Brad Hodge

Remove this Banner Ad

There hasnt been a season yet that Brad Hodge was the dominant domestic player. Players 10 years younger than him have been outperforming him in FC cricket and certainly at his age being good just isnt enough.

If you are trying to justify or argue Hodge being hard done by, at least provide some evidence. Its easy to argue 'Hodge has been making mountains of runs every season therefore he should be in.' Show some stats.

As I said, last 69 ave last year, I'd like to add this years totals to that average.

people saying hodge has hit a form patch the last 2 games it a bit off the mark. His domestic one day form over the 2-3 years has been fantastic.

in the last 3 years he has scored the following centuries: 119, 116, 102, 103, 114, 113, 140, 134, 136 & 139. 10 centuries, not a bad effort.

His form has also coincided with the fact he realises he wont ever play for australia again. With the pressure off, he has released the shackles and plays care free cricket and his form has shown how good he can be.

Unfortunatly for him, in the ODI arena, he never really took his chances. He had a made some decent contributions against NZ for about 6-7 games, both here and there in 2007. Apart from that he never got going.

When the 20/20's came around, he should definetly been kept in there. was the best in the world and could have shown the aussies how to play it. But the aussies went for a youth policy and cant complain against that.

He is one of those blokes, like jamie siddons, darren lehamn (to an extent), david hussey, rogers, love, law who were just around at the wrong time. would get a game easily now if he was 5 years younger.
There is a common denominator amongst all the players mentioned above.Throw in Dean Jones and any other unlucky player you can think of.All states represented except one.Think of every lucky player in history and one state is horribly over represented.

09/10 ODD:
Hodge: 622 @ 69 (dominant)

08/09 ODD:
Hodge: 311 @ 38 (the likes Rogers, Klinger, Ferguson all well ahead)

07/08 ODD:
Hodge: 350 @ 50 (the likes of Dighton, Elliot, D Hussey well ahead)

09/10 SS:
Hodge: 276 @ 70 (just 4 digs but Hughes/Smith/Klinger/Hussey far far ahead)

08/09 SS:
Hodge: 808 @ 61 (6th best with Klinger/Rogers/Hughes well ahead)

07/08: 762 @ 47 (Katich 1500 @ 94 was the dominant batsman)

In the past 3 seasons Hodge has had one dominant season in both formats of domestic cricket. Pretty solid for sure, but hes nearly 36 now and solid form is not good enough when guys 10-15 years younger are posting more impressive stats. If he continues his recent form this year and gets a call up to the WC squad, good on him. But his ODI form wont do him any favours.
His test ave. was mid 50s.He is cleary still the best one day player in aus. dom. cricket .Probably a better player than 4 of our current ODI side batsmen.The Hodge situation is a joke and i hope he launchs scathing attacks at the ***** who have held him back every time they interview him from now on like he did yesterday.

but he failed in all his of odi innings apart from 5?

surely that means...go away you cannot cut it at international level?

Saw an interview with him on FSN this morning, he was acting like a petulant child. I always thought he was unlucky to miss out after the way he started his test career, players have been retained in the side after a lot less success. But with the way that he spoke, and arrogantly claimed that if he made less runs he might get a gig, I can't imagine the selectors liking his form.

Saw an interview with him on FSN this morning, he was acting like a petulant child. I always thought he was unlucky to miss out after the way he started his test career, players have been retained in the side after a lot less success. But with the way that he spoke, and arrogantly claimed that if he made less runs he might get a gig, I can't imagine the selectors liking his form.

This is his problem. Sure he's made a ton of runs, but the bloke is an absolute baby and this is what's held him back.

Can you blame him?
Look qt the run that North has been given, Hodge is miles better and got treated like dirt by the selectors. Hussey has been a liability for the last 2-3 years but his place has never been questioned.
If I was Hosge I would be filthy as well, twice the batsmen North is, who probably didn't deserve a spot on the Test team in the first place.
It would be nice if somebody had the balls to call out the clowns on the selection table.

09/10 ODD:
Hodge: 622 @ 69 (dominant)

08/09 ODD:
Hodge: 311 @ 38 (the likes Rogers, Klinger, Ferguson all well ahead)

07/08 ODD:
Hodge: 350 @ 50 (the likes of Dighton, Elliot, D Hussey well ahead)

09/10 SS:
Hodge: 276 @ 70 (just 4 digs but Hughes/Smith/Klinger/Hussey far far ahead)

08/09 SS:
Hodge: 808 @ 61 (6th best with Klinger/Rogers/Hughes well ahead)

07/08: 762 @ 47 (Katich 1500 @ 94 was the dominant batsman)

In the past 3 seasons Hodge has had one dominant season in both formats of domestic cricket. Pretty solid for sure, but hes nearly 36 now and solid form is not good enough when guys 10-15 years younger are posting more impressive stats. If he continues his recent form this year and gets a call up to the WC squad, good on him. But his ODI form wont do him any favours.
But looking at those last 3 seasons of OD form, there is no one even close to him over the 3 years and his last season and this season have been so dominant that he is by far the best OD batsman in Australian domestic cricket and there is no player 10-15 years younger dominating at all.

