Past Brendan Fevola #2 (2010-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Brendan Fevola #2

Link to article

A member of Brisbane's strength and conditioning staff met with the 30-year-old on Saturday for a private training session but Fevola's future at the Gabba is still uncertain. The club will decide his fate once he has completed rehabilitation.

He is there on his own will, has been for the best part of 2 months. If there is nothing more he can get out of physically being in the clinic, then he very well might be better off leaving and getting back into training. He is someone that loves footy and wants to play, so the training is going to give him something to focus on while he continues his treatment on the outside.

We are prepared to play without him, and i think with Clark ready to play FF, we don't need Fev. He is better off, taking his time, getting his body slowly and carefully back into shape so he doesn't injury himself training (remembering he is coming back from some foot and groin issues). He can play a few games in the reserves, get some touch back, then look to return maybe after the first bye week or a bit after.

Link to article

D-DAY looms for Brendan Fevola and the Brisbane Lions with a decision expected on whether he will play this season. The troubled forward and his manager Alastair Lynch plan to meet coach Michael Voss in the "next few days". Lynch said he was unsure of Brisbane's intentions and wasn't aware if Fevola would be subject to stringent key performance indicators if he played on.
A positive for Fevola, a long-time embarrassment for the AFL, is the understanding the league would not stop him playing if the Lions give him the green light.

My problem with this is that, Fevola and his mental health issues aside, his manager Alastair Lynch states that:

..... he was unsure of Brisbane's intentions and wasn't aware if Fevola would be subject to stringent key performance indicators if he played on. "I know they are weighing up a number of things and I'm not sure if they have formed an opinion," Lynch said. "In the next few days it will be very clear what will be the next step."

and

"All the meetings I've had with the Lions ... and the Lions have been fantastic with the way they've been concerned with the health and well-being of Brendan, but our discussions for the most part have been about making sure he's all right," Lynch said.

Alastair Lynch is the brother of Manny Lynch who just happens to work in the Lions' Football Development Section as the Head of Welfare/Leadership and Culture. So he is hardly going to be critical of the way they have handled Fevola's health and well-being.

Also, Manny Lynch's views and judgement on whether Fevola should be welcomed back to the Lions and on what terms may well be compromised by his realtionship with his brother.

This does not sit right with me or is it just me? I think Fevola's player manager would have a fair idea of what the Lions are thinking.

I think Lynch knows a lot about what goes on at the club still. When he's commentating on the lions games he will say what the coaches think of a certain player and its obvious he has some inside information. It's not a good position for Lynch to be in say if the Lions decided to sack Fev (Which won't happen) then he would be involved with suing the lions for unfair dismissal.

Reading to much into simply articles. The club will decide if and when they want him back. Im sure they haven't had huge discussions with Alastair about it as of yet. He still has a court case to deal with, im sure the club will wait until that is resolved before making a final judgement.

Link to article

D-DAY looms for Brendan Fevola and the Brisbane Lions with a decision expected on whether he will play this season. The troubled forward and his manager Alastair Lynch plan to meet coach Michael Voss in the "next few days".

Link

Voss, who was unaware of any date for the meeting, said it was still too early to tell if Fevola would be given the green light to resume training with the Lions afterwards.

"Like everybody else, a decision has got to be made and hopefully over the coming weeks we'll be able to do that."

Link to article

BRENDAN Fevola's future at the Brisbane Lions will be taken out of the hands of coach Michael Voss and discussed at a board meeting next week. The board must decide what carries the biggest price - Fevola staying and potentially damaging the club culture, or an estimated $1.5 million severance payout and associated salary cap pain.
An AFL spokesman yesterday confirmed that any payout to Fevola if he is cut loose would count under the salary cap.

Lynch said Fevola would remain in care until he knew whether or not he had a future with the Lions

I would have thought the decision to stay in care should be based on whether he needs it, not whether the Lions sack him.

I would have thought the decision to stay in care should be based on whether he needs it, not whether the Lions sack him.

