Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

DimmasCubs

Debutant
Aug 28, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Brett Deledio #1 Draft Pick in 2004 National Draft, a player with dashing speed capable playing as a defender/midfielder/forward, with a strong contested mark, penetrating kick and good disposal efficiency.

Career
Games 150
Kicks 1707
Handballs 1563
Disposals 3270
Marks 805
Goals 99
Behinds 72
Tackles 353
Hitout 39
Frees For 116
Frees Against 75
Brownlow 32

vs

Ryan Griffen #3 Draft Pick in 2004 National Draft, spend most of his career playing as a midfielder with good efficiency, run and carry and a long kick.

Career
Games 143
Kicks 1677
Handballs 1163
Disposals 2840
Marks 501
Goals 98
Behinds 67
Tackles 460
Hitout 61
Frees For 116
Frees Against 128
Brownlow 34

Deledio easily, his utility job he performs is not appreciated by non richmond fans.

He is one of many highly skilled players that sacrifice there stats from the midfield to fill gaps in there team, Bartel, Hodge, Goddard are three that spring to mind that would likely compete for brownlows every year if there teams didnt need them elsewhere.

I dont expect Deledio to shower himself in accolades as the players above might, but if he ever gets full seasons in the middle I would safely back him to outperform Ryan Griffen in the role.

Deledio easily, his utility job he performs is not appreciated by non richmond fans.

He is one of many highly skilled players that sacrifice there stats from the midfield to fill gaps in there team, Bartel, Hodge, Goddard are three that spring to mind that would likely compete for brownlows every year if there teams didnt need them elsewhere.

I dont expect Deledio to shower himself in accolades as the players above might, but if he ever gets full seasons in the middle I would safely back him to outperform Ryan Griffen in the role.

Spot on. With Lids moving into the midfield this year, will get the recognition he deserves.

Im pretty sure this is a poll between these 2 that has been going on for a few years. I might be thinking of someone else vs Griffen though, but im pretty sure it's Deledio.

Im obviously going to choose Griffen, but it's not completely biased, although there is some of that, but I genuinely believe he is the better player.

Griffen is a lot more damaging when he gets the ball. Can kick it 60m, and some of the highlights of our year last year were his perfect passes into the forward 50. His kicking is very underrated, due to his final vs Collingwood last year (our best on ground easily, 2nd best behind Swan overall), where he had to do it all himself and just clear the ball out of the many contests.

Can't compare to Deledio in finals performance, since he hasn't played any, but Griffen is a huge finals player. Has been our best, or one of, in every final he has played.

He is very underrated on bf, and I know i'd definitely pick him over Deledio. We will see how he goes in the midfield this year, though.

There has been a few Lids v whoever polls recently.

One of the main criticisms from opposition supporters is that he's a half back flanker.

He'ls playing midfield this year, so a lot of these polls should be settled. Certainly has the potential to be elite, but probably hasn't reached those heights yet.

We'll find out what he's got this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deledio is a much better player, can play all over the ground and be effective. Griffen is great as a mid but i cannot see him doing as much if given roles as a fwd or back.

Also lets look at the sides they play in. Deledio has had to shoulder a lot of the load at the tigers due to poor recruiting, team management etc. Whereas griffen has been surrounded by a more than competent midfield.

Deledio is a much better player, can play all over the ground and be effective. Griffen is great as a mid but i cannot see him doing as much if given roles as a fwd or back.

Also lets look at the sides they play in. Deledio has had to shoulder a lot of the load at the tigers due to poor recruiting, team management etc. Whereas griffen has been surrounded by a more than competent midfield.

The bolded part makes no sense.

Griffen has played at least half his career as a hbf, and done it well. He only went into the midfield around 2008/09.
He has kicked 1 goal less than Deledio in their careers, and he did so playing in the midfield, and in the last couple of years in stints in the forward line.
So he plays everywhere Deledio can, and has had a similar output. Their stats are remarkably similar, actually.

Also, if you want to talk about the sides they are playing in, can't the argument be that Deledio has been able to shine easily in a mediocre team, where as Griffen had stars around him, and has still been able to show how good a player he is. He won a best and fairest in a top 4 team.

Griffen at this point in their careers has been the more damaging player with more credentials under his belt like stepping up to the plate in finals, although with that said a lot of that has to do with the teams both players have been in respectively. Griff has had the luxury of quality support around him allowing him more space, freedom and a license to do what he wants in a position where he plays his most destructive footy, where as Dids has played in either a young or mediocre team all his career with his finals record or lack there of, proving that.

It will be interesting to see how Deledio goes in the next few years with more of a midfield role in a developing team that is on the right track, where as the tables have returned in some ways with Griffen who is in a team that is most probably on the decline in the next few years as they endure a rebuild.

So at this point in time, Griffen has the runs on the board but Deledio on talent with his proven versatility in a better team over the next few years, very might over take him.

There is absolutely no sane world in which Deledio has impacted more contests than Griffen.

It's absurd.

Griffen is a proven performer across the half back flank early on and through the middle in the last few seasons.

Deledio has never kicked on, stamping himself on maybe a handful of games.

Griffen is a proven performer, Deledio a potential performer.

Not in the same league.

The bolded part makes no sense.

