edit_preview.php

Twitter

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2010: 15th (18.5 votes)
2011: -

Coaches' votes:

Re: Brendan Fevola #2

Link

Amid rumours of a player-rift that saw the controversial Fevola ignored in attack against Geelong, Voss has continued to lend his support to his besieged playing group, which has not won at home since May, and called for Fev to be given a fair go.

"I think it's time to draw a line in the sand and say Fev's part of the team and we need to stop singling him out," Voss said.

"From my end, we've got to be able to make sure we support all of our players."

"I understand there's focus on him, but from our end he's part of our group and that's all I'm concerned about," said Voss.

fevola110.jpg

Link

Alex Fevola has confirmed she has split from her hubby, Brisbane Lions full-forward Brendan. The Dancing With the Stars contestant told Triple M's The Cage that they're maintaining a good friendship for their three children. Asked about a possible reconciliation she said: "I really don't know, we're taking every day as it comes."

Pundits claim the long-distance relationship between Fev and his wife has been a key component to his recent poor form. And it’s fair to say Fev’s popularity with Brisbane fans has nosedived since his much-hyped move to BrisVegas last October.

fevola111.jpg

Julian De Stoop

The Lions have got some real problems for the rest of this season and beyond, Brendan Fevola is probably the biggest one. He'll be tested by the young, hard-running Demons on Saturday night, too. Would I drop Fev or rest him? No way. He's on big money and should work his way out of this form slump.

fevola47.jpg

Matthew Lloyd

At the other end of the spectrum, I still strongly believe the trade of Brendan Fevola from Carlton to Brisbane Lions wasn't a bad one and was worth the risk. His goal return of three a match is more than respectable. It's his body language and lack of effort at times that is killing him. The Lions have been criticised not only for recruiting Fevola but for losing Daniel Bradshaw in the process. What has been lost in the debate is that Bradshaw has played only a handful of games for Sydney. The knee injury that concerned Brisbane has again been an issue at Sydney. Fevola has been inconsistent, but his output has been better than Bradshaw's.

fevola105.jpg

Cracker's Keenan

The Lions were supposed to dominate once Fevola was paired with Lions' powerhouse Jonathan Brown but having the best two key forwards of recent years in the one team has meant little this season. That is because Fevola appears to be playing injured and has also been again resorting to the poor body language, which ultimately contributed to his departure from the Blues, and there must be serious doubts now as to his longevity in the game.

fevola101.jpg

Link

The Lions have more injury worries with Brendan Fevola having scans on Monday on an injured groin.

Voss said the injury was not related to a groin complaint Fevola has battled for much of the season.

“He was completely in a full bill of health but he obviously tweaked his groin on the weekend," Voss said.

Fevola will miss at least one week, making way for the return of Aaron Cornelius at full forward.

Match Review Panel

Brisbane Lion Brendan Fevola has capped off a miserable week by being offered a $4000 fine for putting Melbourne’s Colin Garland in a headlock during the first quarter of Saturday night’s match at the Gabba.

The incident, which has been labelled as misconduct, was the subject of an investigation on Monday afternoon.

The penalty was decided after the tabling of a report from the Demons’ club doctor, which stated Garland had not suffered an injury.

At least Carlton are paying a percentage of his fine. :p

Out for the rest of the season with a groin tear according to the Lions website. Woohoo. Enter Aaron Cornelius.:)

Out for the rest of the season with a groin tear according to the Lions website.

How convenient.

Didn't take long to get to Fev thread #2. I like the symmetry of its start coinciding with Fev's first season at the Lions coming to an end.

Link

Brendan Fevola, Brisbane Lions, has accepted a $3000 sanction for misconduct in that he held Colin Garland, Melbourne, in a headlock during the first quarter of the Round 18 match between the Brisbane Lions and Melbourne, played at the Gbba on Saturday July 31, 2010.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did Barry Hall end up getting earlier in the year? Can't remember if he got fined but he must have surely!

Barry Hall got the same penalty.

Link

Barry Hall, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with misconduct in that he held Scott Thompson, North Melbourne, in a headlock during the second quarter of the Round Nine match of the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne, played at Etihad Stadium on Saturday May 22, 2010.

The match review panel determined a sanction of $4000. In summary, he can accept a $3000 sanction with an early plea. The charge was laid under the misconduct provisions in the Table of Offences, whereby the Match Review Panel can impose a financial sanction for a misconduct offence that is not classified under the table. The Match Review Panel took into account the medical report on player Thompson and the relevant footage in determining a charge of rough conduct was not appropriate in the circumstances of this case.

