Traded Brandon Zerk-Thatcher [Traded to Port Adelaide in Duursma & Picks Swap]

Remove this Banner Ad

BZT is barely best 22 in a pretty average Bombers team. I reckon he will be ranked at Port between 18-30.

I also think he has reached his natural talent ceiling but with the right development and system should be a consistent B Grade Contributor.
In this scenario, what are his reasons for requesting a trade?

Surely you are not suggesting Port pay their 18-30s more than Essendon is offering for ~15th player picked? And not just a bit more, enough that he’d uproot his whole life for it.

Or were they in his ear for 12 months about taco Tuesday and Sunday night roasts?

Yeah, both of those teams have picks before Port in the PSD.

It'll be 37 and change.
Lol. Not even Essendon are petty enough to sign up a guy who doesn't want to be there and who would be depth at best next year after the McKay signing on a four year deal out of spite.

Surely you are not suggesting Port pay their 18-30s more than Essendon is offering for ~15th player picked? And not just a bit more, enough that he’d uproot his whole life for it.
BZT sees the writing on the wall with McKay's signing and Reid and Baldwin's development. He gets to come home and play for a side with a better overall list than Essendon but worse KPD stocks. Why wouldn't he do it?

Or were they in his ear for 12 months about taco Tuesday and Sunday night roasts?

Haha... who knows what the player wants?

Lol. Not even Essendon are petty enough to sign up a guy who doesn't want to be there and who would be depth at best next year after the McKay signing on a four year deal out of spite.

BZT sees the writing on the wall with McKay's signing and Reid and Baldwin's development. He gets to come home and play for a side with a better overall list than Essendon but worse KPD stocks. Why wouldn't he do it?
He wouldn't be depth numbnuts, McKay would take the monsters and he'd play on the second tall and be able to use his reading of the play to intercept. The point, however, is that it isn't a threat because we have a pick before you.

The threat is often real but it clearly isn't in this case.

He wouldn't be depth numbnuts,
He would and he knows it. That's why he's leaving.

If Essendon want to sign him up in the PSD o. a 4 year contract after he's publicly rejected them, be our guest lol. I'm on the record as not wanting him in the first place so that would be just about the funniest possible outcome for me, fingers crossed that's what happens.

He would and he knows it. That's why he's leaving.

If Essendon want to sign him up in the PSD o. a 4 year contract after he's publicly rejected them, be our guest lol. I'm on the record as not wanting him in the first place so that would be just about the funniest possible outcome for me, fingers crossed that's what happens.
No, he wouldn't be. He's been playing as the only key defender for the past two years.

He's leaving because Port put in a 4 year deal. He will be best 22 at either club. You can bluster all you want but you have no clue as you have repeatedly shown.

No, he wouldn't be. He's been playing as the only key defender for the past two years.

He's leaving because Port put in a 4 year deal. He will be best 22 at either club. You can bluster all you want but you have no clue as you have repeatedly shown.
Ironically, the Bombers would have to pay offers to keep him via the PSD.
That is, any pre-season draft selection must adhere to Zerks's nominated preferred contract terms with Port.

Where hopefully Port has copied the Carlton precedent with Jack Martin.
That is, Carlton loaded up a front-end deal and Martin refused to discuss the details with any other Clubs.

All of this shabbiness could have been avoided if the Bombers did not create the problem with all their previous drip-feed 12 month contracts to Zerk-Thatcher. If the Bombers try to match his four year contract offer from Port; well, they can have a stab and end up paying massive overs.

Very brave to create a risk to the salary cap that will now include $McKay.

Ironically, the Bombers would have to pay offers to keep him via the PSD.
That is, any pre-season draft selection must adhere to Zerks's nominated preferred contract terms with Port.

Where hopefully Port has copied the Carlton precedent with Jack Martin.
That is, Carlton loaded up a front-end deal and Martin refused to discuss the details with any other Clubs.

All of this shabbiness could have been avoided if the Bombers did not create the problem with all their previous drip-feed 12 month contracts to Zerk-Thatcher. If the Bombers try to match his four year contract offer from Port; well, they can have a stab and end up paying massive overs.

Very brave to create a risk to the salary cap that will now include $McKay.
Sure, except every contract so far has been a two year deal. His initial draftee contract, followed by a two year deal signed halfway through his second year then another 2 years after that. We offered three, you offered four.

And the fact you think we have a salary cap issue says how uninformed you are. We have more cap space than anyone in the AFL.

Though I shouldn't be surprised when you repeatedly talk about Hayes, a bloke you guys are probably delisting, for him.

Because you had no one else, which is the only reason a spud like him has played 50 games. Now you do.

McKay and Ridley are clearly better. Laverde v BZT is marginal but I'd take Laverde. Reid and Baldwin will both be better soon if they're not already. Essendon should just be grateful that another club has made the poor decision to take this guy your hands before his trade value would have plummeted. Give BZT another year or two on the Bombers list and 37 would look generous.

