Bumped Brenden Abbott

Remove this Banner Ad

Mesmerising hands. Handballs look a little average, but he's a one touch player with explosive speed, composure and a very decent kick.
Wow this guy looks like a great pickup.
No idea what his tank is like but he looks built enough to walk straight in to senior footy if given the chance.
Has a real flair and toughness about him, great kick, takes the game on, just looks like a clean handed, skilled and composed, mature player, great grab for such a late junk rookie pick. Not sure how he slipped through. Well done to Hine and team he could turn out to be our best pick.

Do you mean best value pick or a better than our 2 top ten picks. If he turns out to be a better player than Moore, we'll have one hell of a footballer. Without injury I'd bet my house on Darcy emerging as an elite player.

This just in, Christ_JM and DrDavoren prefer hard ***** over soft.

:p

I wasn't going to mention it, but Maynard is the pick that brings memories of Pants flooding back.

Agree - Seeing Maynard say he is a Protractor on the Footy Field, Who Stands up for his Teammates and Makes players around him, Stand Taller.

Seems he could play on the Wing like Pants

Agree - Seeing Maynard say he is a Protractor on the Footy Field, Who Stands up for his Teammates and Makes players around him, Stand Taller.
5f46f77ba648cdc15b22766b1aec2b32bbeacf910945728b33303e0055b4720d.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems he could play on the Wing like Pants

It's not just that, Dave. It's also his physical size, intimidatory play and the way he carries himself on the the football field.

“I was up at about 7am with another Claremont bloke and we were at the gym and met the skipper there.

“Because I don’t have any credit I couldn’t even watch it if I wanted to.

“I just did what I was going to do and then I got home and got onto the WiFi and the next thing I know my phone had exploded, and I was like, wow.”

Those trying to get in touch were McGuire, coach Nathan Buckley and fellow West Australians Jonathon Marsh and Jackson Ramsay as well as an old friend from his hometown, Marley Williams.

“I just loved the way they went about it,” he said of Collingwood.

“Everyone seems to hate them but that’s what I loved about them, they’re the underdogs and when they’re on top everyone wants to knock them off.

“It’s such a good culture to be around, especially when they’re performing and have still got all those pressures on them.

“It’s been good to watch from the sidelines, or on the TV anyway.”

He’ll be getting a much closer look at things from next week onwards.

He has Cult Hero written all over him

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-12-04/an-unexpected-call-from-the-prez

First risk after drafting a "clean culture." Heath Shaw would be jealous of his selection.

Not sure what comparison you are trying to draw here. Heath became unmanageable in his football context, on field and off, playing, training, meetings. He was disruptive and not working for his club while at work. Although he had issues in his time away from the club at times in his career, I didnt think any of these were why he in the end had to go. He had stopped following orders, bluntly, and was trying to get others to do the same.

Nothing Ive seen suggests thats what we are dealing with here. Again.

Have played a bit of footy and cricket against him and doubt I've come across a more aggressive competitor. Significantly bigger and stronger than his contemporaries, so there was a line of thought that his dominance came from his size - but wouldn't worry about this at all given that being a country kid has played most of his life against men and had a bloody solid year in the WAFL.

Shame to see some off the bullshit about him being perpetuated - can assure you that these questions of his character came about because he kept his mother's condition quiet last year leading to speculation (which sadly still is spread throughout bigfooty/uninformed media despite now being explained). Fitness is the most likely factor to inhibit his progress, would really surprise me if he ever could get it to a level that's capable of a midfield role in the AFL but I am very pleased that he has got the chance.

Have played a bit of footy and cricket against him and doubt I've come across a more aggressive competitor. Significantly bigger and stronger than his contemporaries, so there was a line of thought that his dominance came from his size - but wouldn't worry about this at all given that being a country kid has played most of his life against men and had a bloody solid year in the WAFL.

Shame to see some off the bullshit about him being perpetuated - can assure you that these questions of his character came about because he kept his mother's condition quiet last year leading to speculation (which sadly still is spread throughout bigfooty/uninformed media despite now being explained). Fitness is the most likely factor to inhibit his progress, would really surprise me if he ever could get it to a level that's capable of a midfield role in the AFL but I am very pleased that he has got the chance.

So -Teams where worried that he Lied or did not tell anyone about his Mother Sickness?

Well, No One would Blame him for doing what he did. Anyone in that Situation would of done the same

In fairness to TG Abbott is a risk in terms of professionalism. Last time he was tested he ran an 8.11 beep and his skin folds would be through the roof!

Shaw was suspended mid year for his skin folds in 2012 or 2013 and has never been what you would call a "professional" athlete.

I'm not sure TG was going down that track, but if that was the reasoning it makes sense to me.

So -Teams where worried that he Lied or did not tell anyone about his Mother Sickness?

Well, No One would Blame him for doing what he did. Anyone in that Situation would of done the same
then again beams went to the usa for a benda with friends in the offseason ;) ;)

In fairness to TG Abbott is a risk in terms of professionalism. Last time he was tested he ran an 8.11 beep and his skin folds would be through the roof!

Shaw was suspended mid year for his skin folds in 2012 or 2013 and has never been what you would call a "professional" athlete.

I'm not sure TG was going down that track, but if that was the reasoning it makes sense to me.
I would say THE BIG SHOW has been one of those kids who has just survived on natural talent in sport and being bigger and stronger than most so i just see upside in him actually having a proper training program.:)

Great pick up for you guys. Minus his great physical attributes his long kicking is a thing of beauty. Can roost it 55-60 m with ease and it's hard flat and very accurate infact I reckon he could match bungas kicking with practise it's elite

A bit of topic, but I have a question - Does it take much to adjust from playing with a Burley to playing with a Sherrin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped Brenden Abbott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back