Adrian Fletcher

"We haven't decided on that (Fevola's movements) but I reckon he'll probably stay around for a while to make sure he gets his rehab right, and then basically what players do when it's the end of the season is they freshen themselves up," Fletcher said. "If that means going back to Melbourne to see his young family, we've got to be understanding in that concern. He'll freshen up and come back for the pre-season."

"He still kicked 48 goals for us. It sets him up for next year. He's going to get fit and ready to go. I think he has been a great acquisition to our forward line," he said. "I think once we get the ball speed quicker, he'll be a better player next year."

fevola55.jpg

He has had a mixed year has Fev. He started very well, and then after round 4 both him and Brown seemed to get injuries and niether has been the same since. I have had no problem with his defensive efforts, especially for a guy who is out of shape from lack of training and carrying niggles. He just needs to work harder on his leads, but the form of our midfield has made that a very tough job this year.

Also i think with Brown still not perfect and not playing right up high, he doesn't have the room behind Brown to do his nice 20-30m leads. Start of the year, Brown was working up the field and getting marks 60-70m out and then kicking into Fev inside the 50, and this worked a treat. We haven't been able to get that back.

He is a match winner on his day, has had a horrible run this year, in a team way down on performance and still got 48 goals. Im still liking having him in the team.

All this speculation about Fev going back to Melbourne is just that- speculation. Let's face it, this would require a Melbourne club willing to take him on, and that would be by definition one desperately needing a full forward. And a club with the dough to cough up the huge readies involved.And one willing to put up with all the associated media crap.

Name one club in this position, because I'm buggered if I can think of one.

The reality is that, like a bad marriage, we are stuck with Fev, and Fev is stuck with us.

In the post-season, Voss must make this perfectly plain to Fev. If he wants to continue as a full-time pro, then this will be in Brisbane. Some of the stuff he has delivered, not all by any means, has not been of the required standard. Get fit, real fit. Get back to Fev at his top. Nothing else is acceptable.

Outside football, a career for Fev in the media is not a possibility: the best he can hope for is an assistant coach's job somewhere. Forget $700 large, this is not a future financial possibility. He has at best maybe 2 years to continue at the top- maybe!! Make the most of it.

I think fitness has been his biggest problem, like Brown. This groin injury is probably a build up from playing all year with injury and not being fit enough. Like Brown he was fine at the start of the year, but it all went pair shaped. This also comes back to the medical and coaching staff. We need to have 22 fit players playing next year. Brown playing with a niggle is fine, but not full injuries. Same with Fev, let's use Acorn and Clark and keep the 2 big guys fit. If they can't train and keep match fitness, there is no point playing them.

Fevola books in for surgery
By Ben Broad
2:45 PM Wed 04 August, 2010

On Wednesday the former Blue told the world - via Twitter - he would go under the knife later in the week. “Off to Sydney tomorrow for an operation on the groins,” Fevola wrote.

The Lions later confirmed the burly forward was heading to Sydney for surgery and Fevola’s manager, Mark Kleiman of Velocity Sports, said his man was determined to be ready for day one of pre-season training.

“I don’t think it’s [the surgery] anything out of the ordinary,” Kleiman told afl.com.au. “He just rang me and said ‘Look, I’ve got to go and have surgery and then I’ll be right to go for the start of pre-season’.”

fevola63.jpg

Quentin Hull

Any new player in a team takes time to adapt and Fevola still averaged 2.8 goals a game, while carrying injury in a struggling team, which is comparable to his career average of three goals a game. He needs to be better next year, but so do most of his team-mates, but should not be personally criticised because of the list strategy mistake Brisbane made by recruiting him.

What does deserve serious debate is the opportunity cost of Fevola's recruitment. He came with a big price tag from his previous contract at Carlton and, combined with Jonathan Brown's hefty salary, the pair claim a massive slice of Brisbane's permitted spending. My deduction is that the engine room has been poorer for it.

fevola61.jpg

Tony Kelly

Questioned about the investment in Fevola (three years at an estimated $2.1m), he said he wouldn't comment on players individually. "At the end of the year, it will say 48 goals for Fev. The return in goalkicking terms is disappointing, but round the club he's been very personable and fitted in as part of the group," he said.

fevola115.jpg

Mark Robinson

It hasn't panned out as he, or Vossy, hoped. In fact, most people outside the club say it's a trade bust. To be fair, his season was ruined by injury, but it's yet another reason/excuse/situation that has tagged him in recent years. He needs to get himself fit, for starters and be more agile, for this game won't wait for anyone.

fevola117.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Brendan Fevola #2 (2010-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back