Because you had no one else, which is the only reason a spud like him has played 50 games. Now you do.

McKay and Ridley are clearly better. Laverde v BZT is marginal but I'd take Laverde. Reid and Baldwin will both be better soon if they're not already. Essendon should just be grateful that another club has made the poor decision to take this guy your hands before his trade value would have plummeted. Give BZT another year or two on the Bombers list and 37 would look generous.
He's not a spud. That's why your club have offered him 4 years and ours three.

Ridley isn't a key defender, he's more a Tom Stewart type.
Laverde is also undersized and would be the one to make way or play as a medium
McKay is better at taking the monsters but if he's better it's marginal
Reid has barely played

It's pretty obvious that you're clueless. 37 is unders, next year you'll see that.

He's not a spud. That's why your club have offered him 4 years and ours three.

Ridley isn't a key defender, he's more a Tom Stewart type.
Laverde is also undersized and would be the one to make way or play as a medium
McKay is better at taking the monsters but if he's better it's marginal
Reid has barely played

It's pretty obvious that you're clueless. 37 is unders, next year you'll see that.
Mate, the Bombers have enough free agency problems to deal with, they will simple trade Zerk and move on to their other targets.

They are being accused of manipulating free agency compensation with the Saints. Where Essendon ensures the salary it pays for Gresham is enough to provide St Kilda with either first-round or end-of-first-round free agency compensation.

St Kilda gets a first-round pick (selection 13) or end-of-first-round (pick 19) as free agency compensation for Gresham.
Then a week later in the trade period they hand that pick or something close to it back to Essendon for Dylan Shiel.

Mate, the Bombers have enough free agency problems to deal with, they will simple trade Zerk and move on to their other targets.

They are being accused of manipulating free agency compensation with the Saints. Where Essendon ensures the salary it pays for Gresham is enough to provide St Kilda with either first-round or end-of-first-round free agency compensation.

St Kilda gets a first-round pick (selection 13) or end-of-first-round (pick 19) as free agency compensation for Gresham.
Then a week later in the trade period they hand that pick or something close to it back to Essendon for Dylan Shiel.

Trade and free agency periods have some overlap so they could do it on the same day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade and free agency periods have some overlap so they could do it on the same day
Nope, coz restricted free agency takes 3 days to get confirmed, so they would have to do the trade 3 days after the FA deal. They could do both during the few days that both are open, but not on the same day.

Zerk will probably be the last deal we do because we'll sign McKay and Goldy day 1, do the Gresham and Shiel deal in the small overlap between FA/Trade part and after that we have nothing so we can basically focus on Zerk.

What you want to happen is gonna be different to what will probably happen.

He will be best 22 at either club.
I don't think he would be best 22 at Essendon next year if I'm being honest as I see Lav and Reid (praying he's fit) ahead of him in the 2nd KPD role. In saying that 37 alone isn't enough especially given it will fall back to around ~45 after NGA and F/S

I don't think he would be best 22 at Essendon next year if I'm being honest as I see Lav and Reid (praying he's fit) ahead of him in the 2nd KPD role. In saying that 37 alone isn't enough especially given it will fall back to around ~45 after NGA and F/S
'A second rounder isn't a good enough offer for our out of contract 25 year old fringe player'.

Okay good luck with that m8

There's a reason he takes the #1 and Laverde the #2 for minimal difference in conceding goals. It's cos he's better.

Reid won't play next year at all.

There's a reason he takes the #1 and Laverde the #2 for minimal difference in conceding goals. It's cos he's better.

Reid won't play next year at all.

Probably shouldn't be calling the other side 'clueless' when you're coming out with gems like this m8o.

Future second for Esava, 37 for BZT. If either club wants to push their player to the PSD rather than accept either of those entirely reasonable offers for uncontracted players of Esava and BZT's quality, hopefully we chance our luck with the PSD instead.

If it were me, I would possibly be willing to give up some small change to get Esava, who while certainly not a complete player at least has some really good attributes that could make him a high quality player with more experience down back. I wouldn't give up one future sixth rounder more than pick 37 for BZT, and I wouldn't be upset if that meant he ultimately ended up elsewhere in the PSD.

Not an elite one on one defender, not an elite interceptor, not an elite rebounder. Just a bog standard state league level KPD who managed to find his way to 50 AFL games because he happened to be drafted by a club with garbage KPD stocks at the time. Faced with the recruitment of McKay and the development of Reid and Baldwin, I'm pretty confident he wouldn't be best 22 for the Bombers next year if he stayed there. In fact if I was picking Essendon's team I would have already had Baldwin in the side over him for the second half of this year too.
Your psd pick will be in the teens. That's idiotic

Probably shouldn't be calling the other side 'clueless' when you're coming out with gems like this m8o.

Laverde played 3 less games and conceded over 40 this year as well.

40/19=2.1
53/22=2.4

So yeah, minimal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brandon Zerk-Thatcher [Traded to Port Adelaide in Duursma & Picks Swap]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back