Brent Stanton - A Grade footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Sidebottom is just as hard a runner, kicks more goals and has much better disposal and decision making than Stanton. The only reason he has received little attention throughout his career is because our midfield is full of "stars". Sidebottom also has a terrific record in big matches and finals whereas I think that most would agree that in the few important matches Stanton has played in he has pretty much rolled over and given up. There was a pretty good reason why Essendon supporters got into the habit of boooing him you know :(

Not getting attention from opposition taggers allows this though doesn't it? On the goals, Steele has played forward more often i would've thought over his career.

Sidebottom obviously has a better finals record though, there is no disputing that. All i'm saying is if Brent Stanton was playing the same role Steele is at Collingwood this year,the output would be pretty similar IMO.

Not getting attention from opposition taggers allows this though doesn't it? On the goals, Steele has played forward more often i would've thought over his career.

Sidebottom obviously has a better finals record though, there is no disputing that. All i'm saying is if Brent Stanton was playing the same role Steele is at Collingwood this year,the output would be pretty similar IMO.

Sidebottom's what, five years younger than Stanton? I'd take him and his finals record over Stanton.

Yeah I don't disagree that the output would be similar but sidebottom is marginally better on account of his superior disposal and decision making imo. I agree Sidebottom also has played more up forward (though not by that much, most of his goals come from the midfield) but I doubt anyone disputes that he is also more of a natural around the goals than Stanton who really is just a straight up midfielder - on this note it should be noted that Sidebottom is much more versatile than Stanton having done good jobs in midfield, attack and now defence. I doubt Stanton has the ability to do this.

Tag or no tag Sidebottom is a much better user of the ball of than Stanton who is only average as a midfielder. Sidebottom has never really been tagged so it's tough to know how he'd handle it however I believe he's in the top couple of endurance runners at the club and I'd point again to his record in finals which are mostly really tight intense affairs to suggest that he'd at least do ok with a tag. The issue is that he isn't the greatest inside player so would have to burn a tag by running them into the ground.

Fair enough, all valid points. It is tough to say how Sidebottom would go under a tag, his ability around goals means he could easily play up forward and kick a couple of goals if he isn't get much of the ball in the midfield.

First you have Ablett, A+
Next, your Dangerfields, Watsons, Pendleburys and alike, A
Then we go to Delidio, Mitchell, Goddard and so on, B
Then we go to your Stantons around the next level down.

Good player who could have been so much more but for whatever reason he just never made it. He can play well but at the first sign of a tag he flops over and goes to sleep. Goddard joining you guys and taking the second tag has helped so much it isn't funny. He is capable of great things but requires someone else to give up their game for him.

GWS, Melbourne, St. Kilda, North, Port, Crows (Dangerfield plays forward), Brisbane and Carlton (yes ahead of Judd, Murphy et al).

GWS - No/Maybe (Callan Ward)
Dees - No/Maybe (Nathan Jones)
Saints - No (Steven)
Crows - I've lost all respect for you now
North - (Wells and Swallow are miles ahead, again respect is going south at a rate of knots)
Carlton - No way (Murphy, and would still prefer Judd)
Brisbane - Maybe (Rich)
Port - No (Boak)

Real solid 8 there.

GWS - No/Maybe (Callan Ward)
Dees - No/Maybe (Nathan Jones)
Saints - No (Steven)
Crows - I've lost all respect for you now
North - (Wells and Swallow are miles ahead, again respect is going south at a rate of knots)
Carlton - No way (Murphy, and would still prefer Judd)
Brisbane - No (Rich)
Port - No (Boak)

Real solid 8 there.

i really hope he was joking, id take literally every player on your list ahead of stanton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he really just say that Stanton was better than Dangerfield? (because he isn't a forward)

omg

Essendon supporters truly are the dumbest of all.
I think you'll find most Essendon supporters found that assessment to be completely wide of the mark.

GWS, Melbourne, St. Kilda, North, Port, Crows (Dangerfield plays forward), Brisbane and Carlton (yes ahead of Judd, Murphy et al).

What a fail.

Funniest thing I've read in a while. I get you have to be biased towards your own but surely you're not that deluded?

Stanton wasn't even responsible for the squib of the match which was reserved for the Essendon skipper in the last quarter. Though who can really blame him, it was not only best for himself but also the team that he avoided that contest athough having said that I doubt Luke Ball would have jibbed it.

You thought was a squib? It was clearly him spending before he got it. Good to see you missing Ben Ried shit himself under a high ball

First you have Ablett, A+
Next, your Dangerfields, Watsons, Pendleburys and alike, A
Then we go to Delidio, Mitchell, Goddard and so on, B
Then we go to your Stantons around the next level down.

Good player who could have been so much more but for whatever reason he just never made it. He can play well but at the first sign of a tag he flops over and goes to sleep. Goddard joining you guys and taking the second tag has helped so much it isn't funny. He is capable of great things but requires someone else to give up their game for him.
Watson, Dangerfield and Pendlebury are all A+ imo, GAJ is just a freak of nature and it's just unfair comparing him to other players because he's just too good.

200th game this week for Stanton.

He'd be the best midfielder at 8 of the 18 clubs. FACT.
Dear oh dear in terms of north a part from Swallow and Wells i think most good judges of football would even take Ziebell and Cunnington over Stanton. Sure stanton is an elite runner and has superb fitness but he is the king of getting outside receiving and bombing the ball anywhere he pleases. He lacks creativity and skill and anyone can see it a part from essendon supporters it seems.

200th game this week for Stanton.

He'd be the best midfielder at 8 of the 18 clubs. FACT.

0965d01d-bd09-41b6-ac45-d28dfcef0941.jpg

Fev of all people summed up his game for me.

Brendan Fevola@BrendanFevola25
Stanton give us a spell bud, stop calling for it in junk positions. Bomber boys don't give it to him when he screams for it. #spell
Fev's not far off there. Brent's a super athlete but not the brightest footballer. He regularly calls for it in bad positions and has little to no awareness of what's happening around him.

Brent is a very valuable player as a link man and will run himself into the ground for the team though.

Fev's not far off there. Brent's a super athlete but not the brightest footballer. He regularly calls for it in bad positions and has little to no awareness of what's happening around him.

Brent is a very valuable player as a link man and will run himself into the ground for the team though.

I enjoy Fevs footy insights during the games on Twitter. He seems pretty impartial.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent Stanton - A Grade footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back