

I'd be a w***er too if I had posted 17 thousand First Class Runs and continually been overlooked.

Brad Hodge is the most in form batsmen Australia has at their disposal, if bringing him in "ruins the fantastic team chemistry" that has slid to 4th in the Test Rankings then so be it. They need to completely reinvigorate the Team and wheither the rest of Australia likes it or not, Brad Hodge at 34 is a much better bet than Marcus North, Mike Hussey, Michael Clarke and dare I even say it our skipper.

Give the man a chance, he deserved better than to be chewed up and spat out.

Why are people talking about Marcus North and to a lesser extent Mike Hussey in this thread? Isn't it regarding the value Brad Hodge could bring to the ODI team? North isn't in that team, and Hussey was recently named batting at 3 in the ODI team of the year!!!

In a ODI sense, Hodge would be behind the likes of Callum Ferguson and Steve Smith for a middle order berth. I'd prefer the younger pups to be honest.

Not to say that Hodge wasn't a very gifted player, but his time has passed. Another of the (potentially) great batsmen to be around in the wrong era!

Gun ODI player and would improve the side. But:

He is by all reports and interviews I have ever seen a w***er. So Dean Jones syndrome.

People sometimes mistake our terrible Test form with ODI form. Our ODI form is very very good and it is hard to bag selections in ODI cricket when we keep winning so much.

The bloke should be playing for Australia in all forms of the game this summer. Stuff this crap of picking guys just coz they are young. We are now the 5th ranked test side and we dont want pick a team that could win a series. :eek:

He may have averaged 55..lets take out the double centry on a road (the same pitch that Jaques Rudoloph was made to look world class) and he has an ordinary record. You recon North is bad at everything or nothing, Hodge is just as bad.

As for Lehmann..have a look at that batting lineup, who exactly are you dropping?
Oh yes the great road that was so easy for batting

But I am yet to hear any person explain why with a pitch so flat the great batsmen around Hodgey who would all hold their spots for years to come, couldnt manage any runs at all? The highest score outside Hodgey was about 70, so if batting was so easy you gotta wonder why they drop the only player who could make runs...

BTW just curious, do you apply the same logic to Phillip Hughes? Take out his best game and then judge his performances? I assume not given that would put his average below Cameron White :)

Yeah lets play a bloke that leaves half way through a training session because he can't be bothered.

Hodge in the ODI team would be a complete joke.
Our OD side should be looking at youth, Hodge has refreshed himself by retiring from FC cricket. Why bring him in now? He's hit a good patch of form against two average sides. I think I could've scored 120 against WA that night, it was all short.
Good domestic player, but picking him in the International side would be a wasted spot.

Most people on here have alluded to the "real" reasons behind Brad Hodge's continual omission from various teams over the past ten or so years. It is not form related.

He originally missed out on a tour to SA just after posting his 200 against them losing a 50/50 call with Damien Martyn. Martyn was made the scapegoat after the 2005 Ashes but still held his spot in the one day team. It was suggested to me that Martyn was preferred by senior members of the team over Hodge for two reasons - he had a problem with really quick bowlers and wasn't the best tourist.

It is rumuored that he vented his displeasure at being overlooked at a Selector. The old adage "you can't fight city hall" rings true and this has not been forgotten at CA. Like M Elliot previously he has played sporadically when required but never left long in the "team" environment, join the dots. If you watch any of his interviews on Fox Sports he appears to me to be always having a veiled dig at the selectors, which is fine but it does him no favours.

At 36 with an ageing group, his days are unforunately over in Green & Gold.

Most people on here have alluded to the "real" reasons behind Brad Hodge's continual omission from various teams over the past ten or so years. It is not form related.

He originally missed out on a tour to SA just after posting his 200 against them losing a 50/50 call with Damien Martyn. Martyn was made the scapegoat after the 2005 Ashes but still held his spot in the one day team. It was suggested to me that Martyn was preferred by senior members of the team over Hodge for two reasons - he had a problem with really quick bowlers and wasn't the best tourist.

It is rumuored that he vented his displeasure at being overlooked at a Selector. The old adage "you can't fight city hall" rings true and this has not been forgotten at CA. Like M Elliot previously he has played sporadically when required but never left long in the "team" environment, join the dots. If you watch any of his interviews on Fox Sports he appears to me to be always having a veiled dig at the selectors, which is fine but it does him no favours.

At 36 with an ageing group, his days are unforunately over in Green & Gold.

This is correct.
Playing 25 ODI's and failing in 20 of them also has something to do with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Hodge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back