Griffen has played at least half his career as a hbf, and done it well. He only went into the midfield around 2008/09.
He has kicked 1 goal less than Deledio in their careers, and he did so playing in the midfield, and in the last couple of years in stints in the forward line.
So he plays everywhere Deledio can, and has had a similar output. Their stats are remarkably similar, actually.

Also, if you want to talk about the sides they are playing in, can't the argument be that Deledio has been able to shine easily in a mediocre team, where as Griffen had stars around him, and has still been able to show how good a player he is. He won a best and fairest in a top 4 team.

How does what you have highlighted not make sense? as a fwd id take deledio, as a mid they would be close enough as who you would take and as a player who plays in the backline deledio has him covered and id take Deledio.

Prior to last year would you have taken griffen over deledio? i think the one great/stand out year last year has clouded your judgement. I think if deledio gets to play more time in the midfield you might find more would take deledio over griffen.

Still think its easier for him to play better in a better team, football isnt like basketball where the stars get all of the ball and the rest are bit players like you are suggesting.

How does what you have highlighted not make sense? as a fwd id take deledio, as a mid they would be close enough as who you would take and as a player who plays in the backline deledio has him covered and id take Deledio.

Prior to last year would you have taken griffen over deledio? i think the one great/stand out year last year has clouded your judgement. I think if deledio gets to play more time in the midfield you might find more would take deledio over griffen.

Still think its easier for him to play better in a better team, football isnt like basketball where the stars get all of the ball and the rest are bit players like you are suggesting.

It doesn't make sense because you said you can't see Griffen doing anything as a forward or backman. He has played the majority of his career in the backline, and did well at it. In the last few years, he has rested in the forward line instead of going to the bench a lot, and he has done well at it. He also tackles a fair bit more than Deledio, and Deledio is a backman.

Yes I would have taken Griffen over Deledio last year, and no, last year didn't cloud my judgement. I've watched his whole career very closely, since he plays for the team I barrack for. He didn't win his B&F last year, when we came 10th. He came 3rd last year, behind Boyd and Murphy. In 2010 he won, when we made a preliminary final.

Deledio stood out a lot more than his team mates for years, maybe barring Richo. The players around him were just average, where as he is a very good player, so of course he did. You can't deny that. Griffen has been in a team with 2 Brownlow medallists, multiple AA players, and still managed to make himself stand out.

Prior to last year would you have taken griffen over deledio? i think the one great/stand out year last year has clouded your judgement.

So his one stand out year was the season after he won the B and F in a top 4 side and was the teams best finals player. If that is the case he must have been amazing last season :)

It doesn't make sense because you said you can't see Griffen doing anything as a forward or backman. He has played the majority of his career in the backline, and did well at it. In the last few years, he has rested in the forward line instead of going to the bench a lot, and he has done well at it. He also tackles a fair bit more than Deledio, and Deledio is a backman.

Yes I would have taken Griffen over Deledio last year, and no, last year didn't cloud my judgement. I've watched his whole career very closely, since he plays for the team I barrack for. He didn't win his B&F last year, when we came 10th. He came 3rd last year, behind Boyd and Murphy. In 2010 he won, when we made a preliminary final.

Deledio stood out a lot more than his team mates for years, maybe barring Richo. The players around him were just average, where as he is a very good player, so of course he did. You can't deny that. Griffen has been in a team with 2 Brownlow medallists, multiple AA players, and still managed to make himself stand out.

Where did i directly say he cant do anything as a forward or back? i said i cant see him doing AS MUCH as deledio as a back or forward.

Isolate last year i would take griffen, over career and future potential improvement id take deledio. Deledio could play in your team and play more roles making him more versatile and he has great athletic ability.

Still my point is that it is easier for him to do what he did with better players around him. Do you think he could do what he has done if he was the no1 midfielder and not let say 3rd in the pecking order?

Where did i directly say he cant do anything as a forward or back? i said i cant see him doing AS MUCH as deledio as a back or forward.

Isolate last year i would take griffen, over career and future potential improvement id take deledio. Deledio could play in your team and play more roles making him more versatile and he has great athletic ability.

Still my point is that it is easier for him to do what he did with better players around him. Do you think he could do what he has done if he was the no1 midfielder and not let say 3rd in the pecking order?

Griffen is great as a mid but i cannot see him doing as much if given roles as a fwd or back.
You have written that like you cant see him doing as much as a back or forward than what he does as a mid. No mention of Deledio at all.

Last year wasn't Griffen's best year. His 2010 was a lot better, when he rightfully won the B&F. He got too tired towards the end of last year, because himself and Matthew Boyd pretty much carried our whole midfield.
Also, Deledio couldn't play more roles. Their physical shapes are identical. Both 188cm and 88kg. Griffen is faster, but Deledio has better endurance. Both are excellent athletic specimens, neither has the advantage in that department. There is no role either of them could play that the other doesn't.

To your last point, yes I do believe he could do it. It's entirely speculation, because it didn't happen. He did have good players around him, and that can't be changed. Who's to say how he would have gone. Exactly the same as Deledio, how do we know how good he could have gone if he had better players around him. For me personally, following Griffen's career very closely, im sure he would have been able to play at the level he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back