Brent Stanton - A Grade footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

so hows he going now that he can't rely on Watson to get the ball for him?

26 ish disposals, 4.5 marks, 3.5 tackles and a goal and a half a game since Watson went down...

Are they bad stats?

Ablett is above A+, by so far its not funny.

There's no denying that Cotchin and Danerfield are A graders, but not all midfielders are the same. He's taken a massive step this year (possibly coinciding with Goddard joining EFC) in become a seriously good footballer.

He runs all day, disposal has drastically improved and has also kicked more than ten goals.

Could you build a midfield around him? No. But there are only a handful of players which you could.

Name me a better link up mid in the AFL. I'd love to see a distance covered stat.

So he can run a long way. Maybe he should have been a marathon runner.
As far as footy goes, like so many as Essendon, is a solid contributor when things are going their way. FWIW, to me he would be a B grade player at best.

so hows he going now that he can't rely on Watson to get the ball for him?

fine, they recruited Goddard to help inside and he's been farming it out to Stanton.

26 ish disposals, 4.5 marks, 3.5 tackles and a goal and a half a game since Watson went down...

Are they bad stats?
Pretty good for a B grader, you should be happy with him.

Maybe I am being unfair. B+ grader

Stanton is a front runner with a very high work rate and decent foot skills. Of course when the heat is on or a hard tag he disappears very quickly.

The sort of player that looks very good when the team is up and about but no influence at all when they are up against it. Thats no major slur. Every team has players like that and good teams need them them to capitalize when they have dominance.

He is a very solid B to B+ player and would get a game at every club as their 3rd-6th best mid.

Stanton is a front runner with a very high work rate and decent foot skills. Of course when the heat is on or a hard tag he disappears very quickly.

The sort of player that looks very good when the team is up and about but no influence at all when they are up against it. Thats no major slur. Every team has players like that and good teams need them them to capitalize when they have dominance.

He is a very solid B to B+ player and would get a game at every club as their 3rd-6th best mid.

Are you Paul Roos?

;)

Stanton again failed to stand up or even hold his own when the chips were down against good opposition. Even with Watson out/injured Heppell takes the tag, it seems like teams are just relying on the pressure of good football to dull him now.

He's a massive tease and after 9 seasons, he's a long shot to change that.

Brereton loves pointing out moments of weakness. He looks for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic.

So how do you think Brent goes about it? Forgetting Lance and all that..

I think he's a bit of a front runner, a bit like Embley, capable of some brilliant games, needs others to bring him into the game, very soft very outside, excellent runner.

I think he's a bit of a front runner, a bit like Embley, capable of some brilliant games, needs others to bring him into the game, very soft very outside, excellent runner.

Mmm...24 year old, premiership playing Embley (or when ever his peak was) I'd take over Brent any day.

Mmm...24 year old, premiership playing Embley (or when ever his peak was) I'd take over Brent any day.

Embley might have played 30 high quality games in his career.

He was good enough to pull out one of these games on the last day in September, but there's been alot of meh games, and alot of Stinkers.

Embley might have played 30 high quality games in his career.

He was good enough to pull out one of these games on the last day in September, but there's been alot of meh games, and alot of Stinkers.

Embley was better than that..

Biggest criticism.

Dustin Martin doesn't have the fitness of a Stanton but if he's being tagged you're at least guaranteed a 5 minute burst that influences the play. Stanton looks to me like he's always stuck in second gear.

Not sure about that. I'd take Jack, Hannebery, O'Keefe, McVeigh, Kennedy and Goodes over Stanton. Stanton can rack it up against weak opposition but turns to water once he faces a tough opposition.

Brereton loves pointing out moments of weakness. He looks for them.
Stanton wasn't even responsible for the squib of the match which was reserved for the Essendon skipper in the last quarter. Though who can really blame him, it was not only best for himself but also the team that he avoided that contest athough having said that I doubt Luke Ball would have jibbed it.

On Stanton, I think everyone knew that Essendon were going to have serious problems come the business end of the season when a player of his calibre is one of their top midfielders. The last month they've clearly shown that they are still not up to finals footy and I'd expect that if they are allowed to play finals they'll probably be the weakest to second weakest side in it. I suspect 2014 will be the same unless the can find some midfield talent to fill the void but I'm not seeing any come through :(

Not sure about that. I'd take Jack, Hannebery, O'Keefe, McVeigh, Kennedy and Goodes over Stanton. Stanton can rack it up against weak opposition but turns to water once he faces a tough opposition.
Pendlebury, Swan, Ball, Beams, Thomas, Sidebottom. Stanton might be the sub.

Pendlebury, Swan, Ball, Beams, Thomas, Sidebottom. Stanton might be the sub.

Stanton would be just as effective if not more than Sidebottom if he was allowed the same freedom.

Brent would be handy as a 3rd or 4th midfielder in the top few sides, he just isn't good enough to break a tag week in week out like Jobe,Pendlebury,Ablett etc. I feel like we've been saying that for years now though so i doubt he's going to get better than he is now considering how many games he's already played.

Stanton would be just as effective if not more than Sidebottom if he was allowed the same freedom.

Brent would be handy as a 3rd or 4th midfielder in the top few sides, he just isn't good enough to break a tag week in week out like Jobe,Pendlebury,Ablett etc. I feel like we've been saying that for years now though so i doubt he's going to get better than he is now considering how many games he's already played.
Sidebottom is just as hard a runner, kicks more goals and has much better disposal and decision making than Stanton. The only reason he has received little attention throughout his career is because our midfield is full of "stars". Sidebottom also has a terrific record in big matches and finals whereas I think that most would agree that in the few important matches Stanton has played in he has pretty much rolled over and given up. There was a pretty good reason why Essendon supporters got into the habit of boooing him you know :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent Stanton - A Grade footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back