Traded Brett Deledio [traded to GWS for Geelong's 2017 1st rd pick and GWS's 2017 3rd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

This year he played 11 games and finished top ten in the B & F (not that hard, I know)

Last year he played 18 games, finished 3rd in the B & F of a team that sat in fifth spot after home and away, and was All Australian.

You guys want some extra class to lift you to a flag, we want some young capable players who will hold a spot for seven or eight years.

I think this one's likely to happen.

I'm hoping it does happen, but as mentioned above, it's all about selling him on going to Richmond. If the rumours are true, and he's great mates with Prestia, and indeed has a "personal connection" to Balme/Caracella, it might work. Will obviously get far more midfield time, and potentially a small pay bump. Will also get to live in Melbourne, if that's his thing...

Just caught Jake Niall on the Fox Footy "Trade Tonight" show. He suggested Caddy has spoken with Richmond, and similarly his management has spoken to them, and seems the ball is now in Geelong's court, or at least I interpreted it.

is just what the cats lack would be a gun there
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

The amount of underating of Deledio here is ridiculous

1. He is NOT and I repeat NOT injury prone. One year does not make you injury prone and before that he was very consistent.

2. He has played his whole career carrying an average team. Imagine the damage Deledio can do with guys like sellwood and Dangerfield taking all the attention??

3. He has elite skills and no one can dispute that.

I am not saying he is flawless and I am actually a very critical Richmond supporter. I understand trade wise his age and whatnot will diminish his value but seriously guys give him some credit. If Geelong can snare him I am genuinely scared of what they can achieve next year.

Caddy for Deledio!!! As a Geelong supporter I would take that every day of the week. As a Richmond supporter I am somewhat dissapoonted but tbh I want to see Deledio get the recognition he deserves so I am happy for him. And at least it isn't Motlop, last thing Richmond need is another lazy front runner

Caddy who has done nothing apart from one decent year for a bloke who can take you to a Flag.

It's a no brainer, Cat supporters rate Caddy way to highly.

How many years would Deledio have left in the AFL? I'll rather keep Caddy thanks. The brown and yellow have the right idea in targeting quality players in their early 20s who could potentially play for next 10 years barring serious injury instead of players who are entering the twilight of their career and might have 3 years left at most.

I hate what the brown and yellow are doing (i.e. unethically influencing young players from other teams when their not even close to being free agents) but it's worth it purely for the long term benefit that they can provide for a club if they successfully do a trade.

For that reason I'm not fussed if a deal can't get done to get Deledio to the Cattery. I'm far more interested in doing a hawthorn and going after young guns from the Giants to be honest. It's the only we way we can keep up with those *ahem* immoral evil doers.

Just remember Hawks and Cats have been r*ped of the 2 best players (and a shit load of others) of the modern era and got jack shit for em. Revenge is sweet.
Difference is our clubs didn't whinge when it happened to us. We let Buddy - a once in a generation player - go for peanuts and not a bad word was spoken about him by the club. Hawks have still lost more from free agency than we have gained.

Loser clubs piss and moan. Winner clubs just get things done.

Do I want Geelong to get Deledio, who I regard as an absolute star? About as much as Geelong fans want Hawks to land O'Meara and Mitchell. But I can respect the fact that geelong look like pulling it off and they will be a real contender next year. They are a good club and they make things happen - even if they are a pack of campaigners.

If you think that the difference between Caddy and Lids is half a grade you are seriously deluded.

The difference is about 3 grades B compared to A++

You guys ghave no idea how good Lids actually is. If you get his body right, he coould play another 5 years and you could win 3 premierships

Thats how good he is, and I am being conservative
Agree. He is a jet.

Chris is trying to outdo Brad in breaking Rossy's record of leaving legacy of decimating club playing lists in search of a non-existent flag

If you want Deledio`s true value all you have to do is look at the compo pick North got for Wells.

If Deledio was 27 he would easily be worth a first and second rounder without hesitation.

