Breaking News:Cousins Officially Deregistered from the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and is this retrospective? or did he do something to 'bring the game into disrepute' just recently? As far as we're aware the only thing on public record is that he refused a blood test.
'Bringing the game into disrepute' is discretionary on the AFL's part - They don't have to wait for confirmed convictions or charges.

By being associated with the game, Ben Cousins, through his actions, has caused the general public to think less of the AFL and the sport of Australian Rules Football - That is bringing the game into disrepute.

Whether he is charged, convicted, or even actually innocent of what has been levelled against him is irrelevant - He has brought down public opinion of the league and sport in a way that wouldn't have occurred had he not been an AFL football player.

Nothing about deregistering him. That happend automaticly when the Eagles delisted him
I would think that it was probably that the AFL will not accept his nomination for the draft, meaning that he will REMAIN deregistered.

'Bringing the game into disrepute' is discretionary on the AFL's part - They don't have to wait for confirmed convictions or charges.

By being associated with the game, Ben Cousins, through his actions, has caused the general public to think less of the AFL and the sport of Australian Rules Football - That is bringing the game into disrepute.

Whether he is charged, convicted, or even actually innocent of what has been levelled against him is irrelevant - He has brought down public opinion of the league and sport in a way that wouldn't have occurred had he not been an AFL football player.

I would think that it was probably that the AFL will not accept his nomination for the draft, meaning that he will REMAIN deregistered.
Not having a go at you personally but that is the single biggest pile of horse shit I have heard in a very long time.

Charged only bringing the game into disrepute. Hearing November 19. Wonder what chance of a fair hearing?

When you look at it (technically of course), he has no criminal convictions, hasn't tested positive and is up on a traffic offence, which he might yet get off. And what happens if he gets off that, the AFL technically have nothing since they allowed him to play again in Round 16 given his past. I know he's at a drug rehab place in the USA (when he actually gets there) so, being technical again, how many strikes does that give him under the 3 strikes rule.

Cousins was going to be automatically deregistered once he was delisted by WC.

That is nothing new. That is not "breaking news"

The new development is that the AFL has decided to charge Cousins with bringing the game into disrepute.

That is such a wishy-washy charge, but I guess that's the idea. If it's totally ambiguous, then it's harder to contest. Cousins was all set to play in 2008 until he was arrested last month. I don't see how that changed anything, seeing as the drugs charges were subsequently dropped.

The AFL is sending the message that negative publicity is more significant than the reality of whether someone has actually done anything wrong.

This is from AAP wires:

AFL: Cousins charged with bringing game into disrepute AFL Cousins
MELBOURNE, Nov 2 AAP - The AFL has charged fallen West Coast star Ben Cousins with bringing the game into disrepute.
The AFL Commission made the decision at a meeting this afternoon, league chief executive Andrew Demetriou said in a statement.
Demetriou had written to Cousins to advise him of the charge, he said.
He said Cousins' father Bryan and manager Ricky Nixon were contacted late today to advise them of the charge.
A hearing is scheduled for November 19 at AFL headquarters in Melbourne to decide the charge.
Cousins has the right to appear at the hearing in person, via video conference or have someone appear on his behalf, the AFL said.
Cousins was sacked by the Eagles last month after being arrested and charged with drug offences, although one of the two charges against him was subsequently dropped.
Bryan Cousins said yesterday his son was currently receiving treatment in Los Angeles at an appropriate facility, and would be attending rehabilitation centre The Summit Medical Centre in the next few days.

Not having a go at you personally but that is the single biggest pile of horse shit I have heard in a very long time.

Actually, read through it and you will see that your reply is the single biggest pile of horse shit you've herad in a very long time.

Everything he wrote was absolutely spot on.
He has embarrassed the game through his actions; whether or not various entities inside the AFL have failed him is irrelevant.

Through his own actions, he has bought disgrace and embarrassment onto the West Coast Eagles and the AFL, and they are well within their power to charge him with bringing the game into disrepute.
Let's get serious, with the noises Demetriou has been making the past week or two, did anyone ever really think they would let him play next year?

I have a feel for WHY the AFL is doing this, but as usual it's selective on their part. They could invoke this on anyone really - Didak this year? Fev last year in Ireland - bullsh1t rule to use when they feel like it.

Actually, read through it and you will see that your reply is the single biggest pile of horse shit you've herad in a very long time.

Everything he wrote was absolutely spot on.
He has embarrassed the game through his actions; whether or not various entities inside the AFL have failed him is irrelevant.

Through his own actions, he has bought disgrace and embarrassment onto the West Coast Eagles and the AFL, and they are well within their power to charge him with bringing the game into disrepute.
Let's get serious, with the noises Demetriou has been making the past week or two, did anyone ever really think they would let him play next year?
I wasn't having a personal crack at him, it's just a big cop out and I'm clearly not the only one that thinks that....sheesh mate, take it easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Breaking News:Cousins Officially Deregistered from the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back