I see it as a safety valve for Fevola, keeping him away from prying media etc.
If the Wilson story is correct, could the Lions use it as a lever to renegotiate his contract?

I'm not a Fev apologist, I wasn't pro his recruitment, but if we have to pay the bucks I'd like see some return for the favour, though at the same time I'd rather Mitch playing along side Browny. :confused:

Having witnessed a number of people close to me suffer from a spate of mental illnesses, i.e. depression, psychosis etc. There's nothing worse than suffering from a relapse.

Footy is his life and he had hoped to get back into it. Devastating news (for him) if he gets sacked... and not something one would want to hear when still in the recovery stages. Checking him back into care is to make sure he takes the news well...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need flair ... so we need Brendan Fevola
  • Mark Stevens
  • February 18, 2011 11:00PM
YOU don't know what you've got until it's gone. If you're one of a growing band of fans wanting to see Brendan Fevola's backside waddle off into the sunset, think about an AFL without unpredictable showmen.

Fevola's off-field record is indefensible, but the on-field stuff should be celebrated - and preserved at all costs. Rumours continued to swirl yesterday that the AFL wants Fevola out and Lions are happy to oblige.
Every fan who pays to watch flair, pure skill and a touch of larrikin should be hoping like hell the rumours are wrong.

Alistair Lynch

"He (Fevola) won't come out until we have a reasonably clear path on what he is going to be doing," Lynch said yesterday.
"It is something we are very conscious of.
"He will remain there until we can put the appropriate structures in place to support him.
"We can't put those structures in place until we know what his future holds.
"We do have plans in place for Brendan but until we find out what the club's decision is, we can't do anything.
"We are in limbo."

Michael Voss

BRISBANE Lions coach Michael Voss says talent will play no part in the decision on whether or not to axe troubled forward Brendan Fevola.

''It's not about whether he works well with (Brisbane captain) Jonathan Brown or whether we've kicked goals or we haven't, it's not about what skill component he brings or his talent he brings.

''We've seen over a point in time that that's been unquestioned about what talent he has, but it's much more complex than that.''

Yeh that sounds like Voss, why would you keep him on talent alone, oh wait thats right...because hes the best full forward in the league and we cant kick more than 12 goals a game. Seriously what is it with them, they stick by him through all this, then he goes off to the clinic to get better and now they chop him. Old Fev just cant win.

Link to article

Sources close to Fevola say he would consider suing the Lions for the remaining two years of his contract.

The club would be looking to split the $1.9 million - not $1.5 million as has been reported - over two years but Fevola wants it paid immediately.

:rolleyes:

Link to article

The Lions are now expected to part ways with the two-time Coleman medallist and settle with payment of at least $1.2 million and potentially up to $1.5 million.

I'm guessing that the $1.2 million figure represents his base salary, minus match payments and any other incentive payments built into his contract.

1.2 isn't bad, probably got nearly 1 covered this year. If so it means we can just about be square again next year.

$600K/yr is still ~7.3% of the salary cap. Effectively the Lions would be locked into only being able to pay the minimum allowable salary cap to the rest of their list for two years.

So we have a potential payout of between $1.2m and $1.9m.

It is all guess work, but I would also assume that the $1.2m figure is base salary. The $1.9m figure from the Herald Sun attributed to sources close to Fev must include the maximum possible bonuses (which there is no way he will be getting). The widely used $1.5m figure is probably what the media thinks is 'the likely payout' as somewhere in between those two extremes.

It has also been widely reported that Fev is on $900k this year.

A $1.2m payout with $900k this year, would ensure minimal salary cap impact on the Lions in 2012.

Again it is all just educated guess work.

I personally would rather we kept Fev on by all parties agreeing to renegotiate his contract, but it seems that won't be the case.

However, I think Fev is dreaming if he thinks he will win a court battle to get all the money paid up front, or if he thinks he will get all of the possible bonuses. IMO he would be lucky to just end up with his base salary given the Lions potentially have the ability to sack him for nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Brendan Fevola #2 (2010-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back