Brent Prismall interview - 774

Remove this Banner Ad

Everybody lauds Whateley, but he never asks the obvious, and very necessary, follow up questions.
Quite a few think he has integrity but he is a shrinking violet who seems to be too afraid to ask the obvious continuation question. His explanation about AOD-9064 was Robboesque.

Very, very good interview. Pris sounded crushed and it's how long after the verdict now? Was good to hear another insight from a player. Very disappointing the club hasn't done more for the other players like Pris.

It could have been a very good interview, but it wasn't. Once again, the followup questions that would give the answers are shirked. In the end, it's just someone blaming someone else, again.

Lot's of shades of grey.

From his dialog. He had asked what he was being given, claims to have been told it was either Amino acids or vitamins at the time. Accepts that Dank no doubt had TB4. The powers that be found that he had doped and he accepts their findings, accepts that he could have been given banned substances.

I can see his view point on the "I personally don't feel I did anything wrong" angle, if he asked what was given, yet given different stuff to what he was being told. But with the signed forms on thymosin - well, that doesn't infer amino acids or vitamins. Equally, the omissions on the doping control forms is a bit contrary.

Seems like he's accepted his liability, but not his role (didn't poke further for information and voluntarily took part when he didn't know what he was getting). His personal role is still probably influenced by a fair bit of group think, which does cloud judgement, people hold aloft poisonous snakes and think they should be safe in Americas more wacky churches based on group think.

This is as close to any public acceptance of both the findings and that what went on was wrong as we've had, so good on him.

{postscript} I think the strongest thing he say's in accepting his liability is that he would love it if he could not get the injections, but he has and has to deal with the repercussions.

Last edited:

Prismall was good and directly blamed Hird and EFC for all this but stopped short and stumbled over his words when asked whether he should share some of the blame himself. Also very vague when asked why every player on the list made the same accidental omission on the forms.

Just confirms that WADA made the absolutely correct decision.

With the doping control forms. Not stated or inferred, just my conjecture... But if in the week of testing he had only been told amino acids/vitamins, that could explain why no thymosin was listed. However, were the amino acids/vitamins listed or was that left out as well?

With the doping control forms. Not stated or inferred, just my conjecture... But if in the week of testing he had only been told amino acids/vitamins, that could explain why no thymosin was listed. However, were the amino acids/vitamins listed or was that left out as well?

We will never know for sure if they were lied to or whether they were instructed to lie. Prismall had his chance to say but didnt. So I take it as the latter not the former.

I still feel that if the players had held EFC to task in the first place public perception of the 34 would have been different. The sticking fat with the club tarred them with the same brush and implied complicity.

I can actually think of NO other credible reason for every player (except Hunter) to "stick fat".

We've heard some fantastical theories from the Essendon faithful, but the only credible explanation for it is that the players were in it up to their necks.

We will never know for sure if they were lied to or whether they were instructed to lie. Prismall had his chance to say but didnt. So I take it as the latter not the former.
No, he did say. He said they weren't instructed to lie. You're just ignoring that because it doesn't suit your narrative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, he did say. He said they weren't instructed to lie. You're just ignoring that because it doesn't suit your narrative.

Fair enough I didnt hear all the interview but he certainly clammed up when asked that difficult question. Maybe he was lying, we will never know. He certainly blubbered through that part of the interview whilst he was quite articulate throughout the rest of it. I wonder why.. Not sure what you think my narrative is....I have been pretty balanced all the way through. Something doesnt add up about the mystery omission on the forms, WADA thought it was dodgy too.

Last edited:
Exactly - "the coach at a football club knows everything"

It is about time a player called Hird out.

Yet four time premiership coach and all round legend Leigh Matthews says otherwise.

Fair enough I didnt hear all the interview but he certainly clammed up when asked that difficult question. Maybe he was lying, we will never know. He certainly blubbered through that part of the interview whilst he was quite articulate throughout the rest of it. I wonder why.. Not sure what you think my narrative is....I have been pretty balanced all the way through. Something doesnt add up about the mystery omission on the forms, WADA thought it was dodgy too.
Pretty balanced ??? , you didn't listen to all the interview yet make conclusions .... Give me a break Timmy !!

How hard is Whately going to go with Prismall?

Prismall is an AFL injury hard luck story. He was unlucky enough to go to Essendon. He has lost his job due to the drug ban and like the other players has been under scrutiny for 4 years.

When Whatley had Hird that one time on 360, he kept correcting him and wouldn't let him get away with his rehearsed bs. None of it is Frost v Nixon.

How hard is Whately going to go with Prismall?

Prismall is an AFL injury hard luck story. He was unlucky enough to go to Essendon. He has lost his job due to the drug ban and like the other players has been under scrutiny for 4 years.

When Whatley had Hird that one time on 360, he kept correcting him and wouldn't let him get away with his rehearsed bs. None of it is Frost v Nixon.
ricky?

Quite a few think he has integrity but he is a shrinking violet who seems to be too afraid to ask the obvious continuation question. His explanation about AOD-9064 was Robboesque.
If he asked every single question that should be asked, no one would agree to be interviewed by him...there is a fine line between maintaining journalistic integrity and losing your job. Whateley flies far closer to the sun than most.

And Matthews was on the inside at Essendon so clearly you would take his word over one of the players :rolleyes:

The house of cards fell a long time ago. The players are about to burn the remains

What on earth are u on about? You highlighted that a coach at a club knows everything. Matthews said he wouldn't have known what his medical/ science staff had given or treated his players with at Brisbane.

What on earth are u on about? You highlighted that a coach at a club knows everything. Matthews said he wouldn't have known what his medical/ science staff had given or treated his players with at Brisbane.

In that case, James Hird knew more about the Lions supplements under Matthews that Matthews did, apparently:

ESSENDON coach James Hird says the Bombers’ silent protest in the 2001 Grand Final against Brisbane’s controversial intravenous drip program does not compare to Sam Mitchell’s drug taunt.

The Herald Sun has confirmed a group of Bombers wore black armbands around their forearms in an attempt to taunt their Brisbane rivals.

Brisbane used intravenous drips to rehydrate players at half time of games in 2001 until the controversial practice was banned by the AFL.

It was reported at the time that Essendon players wore the tape as a mark of respect to Michael Long, who missed the game due to a hamstring injury sustained at the final training session.

But a senior Essendon premiership player told the Herald Sun: “It definitely was to do with the (intravenous drip) regimen”.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/65615ddca78bcc1d86d5c2b236871619

Poor Matthews didn't have a clue, even as he walked past them with needles in their arms at half time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent Prismall interview - 774

Remove this Banner Ad

Back