Toast Brad Lloyd - Head of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

We deserve a plan. Transparency. No Board or Mgt level personnel at our club has earnt “just trust us” status. Not that anyone here is suggesting same. It’s just the counter to the “give us a plan” argument I am making.

Sayers Cook Lloyd Voss: what’s the plan?

I don’t agree with Arrow’s implied view that the thinking stops at “getting rid of injured players” and “the list is unbalanced”. Root cause? How did it happen? Who recruited the players? Who left them on the list? Who oversaw that? Well…..Lloyd has overseen the decision makers of List Mgt Recruiting High Performance and fitness for all those years.

He is in the same situation as Russell. It is time to go. My bet is he gets sacked within 2 weeks.

We deserve a plan. Transparency. No Board or Mgt level personnel at our club has earnt “just trust us” status. Not that anyone here is suggesting same. It’s just the counter to the “give us a plan” argument I am making.

I don’t agree with Arrow’s implied view that the thinking stops at “getting rid of injured players” and “the list is unbalanced”. Root cause? How did it happen? Who recruited the players? Who left them on the list? Who oversaw that? Well…..Lloyd has overseen the decision makers of List Mgt Recruiting High Performance and fitness for all those years.

He is in the same situation as Russell. It is time to go. My bet is he gets sacked within 2 weeks.
Yeah too many issues gone by the wayside right under his nose. If he isn’t held accountable for that then his role can’t be important.

Like Russell, we can't say who was responsible but we can suppose that we have enough evidence to say that changing personnel won't make it worse in the short to medium term.

And again, like Russell, they are the titular head of a program, if the program isn't delivering who else should be held responsible but the one in charge?

And he comes the strawman response. I've never disappeared from any topic

I thought your qualm was with the injury list, not fitness.

Injuries, my stance has never waivered, move on the injury prone or the new guy will have the same issue

As for fitness, I think you are the one that disappeared back half of last year, but you had plenty of mates

So, you have proven nothing

I take it you can share what Lloyd's responsibilities entail

How do you know if he has made mistakes if you don't know his brief

You really think in an organisation, one person signs off on strategies?

Cook, along with all senior leaders will review the year, determine what worked and what didn't

More importantly, whether any area was successful or not, Cook's first point of call will be if the agreed strategies were adhered

I'd think a Head of Football owns responsibility for football decisions.

Arrow let’s just pretend this year never happened.

Let’s roll out with the same off field team as this year.

Great success.
Sadly from the tone of Lloyd’s interview that was posted on afl.com today it seems that is exactly what is going to happen. Aside from the new HPM it seems like the way to address the inconsistency of the team’s performances (something which has plagued us during his entire tenure as FM) will be to back the existing coaching panel for another year.

Sadly from the tone of Lloyd’s interview that was posted on afl.com today it seems that is exactly what is going to happen. Aside from the new HPM it seems like the way to address the inconsistency of the team’s performances (something which has plagued us during his entire tenure as FM) will be to back the existing coaching panel for another year.

Kate Roffey was recently sacked on the back of a disastrous interview and general poor performance.
Sounds like business as usual though for Lloyd and the Carlton Country Club …

Last edited:
Yes we do know Lloyd is not ticking the right boxes by what we see on the field.
Assistant Coaching, List Management, Fitness & selection are all sub par.
Therefore change is required and it usually starts at the top

Yeah too many issues gone by the wayside right under his nose. If he isn’t held accountable for that then his role can’t be important.

Like Russell, we can't say who was responsible but we can suppose that we have enough evidence to say that changing personnel won't make it worse in the short to medium term.

And again, like Russell, they are the titular head of a program, if the program isn't delivering who else should be held responsible but the one in charge?

I'd think a Head of Football owns responsibility for football decisions.
Here is a general overview of the position I cobbled together from a couple of different sources (Position Descriptions at other clubs) not going to be 100% accurate but should address most tasks. Ultimately, just like the coach and players, the buck stops with him. My Comments next to the Key Responsibilities;

Brad Lloyd - GM of Football

The role of the General Manager of Football stands as a pivotal position within the Club’s Football Department. This role assumes responsibility for the effective delivery and oversight of all football programs, teams, and their respective coaching departments and support staff throughout the Club.

