Brett Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
As many of you will know, I don’t post comments about players etc... unless the source is very very good. I’ve been on this board for a long time, so feel free to check out my history.

With that said, I can share information heard from one of our senior, leadership type of players. He was speaking recently at a venue after a couple of drinks and mentioned that he wished Noble was back at Adelaide, how they loved his work and had great respect for him. He went on to say that he and the vast majority of the players did not like Burton at all. They thought he was “a compete idiot” and out of his depth.

This is from a player who has known Burton for a very long time.

If this is the feeling of the players and the supporters are also asking questions about his suitability, just how blindly stubborn are our administration? I mean why on Earth would you roll Burton out to present the jumpers to the new draftees? No ex players the draftees might have been excited to meet? Or was it just to get him out of the room while the big boys made the actual decisions?

I find the comments (genuine comments at that) to be of great concern moving forwards. How long will we have to bury our heads in the sand so that Fagan and co can pretend they didn’t stuff up his appointment and as a consequence our premiership chances?

As many of you will know, I don’t post comments about players etc... unless the source is very very good. I’ve been on this board for a long time, so feel free to check out my history.

With that said, I can share information heard from one of our senior, leadership type of players. He was speaking recently at a venue after a couple of drinks and mentioned that he wished Noble was back at Adelaide, how they loved his work and had great respect for him. He went on to say that he and the vast majority of the players did not like Burton at all. They thought he was “a compete idiot” and out of his depth.

If this is the feeling of the players and the supporters are also asking questions about his suitability, just how blindly stubborn are our administration? I mean why on Earth would you roll Burton out to present the jumpers to the new draftees? No ex players the draftees might have been excited to meet? Or was it just to get him out of the room while the big boys made the actual decisions?

I find the comments (genuine comments at that) to be of great concern moving forwards. How long will we have to bury our heads in the sand so that Fagan and co can pretend they didn’t stuff up his appointment and as a consequence our premiership chances?
Mate you need to genuinely send this to Fagan, Chapman and Roo. Crows email addresses are standard protocol and these guys can be easily reached. Birdman out of his depth.

And the 2nd point re Noble. Blind bl00dy Freddy could see he was a successful operator. Well liked and respected - in and out of the club. Brought significant IP to list management / drafting and helped build successful culture. Look what’s happening with Lions now

Anyone happy to fess up and admit how incredibly wrong they were in bagging Noble? Silence will probably be deafening

And this is exactly why I was happy with the media scrutinising our camp so if we acted like any normal club we would have moved Burton on for the camp and our injuries. But like a good boys club we are we protect their own.

Why did Burton present the jumpers? Simple, trying to repair his brand with a feel good moment. It was so managed and obvious it was pathetic.

I recently met a player who I shan’t name. I asked him about Burton and if he was a dick, he asked me why I thought that and I said due to the camp and our injuries, he said he was okay but poor in the media. This player doesn’t know me so understandably wouldn’t open up. His parter did and she turned to me when the player was occupied and said he was a dick and it’s a boys club. Gave me an example of poor injury management.

A couple of months back I also shared some info which got lost in the usual wank of naming your source. The info was it’s not a happy place at all and not a great place to work.

The club might be trying to sweep it under the carpet but Burton is going to have to change and massively lift his game otherwise we won’t go anywhere.

Mate you need to genuinely send this to Fagan, Chapman and Roo. Crows email addresses are standard protocol and these guys can be easily reached. Birdman out of his depth.

And the 2nd point re Noble. Blind bl00dy Freddy could see he was a successful operator. Well liked and respected - in and out of the club. Brought significant IP to list management / drafting and helped build successful culture. Look what’s happening with Lions now

Anyone happy to fess up and admit how incredibly wrong they were in bagging Noble? Silence will probably be deafening
I must admit I felt it was time for a change and wasn’t happy with some of our trading and giving guys like Mackay 4 years, but how I wish he was in charge instead of Burton.

Its not that Noble wasnt bad , its that Burton is worse

And why didn’t they move on Burton?

They would then have to admit his appointment was a mistake, bringing into his question their judgement and be accused of getting the boys club appointment wrong.

Its not that Noble wasnt bad , its that Burton is worse
I dislike this post. Very much.

How in the hell was Noble bad? You realise footy success and culture takes a few years to play out. You don’t need to be Einstein here. Just check the facts with Nobles time at Crows and our relative success in the period after he left. And look at Lions..stock heading in the right direction dont you think?

(1) As Head of Football who was served a $hit sandwich of draft sanctions in 2012 / 2013 look what then happened over coming years.

(2) Team made GF in 2017 before choking on the day - as well as being up structured badly (too tall). If you were at the ground with rainy, swirling wind you would know what I mean.

(3) in 2017 Crows had 7 All Australian squad of 40 players AND had most “best under 22 players” in the league (from memory in 2016).

Now 2 and 3 above are excellent results (and 3 is actually quite exceptional) with a team that was banned from high draft picks for 2 years (perhaps check and contrast Blues record after losing DP’s) and HAD never had access to high draft picks from never bottoming out. Who was the mastermind of AFLs best forward line in 2017 with FA Betts, Lynch traded in cheap, Jenkins traded in cheap, (all 3 Nobles work) and overseeing Mc Govern and CC bargain basement drafting

Seriously how anyone can honesty say Noble was a failure defies any form of logic or fact checking.

