Opinion Brasilian and South American Football thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Copa Libertadores — Quarterfinals

Grêmio - Atlético Tucumán
Game 1: Grêmio 2-0, in Argentina

River Plate - Independiente

Cruzeiro - Boca Júniors

Palmeiras - Colo-Colo

Are you guys going to go back to back?? What about the League I see you are 5th but 2 loses behind Sao Paulo. Are you going to give that a shake.

Are you guys going to go back to back??
We are certainly on it, but the remaining teams are strong. Confirming the spot in the semis, we face either River or Independiente — two traditional sides who are putting all their chips on the Libertadores. It won't be easy. It never is.

What about the League I see you are 5th but 2 loses behind Sao Paulo. Are you going to give that a shake.
When we lost the derby ten days ago, I thought we were as good as gone. However, we won, Internacional lost, and São Paulo tied, leaving us still in striking distance.

There seems to be six contenders (separated by 8 points, with 13 games to go): Inter, São Paulo, and Atlético Mineiro are only playing the league; Palmeiras are playing also cup, and Libertadores; Flamengo, cup; and Grêmio, the Libertadores.

We are still against the odds. We will need to beat Atlético, Palmeiras, Flamengo, and São Paulo, all away. Let's see...

Potential for a River-Boca final. Terrifying! Or Gremio-Palmeiras. What's your relationship like with Palmeiras GremioPower ?
It is not bad. I have good friends that support them. I have visited the club, and they received me well. We seem to have similar culture, although they have a strong social club, and we don't. I mean soccer-wise.

We had great games against them in the 90's. Their current coach, Scolari, was our coach during those clashes. Later, he coached Palmeiras succesfully as well. Their previous coach was a former Grêmio player from the "Scolari tree".

Last edited:

First game, in Buenos Aires:
River 0-1 Grêmio

---
RussellEbertHandball

This was Grêmio's fifth consecutive game against Argentine sides in this Copa Libertadores. Grêmio's record in those games is 4w, 0d, 1l.

Last edited:

First game, in Buenos Aires:
River 0-1 Grêmio

---
RussellEbertHandball

This was Grêmio's fifth consecutive game against Argentine sides in this Copa Libertadores. Grêmio's record in those games is 4w, 0d, 1l.

Soon to be 2Ls. 0-3 in Brazil.

Wednesday 31 October 2018
Copa Libertadores: Semi Final 2nd Leg: Gremio V River Plate

Live coverage of the 2018 Copa Libertadores Semi Final 2nd Leg. Gremio takes on River Plate at Gr�mio Arena. Kick off at 11.45am AEDT.
Channel 30 or 3.

Boca Juniors v Palmeiras 1st leg on today, 2nd leg 1/11. Viewing details are the same.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GremioPower I am watching the 1st half of the semi final vs River Plate live.

Its the 2nd or 3rd year that SBS (Soccer Bloody Soccer) have shown the 1/4 finals semi finals and final live on Free TV in Australia. The Copa Libertadores final has been shown live for about 8 to 10 years at least.

Your stadium looks great packed out and there is plenty of atmosphere and singing. Looks like a great stadium. Did you make the 700km drive to the game?

I watched the first half and whilst Gremio were 1-0 up, River Plate were the better team, especially the first 30 minutes.

I get back in front of a TV about 20 minutes ago and see the score is 1-2 River up, but the clock is showing 10.20 into extra time of 13 minutes and then they add another minute just before 13 minutes is up and make it 14 minutes of extra time. I don't think I have ever seen more than 8 minutes of extra time added on. First thought is, there probably has been a lot of rolling around and fake injuries.

But then they show the highlights after the game. River score a nice goal in the 82nd minute so must have been about 12 minutes of defending needed to get thru to the final. Then the hand ball in the 85th minute. I hate those shots where the ball hits the hand rather than hand is stuck out to stop or deflect the ball. That shot by the River player just inside the box was a full on strike at goal, the defenders hands are out but IMO it wasn't to stop the ball.

VAR is used, a penalty awarded, but 10 minutes is wasted arguing with the referee and touching and abusing him. Gremio lost all momentum and killed off any chance they had to get a goal to win because they mentally gave up. Accept it, stop arguing, and then attack, attack, attack would have been a better way to go. But they came in being very defensive minded, so I guess even if they did as I suggested they would have struggled to flick the switch to attack.

Last edited:
Why teams go negative when they're well on top is beyond me. I've seen multiple Port games where our eventual defeat or close win after a large lead has been due in no small part by our desire to go defensive in the second half. Gremio had a 2-0 overall lead at half-time and even when they were 2-1 on aggregate only had 8 minutes to go. Looks like the VAR and argument took about 7 minutes as the red card for Bressan was 88' and the penalty was 90+5'. Stats say River Plate had 68% possession but the stat I would like to see would be possession in the opponent's half after halftime. I saw most of the second half and I did not see Gremio have one possession in their opponents' half.

I watched the first half and whilst Gremio were 1-0 up, River Plate were the better team, especially the first 30 minutes.

I get back in front of a TV about 20 minutes ago and see the score is 1-2 River up, but the clock is showing 10.20 into extra time of 13 minutes and then they add another minute just before 13 minutes is up and make it 14 minutes of extra time. I don't think I have ever seen more than 8 minutes of extra time added on. First thought is, there probably has been a lot of rolling around and fake injuries.

But then they show the highlights after the game. River score a nice goal in the 82nd minute so must have been about 12 minutes of defending needed to get thru to the final. Then the hand ball in the 85th minute. I hate those shots where the ball hits the hand rather than hand is stuck out to stop or deflect the ball. That shot by the River player just inside the box was a full on strike at goal, the defenders hands are out but IMO it wasn't to stop the ball.

VAR is used, a penalty awarded, but 10 minutes is wasted arguing with the referee and touching and abusing him. Gremio lost all momentum and killed off any chance they had to get a goal to win because they mentally gave up. Accept it, stop arguing, and then attack, attack, attack would have been a better way to go. But they came in being very defensive minded, so I guess even if they did as I suggested they would have struggled to flick the switch to attack.
The touching and abusing of referees is the worst and very tipical of south American football. It serves no purpose and I've never seen a referee change a call because of that.

The touching and abusing of referees is the worst and very tipical of south American football. It serves no purpose and I've never seen a referee change a call because of that.
Yeah as much as I hate refs/umpires/ making dumb decisions you just don't touch them or personal abuse I don't like.

But arguing the point strongly with them isn't about changing the decision, its about making sure they dont make another stuff up decision again.

I dont have a problem players arguing to the ref/umpire that "you owe us the benefit of the doubt next time", especially when the TV screen at the ground shows a stuff up decision.

This part of the rule shows why handball was the correct decision, even though it was probably accidental.

A handball should not be awarded if a player is ruled to have handled the ball accidentally. This refers to a player either attempting to protect himself from injury, for example by placing the hands in front of the face and then being hit by the ball, or a player being hit on the arm by the ball without moving towards the ball and without being able to move out of the way. An example might be a snap shot hitting the arm of a defender at point-blank range. However, if a player’s arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not.

This calls for a judgement call be the referee. Bressan's arm was outstretched to balance himself but was in a position to prevent or at the very least limit a shot on goal. The decision to award a second yellow was harsh and probably incorrect, it has to be a deliberate act.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back