If you look at the couple of players 2-3 years ago that were doing better than him, only 1 of them is even in contention for higher honours, a couple of others retired and a couple of others not wanted, so really there is no one pushing harder for a spot. Yet you constantly see Marsh getting game after game no matter the form, Warner has done nothing really yet still they keep trying him out

No reason he should be overlooked for a one day spot other than maybe his poor record in India, but he deserves a few games this summer atleast but it wont happen because he dares to speak the truth, same happened to Nathan Bracken, he disappeared after public attacking the selectors

But Hodgeys problem is he does it himself, up north of the Murray they have their coaches to front the media and attack the selectors every time someone misses out

No reason he should be overlooked for a one day spot other than maybe his poor record in India, but he deserves a few games this summer atleast but it wont happen because he dares to speak the truth, same happened to Nathan Bracken, he disappeared after public attacking the selectors

Bracken's disappearance was due to the fact that he got injured.

I thought he was also fit at one stage but still being overlooked? Maybe my memory is hazy

He publicly questioned then why he wasn't getting a go at Test cricket when he was at the top of his game in the OD side and never got a look. He wasn't a test bowler anyway IMO

You have to laugh. All the whingeing going on from the Victorians because Hodgey didn't get a fair go, and the OP compares him to David Warner who opens the batting for a start, and has had all of 7 ODI innings!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL at the brad hodge hate.

Not half the whinger Katich was, or the self promoting git brett lee was.

Katich put his words into action and broke the all time run scoring record for a season as soon as he was dropped.

Hodge whinges every time he is interviewed. Its quite sad.

Those guys at least are players that performed for Australia, Hodge choked at international level when given a chance then cried like a girl.

LOL after his first couple of years, brett lee was carried by McGrath and warne and then served up a diet of 4 and 6 balls. and who can forget his embarrassing fist pumping action for getting a no.10 or no.11 batsman after being tonked around the ground for a day and a half.

Not half the bowler that Dizzy Gillespie was, and dizzy was never given half the chances lee was.

As for Katich, including him at the expense of a rampant Mike Hussey contributed to us losing the ashes in 05, and martyn's selection for that series was a joke.

Katich's test selection at the time was reward for crossing from WA to NSW.

. and who can forget his embarrassing fist pumping action for getting a no.10 or no.11 batsman after being tonked around the ground for a day and a half.

Haha, I have to give you that one. Went to a Test against New Zealand at the WACA around 2002 and after copping a pasting from Astle and Parore all day he leaped and danced around like a complete git after clean bowling gun kiwi batsman Shane Bond near the close of play. One of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen on a cricket field.

As for Katich, including him at the expense of a rampant Mike Hussey contributed to us losing the ashes in 05, and martyn's selection for that series was a joke.

Katich's test selection at the time was reward for crossing from WA to NSW.

Wtf?

The guy who had been our best player in the year leading up to the 05 Ashes? That Martyn? Or have you just written the wrong name down?

Gilchrist's failure with the bat also contributed to us losing the Ashes, In fact it was nearly all the batsmen who failed fairly consistently throughout the series, it is tough to single out Katich as the main culprit. Not to mention Gillespie having a bowling average of about 100 by the end of the third test match.

If ever there was a case of collective failure, it was that series.

Maybe Punter and Warne as the exceptions. Everybody else was pretty trash.

Wtf?

The guy who had been our best player in the year leading up to the 05 Ashes? That Martyn? Or have you just written the wrong name down?

Gilchrist's failure with the bat also contributed to us losing the Ashes, In fact it was nearly all the batsmen who failed fairly consistently throughout the series, it is tough to single out Katich as the main culprit. Not to mention Gillespie having a bowling average of about 100 by the end of the third test match.

If ever there was a case of collective failure, it was that series.

Maybe Punter and Warne as the exceptions. Everybody else was pretty trash.

Fair call, but IMO the game was lost at the selection table when the selectors left out the form batsmen of Aus.

Mike Hussey being dropped after the ODI's and him slaughtering the brits in the domestic county competition after slaughtering them in the ODIs makes it a complete joke that he was left out because of english conditions...

Martyn was badly out of form leading into that series, despite being a gun batsman for years leading up, and had previously been dropped.

Hayden was trying to smash every ball out of the park instead putting his head down as he did in the 4th and 5th tests.

And warne was magnificent.

my bad it was 05/06 martyn's form dropped off.

Fair call, but IMO the game was lost at the selection table when the selectors left out the form batsmen of Aus.

Mike Hussey being dropped after the ODI's and him slaughtering the brits in the domestic county competition after slaughtering them in the ODIs makes it a complete joke that he was left out because of english conditions...

Martyn was badly out of form leading into that series, despite being a gun batsman for years leading up, and had previously been dropped.

my bad it was 05/06 martyn's form dropped off.

That was Hayden. He was doing a 2009/10 Mike Hussey leading into that series, he was that bad. Actually, he was probably worse.

I thought that Huss should have been chosen for the 2009 Ashes for the reasons you have mentioned. But how big a letdown was he? His magnificent County record meant diddly squat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Hodge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back