Player Watch Brayden Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

He does the Indian head wobble as he's running, and always looks really gassed. Have spotted him several times just looking disinterested in repeat gut-running efforts until he gets a rocket at the break. Needs a stint in the SANFL

Why?

Some players benefit from learning their craft in the 2s, some don’t.

Cook to me strikes me as the kind of guy who will drift a bit if he plays SANFL.

Usually played forward pocket, need to be played up on the wing more but agree he needs to find it more, I have confidence he can and the quality makes it worth it
It's not that we haven't tried that. He played a lot more on the wing early in the season and prior to this year but he couldn't get his hands on the ball enough. I would like to see him make a wing his own but that doesn't seem likely at least for now. As a low possession but high impact player, the forward line suits him best at the moment.

So he drifts in the SANFL (which he was) and then drifts in the seniors, so we keep picking him in the seniors?
He's our 6th highest goal kicker and 4th for disposal efficency.
He needs to play, if you take stock in ratings he was higher rated with 7 disposals than Murphy with 16 on the weekend.

Cook is one of those players thats 100% wasted at SANFL level. He has extremely high footy IQ and is so good when he has the ball in his hands.

He is worth persisting with - and is the type of player that would excel in a really good team.

The issue is that he just doesn't get the ball enough. 8 of his 11 games he has touched it 9 times or less. Thats okay in 2 of the 8 games where he kicks 2+ goals, but the other 6 are just not acceptable.

Get a good enough team around him and he is best 22 every day and can win you a final single handidly. Keep Nicks and be a side that sits 10-14 and we may as well delist.

So he drifts in the SANFL (which he was) and then drifts in the seniors, so we keep picking him in the seniors?

What I mean is his current ability level is good enough for SANFL, and he is the kind of player who needs to be tested.

I think we are seeing him perform better, and that continually challenging him at AFL level is the best way to develop him.

yeah fair enough, still the 6th best forward at this point.
Absolutely needs to get more involved but people seem to forget he's playing deep forward most of the time.
There is also people on here thinking we should have cook completely off the team but keep murphy in the team/ sub.

Bananas!!

At this rate we might as well play Murphy, Ned, Laird and Smith in the middle.

We should be rotating him between the forward line & wing, even half back... encouraging others to get the ball in his hands like the Swans do with Blakey.

Problem is our coaching group do nothing when we have players who are quiet to bring them into the game... particularly forwards when then ball rarely makes it into out inside 50m.

We need more highly skilled impact player in our side & less headless chooks who apparently offer shape, whatever the **** that is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cook does a few little things every game that don't necessarily show up in the stat sheet (a tap to an open teammate, a change of pace/direction to create space, etc) but makes it obvious he is a level above the fringe types. Just needs to find a way to get more involved and he'll be a real asset.

We should be rotating him between the forward line & wing, even half back... encouraging others to get the ball in his hands like the Swans do with Blakey.

Problem is our coaching group do nothing when we have players who are quiet to bring them into the game... particularly forwards when then ball rarely makes it into out inside 50m.

We need more highly skilled impact player in our side & less headless chooks who apparently offer shape, whatever the **** that is.
Did you miss the game?

Cook was rotated between the forward line and the wing against GWS. He played most of the third quarter on the wing. He racked up 4 of his 7 disposals in the last 10 minutes of the third quarter playing on the wing. In his first 60 minutes he had three touches, playing mostly forward but also a significant amount of time on the wing.

Is he a McAdam replacement? After 2 contested marks in his first game this year against Melbourne, he has taken two contested marks in the following 10 games.

In 2022 he played 10 games and averaged just over 10 disposals a game. In his 11 games this year he has averaged 9 disposals a game.

Five of his 12 goals have come against the witches hats (Eagles and Kangas).

But, but, but it’s the Vibe.

Stats & ratings aside, the naked eye says the kid can do things that a lot of our list can't (like kick to a teammate). Given the season's a wash, I'm not really fussed if he gets low possessions but he should be playing every week; the sooner he gets to 50 games, the better. But we shouldn't be just leaving him to flounder in a forward pocket, get him involved, play him in some different spots. Was odd to see him get some quality touches late in the 3rd quarter last week and get subbed off - although I guess we're getting used to such strange sub decisions - but the idea was right to get him up the field and into the play. Have a look at him at half back where his kicking skills can shine or even a run on the ball. Nothing to lose and everything to gain at this stage.

Did you miss the game?

Cook was rotated between the forward line and the wing against GWS. He played most of the third quarter on the wing. He racked up 4 of his 7 disposals in the last 10 minutes of the third quarter playing on the wing. In his first 60 minutes he had three touches, playing mostly forward but also a significant amount of time on the wing.

Is he a McAdam replacement? After 2 contested marks in his first game this year against Melbourne, he has taken two contested marks in the following 10 games.

In 2022 he played 10 games and averaged just over 10 disposals a game. In his 11 games this year he has averaged 9 disposals a game.

Five of his 12 goals have come against the witches hats (Eagles and Kangas).

But, but, but it’s the Vibe.
Yes, I made it clear I missed the last game & watched on TV. Was no secret!

I have attended most games this year & the vast majority of time Cook has played deep forward.

My point for any player who is quiet stuck in the forward line should be played further up the ground. Same issue with Thilthorpe last year.

Our coaches lack imagination to bring players into the game.

I’d hoped he’d be able to replace MacAdam this year as a deeper forward, he doesn’t have the exact skill set but he does have other qualities that will thought would translate, but ultimately he doesn’t quite work in that role.

What he does have is high skill level and decision making ability, so I’d love to see them push him higher up the ground as a Wing/HF and get him involved in the game at every opportunity.

I’d give him a block of games in the role ahead of Jones/Murphy and see how he does.

Could he play half back? Forces him to be in the contest, he’s got the run, leg and decision making to be valuable in an attacking sense. It’s just whether he’s hard enough to be able to defend.

He played half back in his one game last year against melbourne didnt he? and looked pretty good before being dropped. I like it if we can fit him in

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He played half back in his one game last year against melbourne didnt he? and looked pretty good before being dropped. I like it if we can fit him in

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No, he was wing a bit (and deep forward) and worked back, but wasn’t half back

Could he play half back? Forces him to be in the contest, he’s got the run, leg and decision making to be valuable in an attacking sense. It’s just whether he’s hard enough to be able to defend.
Before the 6-6-6 rule I think he could do a role like that where he’d be able to run around without an opponent, but I don’t think he’s strong enough defensively to play HB now.

Yes, I made it clear I missed the last game & watched on TV. Was no secret!

I have attended most games this year & the vast majority of time Cook has played deep forward.

My point for any player who is quiet stuck in the forward line should be played further up the ground. Same issue with Thilthorpe last year.

Our coaches lack imagination to bring players into the game.
Giving one player an opportunity by playing them up the ground robs the player that they replace of further opportunity.

The best opportunities should go to those that most demand them. Unfortunately, Cook isn't currently one of those.

But those not demanding the best opportunities should be given the coaching and demands that would see them earn a better opportunity.

Cook has a heap of upside in him, but it looks like a lack of hunger rather than a lack of opportunity holding him back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back