Wells is 3 years older than Deledio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I certainly don't want to lose Brett , but if he were to join the Cats he would suit your team most off half back ! His pace & kicking skills would be best suited there for them

I see Caddy as a poor man's Dangerfield. A big bodied bollocking clearance player, minus the speed and a fair bit of class. He's underutilised at Geelong because he's only a rotation option in midfield but if he could be a full time option IMO he'd be consider in a much higher light. Unfortunately for him Geelong are playing him at HFF because they're rotating through S.Selwood, Blicavs, Menegola and Guthrie in addition to him and it's not doing him any favours. He was a 5 clearance player a game in 2015 and we had no ruckmen, I'd expect at least that if he was a full time mid again.

I wonder if we could do something like:
Kersten -> Freo
Pick 34 -> Geelong

Richmond -> Caddy + pick 34
Carlton -> Pick 26
Geelong -> Touhy + Deledio

Not sure exactly how it would get done but something along those lines.

You understand the concept that good clubs dont try and shove players off the boat who have no interest in leaving.

Like all ambit claims it will get moved past fairly quickly.

Which leaves you back in the position of both not having the currency to make the trade, and having salary cap concerns with getting good players in.

Offering up a bunch of guys nobody wants wont get the deal done.

I see Caddy as a poor man's Dangerfield. A big bodied bollocking clearance player, minus the speed and a fair bit of class. He's underutilised at Geelong because he's only a rotation option in midfield but if he could be a full time option IMO he'd be consider in a much higher light. Unfortunately for him Geelong are playing him at HFF because they're rotating through S.Selwood, Blicavs, Menegola and Guthrie in addition to him and it's not doing him any favours. He was a 5 clearance player a game in 2015 and we had no ruckmen, I'd expect at least that if he was a full time mid again.

Kersten -> Freo
Pick 34 -> Geelong

Carlton -> Pick 26

Ive got a better idea, send caddy to carlton, theyll take him for touhy, and we will keep lids .

That way we actually are not actually WORSE off:thumbsdown:

How many years would Deledio have left in the AFL? I'll rather keep Caddy thanks. The brown and yellow have the right idea in targeting quality players in their early 20s who could potentially play for next 10 years barring serious injury instead of players who are entering the twilight of their career and might have 3 years left at most.
You mean those young guys like Hale, Lake, Burgoyne, Dew, Guerra, Gibson?

Not sure this mooted trade really makes either list stronger.

Deledio is a higher quality performer to date (by some margin) than Caddy but I wouldn't have thought he really improves Geelong in the area they most need to improve, which is reducing the reliance on Selwood and Dangerfield in the middle of the ground. Unless they trade in another good quality onballer, surely they'd be looking to the likes of Caddy to improve and bolster that midfield? If they've decided he's not got it in him to contribute more in midfield then I guess it makes sense, albeit replacing a player who should be about to enter the prime of his career with one who is probably on the other side of his prime.

Kersten -> Freo
Pick 34 -> Geelong

Carlton -> Pick 26

Poor man's Dangerfield? The best player in the comp right now, yeah nah no chance, Maybe a poor man's Callan Ward.

Deledio is a higher quality performer to date (by some margin) than Caddy but I wouldn't have thought he really improves Geelong in the area they most need to improve, which is reducing the reliance on Selwood and Dangerfield in the middle of the ground. Unless they trade in another good quality onballer, surely they'd be looking to the likes of Caddy to improve and bolster that midfield? If they've decided he's not got it in him to contribute more in midfield then I guess it makes sense, albeit replacing a player who should be about to enter the prime of his career with one who is probably on the other side of his prime.

Deledio would make every team in the comp better.

Richmond lack size inside.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

That's not an accurate reflection of our needs though. We've got plenty of midfield rotation options and actually we did pretty well for contested ball (2nd in AFL) and clearances (4th in AFL). There's a reliance on Selwood and Dangerfield but a bigger problem is our ball use off HB along with run and carry. We were about the worst in the AFL in this area and Deledio and Touhy would reshape the team in that regard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brett Deledio [traded to GWS for Geelong's 2017 1st rd pick and GWS's 2017 3rd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back