Brent Prismall

Remove this Banner Ad

catzfan

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Would Melbourne considering trading Brent Prismall (who came into Geelong side for 3 weeks averaging 25 disposals and 90% disposal efficiency) for your Priority draft Pick? Would keep Prismall over that in normal circumstances but due to depth he cant get a run and will probably want out at years end.

So Prismall for Pick 17?

I think it would be fairly even considering that's the best we're going to get and we're getting a first round pick essentially for someone not playing consistently in the team, yet in other years he may be worth more. He would be gret for Melbourne though.

The MFC under the management of Dean Bailey, are employing an all youth policy. With this the club is looking to hold onto any picks within the top 20.

Prismall is young though, so a deal might be struck. I doubt weather the club would part with Pick 17 though unless we trade to pick up another pick in the same region. I think we'd have to give up Green or someone for that to happen.

Would Melbourne considering trading Brent Prismall (who came into Geelong side for 3 weeks averaging 25 disposals and 90% disposal efficiency) for your Priority draft Pick? Would keep Prismall over that in normal circumstances but due to depth he cant get a run and will probably want out at years end.

So Prismall for Pick 17?

Not in a million years.
Hes a good footballer but not a late first rounder very early second round pick.
I would value prismall as a early 3rd rounder, he is so efficent because no one ever mans him up. Put him in our mid-field and he would get tagged.
We gave up scott thompson for brent moloney, for the time being ive had enough of the cats young mid-fielders who look great at geelong but when they come into a team with not as much depth cant get it done.

But that isnt to say prismall cant play, he just neeeds a couple of stars to make him effective. Probaley would be a great addition to the dogs, hawks or even adelaide.

I do rate him higher than james kelly, if you could get a first round pick for that dud id trade him before prismall.

There is no way known Prismall is worth pick 17.

Some Geelong fans are doing their best to build the myth that this guy is some sort of superstar but in reality he is just a dime a dozen midfielder.

Anything earlier than a mid to late 2nd round pick and you are being ripped off.

I can't understand how people hold draft picks so highly, Prismall is already a proven great player, and would be in the top 3 - 5 midfielders for us. It's far less of a gamble than picking somebody in the draft

Last 6 #17 picks in the Draft

2002 - Cameron Faulkner: Delisted by the Dogs

2003 - Billy Morrison: Delisted by the Pies

2004 - Andrew McQualter: Delisted and then Rookied by the Saints

2005 - Darren Pfeiffer: Delisted by the Crows, picked up in the PSD by Carlton

2006 - Shaun Hampson: 3rd string ruckman at the Blues

2007 - Harry Taylor: Mature age pick, same age as Prismall

I can't understand how people hold draft picks so highly, Prismall is already a proven great player, and would be in the top 3 - 5 midfielders for us. It's far less of a gamble than picking somebody in the draft

Most sensible comment I have read in years on BF! The draft is pure 'Russian Roulette' The high draft picks are those kids who have been first pick and elite in their local underage team, TAC team etc, playing against KIDS their own age, experience and size.

The move to the big league WILL FIND SOME OUT.

Prismall has impressed in the highest grade each time he has taken the field, he is still young, he would be an excellent pick up for any one of 10 or so clubs, including Melbourne.

Just check through the records and note the bodies lying in the graveyard that is the resting place for first round pick who didn't quite make it (but who clubs pinned their hopes on at the time.). It is a crowded plot.

So Prismall for Pick 17?

sounds good to me

You wont get it though.

Prismall was taken with pick 32 in the 2004 draft. Since then he's played only 17 games showing good form but nothing to exciting. Not enough to suggest his worth a pick 15 places higher in a valuable draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our pick after Pick 17, which would be early-mid 30s.

No way should we give up pick 17 for him.

And on people posting previous pick 17's, I'm sorry but that argument never works. That all comes down to certain clubs picking certain players, since the draft is a bit of a lottery you can't say 'Pick 17 will be an average player because these players who are duds were picked up at pick 17' because who knows who we'll pick?

Don't get me wrong, I really want him at Melbourne, but it is easy to shine at Geelong. He'd find it a lot harder in our midfield.

Not in a million years.
Hes a good footballer but not a late first rounder very early second round pick.
I would value prismall as a early 3rd rounder, he is so efficent because no one ever mans him up. Put him in our mid-field and he would get tagged.

Getting tagged usually equates to being a damaging player. You are saying he is worth a third rounder but if he was in Melbourne's midfield he would be tagged. If this is correct would it not free up Brock?

I don’t think many people have seen enough of this guy. He's game against us last year where got 25 touches and kicked 3 goals was impressive. After that he played another two games for the rest of the season in which he missed 8 weeks through injury.

When he was given an opportunity this year his game against Port Adelaide was evidence of his potential. He got the ball 32 times with high effectiveness.
Now with Cameron Ling to miss with a broken cheekbone he most likely will get another chance and if you go through Geelong’s midfield he would be hard pressed to keep his spot. This is not because he isn’t any good it’s more because Geelong’s midfield is too good.