The General Manager Football is required to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the rules and regulations and maintain a high level of management for our Senior Men’s and Women’s teams. The position involves oversight and direct involvement, in the logistics and football services management of these teams, working in conjunction with Football Services managers.

Here are some of their key responsibilities:

• Football Strategy and Planning:
  • Player Recruitment and List Management: (This has been the biggest point of failure. Our list and contracts have not been well managed, especially those on the long term/perpetual Injured list. We should have culled a lot of these player during his tenure.)
  • Team Management: (Match Committee & Selection has been very poor, when even the most obvious changes to the list have been subject of great debate and seemingly very little player development. Player stuck in VFL dont appear to be developing fast enough and aren't getting picked in the Senior team to get used to the pace of AFL, yet injured players are coming back underdone and re-injuring.)
  • Performance Analysis:
  • Staff Management:
  • Budget Management:
  • Player Welfare:
  • Liaison with Other Departments:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow that’s shit, ”learnings” WTF!
How about “we need to do better” a simple message we can all get behind.
Nope, they give us bullshit spin.
No one would disagree with “injury’s were a big set back & we’ve taken steps to address that”.
“We need to adapt to the challenges we will face next season & learn from what wasn’t good enough this year”

Pretty bloody simple to address & give us some sense of hope that shit will change.

Gee - I don't normally go club employees especially from afar as we don't know the internal workings and capabilities.

But he is one unimpressive head of football isn't he? And has been for a few years sadly.

"There was some growth, but it'll come in the learnings and from what we went through. I think there were some pretty clear learnings, particularly in the second half of the year, in regard to the way we want to play and trying to get more durability through the list.

"The growth will come in the learnings as much as anything else. Obviously, we wanted to be a top-four side and to win finals and we showed that at different stages, but we need to learn from it. That's where the growth will be."

This cannot be a real quote? Can we get a new head of football please, even if above isn't the deciding factor its just time for some change surely. Cannot imagine Graham Wright or others at top football clubs talking like this.

Last edited:
Answering “Was the season a missed opportunity” with “Yes & no” sums up the lack of substance to this bloke.

Leaves a lot of room for <insert excuses>

I don't want excuses. I don't want "compromise."

I want accountability.

Yes, it was a missed opportunity. Some of it was beyond our control, but FFS, so many bad decisions of the stuff that was within our control.

Leaves a lot of room for <insert excuses>

I don't want excuses. I don't want "compromise."

I want accountability.

Yes, it was a missed opportunity. Some of it was beyond our control, but FFS, so many bad decisions of the stuff that was within our control.

Agreed. The constant rotation of players was compounded by team selection being so bad. Every week we had to change 3-4 players meaning we never built any continuity but as I say compounded by silly selection decisions.

Articles like that cost about 10000 members.

When a club totally butchers a season, the last thing members/supporters want to hear is b/s spin.
Be honest and own it … straight up.
Amazing lack of awareness and a window into why the football department has underperformed so badly …

One thing discussed on the Prendercast pod was the need for someone to be questioning decisions rather than being "yes" men. Do we have such a person? Are they getting a say? Should that be Lloyd himself or should he ensure we have someone? The context was that we seem to have made a lot of poor decisions over the last few months. Hard to say without inside perspective. Maybe we have someone and it could have been worse if not for them?

Gee - I don't normally go club employees especially from afar as we don't know the internal workings and capabilities.

But he is one unimpressive head of football isn't he? And has been for a few years sadly.

This cannot be a real quote? Can we get a new head of football please, even if above isn't the deciding factor its just time for some change surely. Cannot imagine Graham Wright or others at top football clubs talking like this.

Brad Lloyd has been holding us back for years. Cook needs to step up and make some big decisions soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Brad Lloyd - Head of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back