Noble's problem was getting involved with list management where he is completely hopeless. We've seen at both Adelaide and Brisbane that he's made some bizarre moves at the trade table when involved, plus some poor contracting choices.

But he was certainly much better than Burton in other areas

Last edited:
In pure football department management, Noble was very good. Helped keep our injury list relatively normal (along with Poulos), would have helped with the decision to bring in Walsh and Pyke etc. He obviously got flustered at times when it came to crunch moments at the trade and contract table, but these things happen at every club

Burton is just a poor manager full stop

Noble's problem was getting involved with lost management where he is completely hopeless. We've seen at both Adelaide and Brisbane that he's made some bizarre moves at the trade table when involved, plus some poor contracting choices.

But he was certainly much better than Burton in other areas
Bizarre moves like his bargain trading of Jenkins?

And Lynch?

And getting Brad Crouch cheaply by trading away next years draft pick when Crows jumped to top 4.

And getting his B&F winning younger brother by aggressively trading out an underperforming club favourite?

And Betts as almost the best ever FA on way under market value?

And best ever compensation for a FA leaving?

And building a successful culture and ultimately allowing the team to make GF despite all the obvious obstacles of draft sanctions, always crap draft picks and turmoil with Walsh’s tragedy

Yeah he completely c0cked things up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never really understood the Noble hate. I thought that he managed some terrible situations well and essentially had to manage up and down with Trigg there. I think that the AFC org chart is better now with JR in charge of list management though. He is a way better negotiator.

And Lynch?

And getting Brad Crouch cheaply by trading away next years draft pick when Crows jumped to top 4.

And getting his B&F winning younger brother by aggressively trading out an underperforming club favourite?

Noble was list manager and heavily involved in that aspect as well as being head of football for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. During that period we lost Dangerfield for unders and gave hefty contracts to Mackay, Henderson, Menzel and Hampton.

It's no coincidence that some of our worst trading/contracting was done during the 2014-15 period where Noble had the most influence

Now at Brisbane he spent overs for Cameron and bizarrely traded out their 2019 1st in a weird move for Neale.

Last edited:

And Lynch?

And best ever compensation for a FA leaving?

He was poor at trading, there’s no argument. You could forgive the deals in isolation, but his body of work doesn’t stack up. Unders for Danger, Gunston, overs for Cheney, lowden, Hampton. Then he gives us 12 for Cameron.

From memory lynch and Jenkins were players that rendel tracked. Trading Vince wasn’t an aggressive master stroke, we did it as a reaction to sanctions.

I'm not talking about recruiting or talent ID. I'm talking purely about Noble's skills as list manager, which mostly involves contract management and trading. Noble wasn't involved with the trades for Jenkins, Lynch, and both Crouches by the way, he might have been involved with identifying them as targets but he was not list manager at that stage

Noble was list manager and heavily involved in that aspect as well as being head of football for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. During that period we lost Dangerfield for unders and gave hefty contracts to Mackay, Henderson, Menzel and Hampton.

It's no coincidence that some of our worst trading/contracting was done during the 2014-15 period where Noble had the most influence

Now at Brisbane he spent overs for Cameron and bizarrely traded out their 2019 1st in a weird move for Neale.

I think you need to check your facts, Noble was made list manager towards the end of Craig’s rein and was very much the driving force behind trades for Crouch, Jenkins, Lynch etc.

This article relates directly to the 2011 trade period and confirms Noble was list manager at this time.
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2011-10-17/trade-wrap-five-new-crows

Care to expand on why?

I think a player publically criticizing the football GM is a bigger issue.
First off you don’t know who the player was talking to and in what setting.
Second the player didn’t know his comments would make it on to Big Footy.
Third what purpose does it serve to name him? You either believe DJ75 or you don’t.

If you think a player criticising the incompetent GM who ruined their season is a bigger issue than Burton’s boy club appointment and the arse covering since, I don’t know what to tell you.

I must admit I felt it was time for a change and wasn’t happy with some of our trading and giving guys like Mackay 4 years, but how I wish he was in charge instead of Burton.

I think I'd rather a third option. Noble was good but to me felt like we had gone as far as we could have with him in that role. Burton is an idiot from everything we've seen from the last few years.

I think you need to check your facts, Noble was made list manager towards the end of Craig’s rein and was very much the driving force behind trades for Crouch, Jenkins, Lynch etc.

This article relates directly to the 2011 trade period and confirms Noble was list manager at this time.
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2011-10-17/trade-wrap-five-new-crows

Yes looks like I had John Reid and Noble's positions confused.

So it looks like the period I'm thinking of coincides with Noble's position as head of football. Perhaps this was due to him being in charge of the overall strategy, as opposed to having someone he is accountable to above him in the chain. This certainly would also make sense as he isn't list manager at Brisbane, but head of football.

I don't doubt Noble's qualities in other areas, but since 2014 where he's held a head of football position, the clubs he has been involved with have made some questionable list management decisions

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back