Opinion Brasilian and South American Football thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Port have a great pre-game setup but...

Argentines are among the best in the world in polo players, barrackers, and rioters. Brazil cannot compete in those areas.

A very fine line between passion and criminality. They've taken it too far this time, unfortunately not the first time. And I doubt it'll be the last.
Conmebol is ruled by cowards, and the situation of soccer in Argentina seems to be beyond salvation.

The only solution: :p
file978558236719290055.png

The 2nd leg has been postponed again after the bullshit on the weekend when the players in the Boca team bus where hit by projectiles thrown by River fans, which broke bus windows and the tear gas got in and affected a few players.

Looks like the 2nd leg could be played in Brazil or even Italy are bidding.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46363739
The postponed Copa Libertadores final second leg between River Plate and Boca Juniors will be played outside of Argentina on 8 or 9 December.

Saturday's game was initially delayed until Sunday after River Plate supporters attacked the Boca Juniors team bus, before being postponed. A statement from South American football's governing body Conmebol said a date and venue would be decided "as soon as possible". The first leg of the final ended 2-2. Conmebol president Alejandro Dominguez met with the presidents of both clubs on Tuesday. The statement added that Conmebol would co-ordinate security with the relevant authorities before the rearranged fixture.

The fixture had been poised as the biggest club match in the 127-year history of Argentine football. But it was marred by the "shameful" attack in which Boca players suffered cuts from the glass from broken windows, and were also affected by the tear gas used by police to disperse the crowds. A number of players, including Boca's former Manchester City, Manchester United and Juventus striker Carlos Tevez, reportedly suffered from dizziness and vomiting and were being treated by club doctors.

The mayor of Buenos Aires, Horacio Rodriguez Larreta, said River Plate hooligans described as the "mafia of Argentine soccer" were behind the attack. It came a day after police raided the house of a leader of the Barra Brava - the powerful and violent wing of River's hardcore support - and confiscated 10m pesos (£207,285) and 300 tickets for the final.

Paraguay, Brazil and Italy have all offered to hold the match.

On Monday, the city government of Genoa wrote to both clubs offering to host the postponed match because of the role immigrants from the Italian city played in forming the two Argentine clubs.

The 2nd leg has been postponed again after the bullshit on the weekend when the players in the Boca team bus where hit by projectiles thrown by River fans, which broke bus windows and the tear gas got in and affected a few players.

Looks like the 2nd leg could be played in Brazil or even Italy are bidding.

The postponed Copa Libertadores final second leg between River Plate and Boca Juniors will be played outside of Argentina on 8 or 9 December.

Saturday's game was initially delayed until Sunday after River Plate supporters attacked the Boca Juniors team bus, before being postponed. A statement from South American football's governing body Conmebol said a date and venue would be decided "as soon as possible". The first leg of the final ended 2-2. Conmebol president Alejandro Dominguez met with the presidents of both clubs on Tuesday. The statement added that Conmebol would co-ordinate security with the relevant authorities before the rearranged fixture.

The fixture had been poised as the biggest club match in the 127-year history of Argentine football. But it was marred by the "shameful" attack in which Boca players suffered cuts from the glass from broken windows, and were also affected by the tear gas used by police to disperse the crowds. A number of players, including Boca's former Manchester City, Manchester United and Juventus striker Carlos Tevez, reportedly suffered from dizziness and vomiting and were being treated by club doctors.

The mayor of Buenos Aires, Horacio Rodriguez Larreta, said River Plate hooligans described as the "mafia of Argentine soccer" were behind the attack. It came a day after police raided the house of a leader of the Barra Brava - the powerful and violent wing of River's hardcore support - and confiscated 10m pesos (£207,285) and 300 tickets for the final.

Paraguay, Brazil and Italy have all offered to hold the match.

On Monday, the city government of Genoa wrote to both clubs offering to host the postponed match because of the role immigrants from the Italian city played in forming the two Argentine clubs.
Madrid, Spain - December 9th

Copa COLONIZADORES de América

Conmebol is ruled by cowards, and the situation of soccer in Argentina seems to be beyond salvation.

The only solution: :p
View attachment 588481

As you are aware GP, 1992 is catching the plane home next Saturday, so any help in delaying the Noah's Ark type flood many South Americans are probably wishing upon the Argies, until after December 8 will be very much appreciated. ;)

Last edited:
River Plate have said they will not play a “home” game in Spain
The first leg ended up in a tie, from 2019 onwards the Final will already be a single match, and River's barrackers are responsible for this mess.

I believe Conmebol is simply ignoring the game at Boca Jrs., taking the match away from River, and considering this as an isolated event at a neutral ground.

Gre-Nal #418:
Grêmio 1-0 Internacional

R10 (of 11), both teams were already qualified for the Finals and playing their reserves. Still, more than 45k people went to the game.

Here is the highlights:

----
RussellEbertHandball ; El Zorro

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- ARGENTINA -

Argentine Superliga is in for a tight finish among two somewhat surprising teams. With two rounds to go, the contenders are Racing (1st, 55) and Defensa y Justicia (2nd, 51). Last season, they have finished in 7th and 9th, respectively.

If Racing wins in the weekend (away, Tigres - 12th, 32) or has an equal or better result than DyJ (home, Unión - 7th, 34), they will be crowned champions. Otherwise, both teams will decide the title against each other, in the last round, in Avellaneda (Racing's home).

Racing is one of the Big-5, has 17 national titles, but it has a recent histpry of struggle. Its last three national titles were in 1966, 2001, and 2014. The club avoided bankruptcy in the 1990's. It seems to be back to its contending days.

Defensa y Justicia is a minnow from Florencio Varella (a small town not far from Avellaneda) who have mostly played in the second division. It has been among the top teams since 2016, having qualified to three consecutive Copa Sul-Americana (Conmebol's equivalent to UEFA's Liga Europa).

----

- ARGENTINA -

Argentine Superliga is in for a tight finish among two somewhat surprising teams. With two rounds to go, the contenders are Racing (1st, 55) and Defensa y Justicia (2nd, 51). Last season, they have finished in 7th and 9th, respectively.

----
I know Racing is one of the famous old big Buenos Aires clubs and know they were successful many years ago, but with out much success the last 40 years or so, but I know nothing about Defensa y Justicia.

In the 26 team league do they only play 25 games?

I know Racing is one of the famous old big Buenos Aires clubs and know they were successful many years ago, but with out much success the last 40 years or so, but I know nothing about Defensa y Justicia.

In the 26 team league do they only play 25 games?
Only 25 games.

Yes, but with the A's actually playing it.
So how many games does that mean a player could play in, in one year to win the national league title as well as state league title??

I know there are all the national and international cup games Gremio play in but ignore those for this question.

So how many games does that mean a player could play in, in one year to win the national league title as well as state league title??

I know there are all the national and international cup games Gremio play in but ignore those for this question.
55 (17+38)

I’ll be in Brazil in June - going to Chile v Uruguay and a QF of the Copa Libertadores in Rio. Also heading to Cuiaba and the Pantanal and southern Amazon. Hit me up Gremio if you’d like to catch up.
I will check with my wife. Let's see what we can do. It would be great.

I will check with my wife. Let's see what we can do. It would be great.

I just googled Porto Alegre - you are a long long way from Rio and especially Cuiaba!

I mean the Copa America not the Copa Libertadores btw.

I just googled Porto Alegre - you are a long long way from Rio and especially Cuiaba!

I mean the Copa America not the Copa Libertadores btw.
And I am in Uruguayana, which is 400 miles from Porto Alegre. I was thinking in watching a game or two at Grêmio's Arena, but I haven't planned anything yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back