Melbourne is going for youth. Brent Prismall is 21 years old……that to me seems like it fits into that category.

But here are the picks 16 and 18 respectively, with the bold players potentially better than Prismall and for some of them more important in their role in the team.
2007 - Matthew Lobbe / Alex Rance
2006 - Mitch Brown / Leroy Jetta
2005 - Richard Douglas / Max Bailey
2004 - Adam Pattison / Cameron Wood
2003 - Josh Willoughby / Llane Spaanderman
2002 - Stephen Gilham / Kris Shore

Could be a good area to pick a ruckman especially with this year having many quality and flexible big blokes - McKernan, Roughead, Vickery. So you could take Prismall who would help the team but still just add to a midfield with McLean, Jones, Moloney, Bruce, Green, Morton, Dunn etc, or gamble on a ruckman or tall who could become a very good player. For such a price as pick 17 I'd keep the pick.

Melbourne should target him for free via the PSD. He is getting no opportunities at the Cats and will be looking to leave for a club that he will be able to get a game at. Dees would be a good fit for him I think.

Could be a good area to pick a ruckman especially with this year having many quality and flexible big blokes - McKernan, Roughead, Vickery. So you could take Prismall who would help the team but still just add to a midfield with McLean, Jones, Moloney, Bruce, Green, Morton, Dunn etc, or gamble on a ruckman or tall who could become a very good player. For such a price as pick 17 I'd keep the pick.
Why not do both, you'll most likely have picks 17 and 18 if my understanding of the draft is correct - go a safe choice with a player who is known to be very good and a likely 200 gamer as well as go a ruck who will end up somewhere between 0 and 250 games. I really don't know if he will be up for sale anyway. If he was to stay at Geelong he would be a permanent fixture in the midfield within four years and second only behind Selwood. We would definitely prefer to keep him.

But here are the picks 16 and 18 respectively, with the bold players potentially better than Prismall and for some of them more important in their role in the team.
2007 - Matthew Lobbe / Alex Rance
2006 - Mitch Brown / Leroy Jetta
2005 - Richard Douglas / Max Bailey
2004 - Adam Pattison / Cameron Wood
2003 - Josh Willoughby / Llane Spaanderman
2002 - Stephen Gilham / Kris Shore

As for players potentially being better than him, i don't see how that's a factor, as Prismall has played better than those blokes and has just as much potential to end up better than any of them.

As for just adding to the midfield, i am yet to see our mid's dominate another team's. What's wrong with having a stacked Midfield, Geelong and West Coast both won a Premiership off one

Barring Mitch Brown Prismall is probably better than any of those players and given opportunity would be far better. Hell, we'd keep him if we could

Getting tagged usually equates to being a damaging player. You are saying he is worth a third rounder but if he was in Melbourne's midfield he would be tagged. If this is correct would it not free up Brock?

I don’t think many people have seen enough of this guy. He's game against us last year where got 25 touches and kicked 3 goals was impressive. After that he played another two games for the rest of the season in which he missed 8 weeks through injury.

When he was given an opportunity this year his game against Port Adelaide was evidence of his potential. He got the ball 32 times with high effectiveness.
Now with Cameron Ling to miss with a broken cheekbone he most likely will get another chance and if you go through Geelong’s midfield he would be hard pressed to keep his spot. This is not because he isn’t any good it’s more because Geelong’s midfield is too good.

Melbourne is going for youth. Brent Prismall is 21 years old……that to me seems like it fits into that category.

I would have seen more of prismall than you ever had. I see geelong vfl heaps and am a close observer of what goes on down here in geelong and i admire many of their players.
I state prismall is a good player but he is not worth pick 17.
If he was in our midfield he would cop more attention than he does when he gets to roam free for geelong and wouldnt be aloud to run riot like he did in that game at the g you talked about above. Im saying when he gets off to a hot start like he did at the g that day, the opposition team would tag him instantley if he was in our midfield. While at geelong he can play as well as he did that day and get away with it, what they are going to take taggers off ablett, bartel, corey and selwood to cover prismall?? Please!!!!!!!! Prismall hurting you is not even as close as ablett or bartel hurting you.

Like someone else said he a dime a dozen mid-fielder, doesnt do anything special or outstanding, just does the basics and does it well.

He would be the equivlant of michael braun when west coast had their best midfield running around. Great when hes not relyed on but not an a-grader when the others arent there to help out.

Pick 30 plus at best.

Not going to happen.
He's special in that he has the best disposal of anyone in our team and decision making. The most effective inside 50 player in our team. Give him the ball 80 out and 9/10 your gauranteed and scoring opportunity within 40m. But DW we will keep him if that's all your offering, or trade him to another Melbourne Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent Prismall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back