Remove this Banner Ad

perko

Rookie
Feb 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How do we rate this bloke?
Without Clinton Young, it seems to me that we'll need his kid's outside run, but is he good, really good or just a list-filler? There's not much of him, but he seemed to show a bit in his five games last year.

good runner but to me, he is not physical enough. apart from providing outside run, he needs to be able to withstand the heat and go inside when it is his turn.

i am sure he will get there with a more matured body

good runner but to me, he is not physical enough. apart from providing outside run, he needs to be able to withstand the heat and go inside when it is his turn.

Young, the player he is largely to replace, was one of the least physical players I've seen go around... yet most fans just praised his outside run (which Hill potentially provides even more of)

Hill is absolutely flying at the moment. Training the house down, taken his running to a new level, and his bringing a new level of footy maturity into the competitive work. I think many people will be surprised just how far he's come.

He is a class ball handler and athlete - both AFL standard without doubt.

But just what is he now and what is he going to be?

I would make him do his apprenticeship spending some serious time both as a defensive fwd and as a run with. He is a sheepdog at the moment. It does make sense to let him sheepdog for another year though and let him run free. But at some stage he needs an education if he is to be a very good player.

I love his self confidence on the field and willingness to do things himself. We need a few more of these guys. We know from draft camp he will push himself. The question is how competitive is he against others. Does he absolutely farking hate being beaten in a contest or is he happy just playing AFL?

I dont know if he will ever be a regular gun but can see some real patches of brilliance to win us games.

Has plenty to work with. I look forward to watching him this year.

Many are swapping him straight in for Youngy. Different player.

I expect Hill will come on in leaps and bounds this year. He and Smith provide the most speed and endurance on our list. The fact that he was given a few games last year indicates the coaching staff rate him and wanted to advance his development.

For those questioning his ability to win the hard ball I would be astounded if he was not under instruction to play a strictly outside game until he builds up after a few preseasons. We have plenty of hard men who can win the inside ball so why risk injury to a 65kg tyro who is being given game time to gain some experience.

I expect Hill will come on in leaps and bounds this year. He and Smith provide the most speed and endurance on our list. The fact that he was given a few games last year indicates the coaching staff rate him and wanted to advance his development.

For those questioning his ability to win the hard ball I would be astounded if he was not under instruction to play a strictly outside game until he builds up after a few preseasons. We have plenty of hard men who can win the inside ball so why risk injury to a 65kg tyro who is being given game time to gain some experience.
In big games against quality opposition you need all 22 men to be able the hard stuff when its there turn to go. For Hill to be a regular he needs to put on weight (in this its his power to weight ratio, not weight for weight sake).
With players, sometimes its existing perceptions that cloud our views. In the first half of last year when young was playing I was/had the perception of young not pulling his weight when it was his turn to go. Once I took of my glasses, I realised when it was his turn to do the hard things he didnt hesitate, that doesnt mean he was great at it, but he was acceptable standard.
Young was/is a solid tackler(not great) and will contest the ball when against an opponent. What he didnt have was the clean touch that a Mitchel has, that gives mitchel that fraction of time to off load when in this situation, but then that wasnt his primary role in the side to be a "Mitchel" either.

I think Hill will be competing with Savage for young's role. If we do not have to many injuries, I see Hill as a 6-10 game player this season for us. he will continue his development, but unless he has increased his power dramactically with his defensive pressure, this year I cant see him commanding a regular spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hill is absolutely flying at the moment. Training the house down, taken his running to a new level, and his bringing a new level of footy maturity into the competitive work. I think many people will be surprised just how far he's come.

I have to concur with Grizz here. I've just been down at training, and a few players stood out to me but the one that just kept catching me eye was Bradley Hill. He was in everything, wherever the ball was, he was there. The conditions were very blustery but his kicking was sensational, pinpoint. He's definitely bigger than last year to.

I have to concur with Grizz here. I've just been down at training, and a few players stood out to me but the one that just kept catching me eye was Bradley Hill. He was in everything, wherever the ball was, he was there. The conditions were very blustery but his kicking was sensational, pinpoint. He's definitely bigger than last year to.

The obvious skills and superlative athletic ability aside, it's the rapid development of his footy nous that is so exciting. Bundle it all together - as he appears to have done thus far - and you have a very exciting player waiting to make an impact.

The obvious skills and superlative athletic ability aside, it's the rapid development of his footy nous that is so exciting. Bundle it all together - as he appears to have done thus far - and you have a very exciting player waiting to make an impact.

I am struggling to keep my excitement in check. Please gentlemen just wait a little between posts otherwise i might orgasm

From what I've seen this year, I'm pleasantly surprised by the depth of his kicking as well as the things Axeman has mentioned.

I must admit, I was kind of expecting Tim Clark-esque penetration (apologies to Tim Clarke, but you know what I mean) based on what I'd seen last year, but it was nothing like that.

Young, the player he is largely to replace, was one of the least physical players I've seen go around... yet most fans just praised his outside run (which Hill potentially provides even more of)

And thats why Young seems to always get himself into bother when he can't run away... Hopefully Hill can be better than that.

I dun see why we need to pigeon-hole him to replace Young. All I am saying he needs to be able to withstand the physical stuff when he encounters an opponent to improve as a player because it is footy afterall.

I agree that his run is his biggest asset but he may not always find space to run e.g tackled and get caught inside. In such situations, he needs to be able to cope. Hopefully he is addressing that.

Grizz, have they been doing a lot of game like drills/training? Just wondering, if it's the nous that has gone to a new level where/how has it been identified?

I think he has a great chance to be an influential player if he has the brain for footy. That and if his ball skills can develop to a high level..

Geez a lot of pressure on Hill even before a ball has been bounced!!

My one query on him is where he gets the ball on the ground. It is more often than not boundary side rather than inside which isnt ideal. But if grizz's words are true and his footy nous is developing at a rapid rate then we are in for a ride.

It is exciting just how clean he is at ground level. Makes me think he should be spending time in the F50.

If you go back and review the clubs thoughts on last season, you will find he had an exceptional first year.
I expect to see a lot of him this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bradley Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back