MVP Brian Lake

Remove this Banner Ad

Man love in spades for the big guy, after last years heartbreak I was chatting with one of my mates (also a hawk) about what we needed to bring in for the following season, we both agreed on Lake and how good we thought he could be for us if fit, he is a genuine champion of the game, sensational player

Add me to the list of Doggies supporters genuinely pleased for him. Was rapt to see him win the Normie!!! :thumbsu:

We got Nathan Hrovat and Koby Stevens in exchange. Let's hope it's a win win for both clubs in the next 5 years or so!!!
It's turned out alright for us so far....

Unfortunately, I was a bit of a nay-sayer when Hawthorn was trying to recruit him. I got that completely wrong. I also love the way he is a bit of an odd-ball, and doesn't care so much what others think. I hope he's with Hawthorn for many more years to come.

Huge congratulations to Brian, I'm really really happy for him. I saw first hand his brilliant efforts for us in the 2009/10 prelims and how much it hurt him when we fell short - he was absolutely brilliant today, really rapt for him.

Well done to you Hawks fans too - it goes without saying that I would give my left testicle (and more) for the Dogs to have achieved what you did today, I'm so glad that you won after being easily the best side for the past two years - well done, - soak it up, you deserve it!!!!

I remember watching Lake at the Dogs and wishing we could have him at the Hawks. Seemed just what we needed. When we recruited him I was over the moon and today he has helped us win the ultimate prise with a BOG! congrats on the two medals Brian, lets do it again next year! :)

I was so happy for him today (and all the others from other clubs) - the vision of him and his little bloke running onto the field was priceless today. It was also great to see the boys get around him - he seems to be genuinely liked which is in stark contrast to his reputation in previous years

He was absolutely outstanding

And guess what buddy - that's who will be lining up alongside you next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe better. The deal was Lake + Membrey (dogs 27) for Hrovat (hawks 21) and Stevens (hawks 41)

If Membrey turns out to be a great player, hawks will have done very well indeed.

Membrey went to Sydney...we picked up Tim OBrien with that pick that we swapped with the dogs...and Tim has made some very encouraging progress in his first season with the box hill hawks too!

Great to see this guy get some success.... he must have taken a super pay cut to get to you guys.... had nothing left to do at the Doggies since they will not be close to a flag for another 5 or so years....
see the bloke down in coroline springs a fair bit....

A terrific story and i'm in on the Lake love. Bulldogs may never have known of Jordan Roughead's full potential as a tall defender without Lake leaving

I was surprised initially to see him with the Normie but in hindsigh he was a deservering winner. Does a lot of stuff that doesn't get recognised as highly as an effective midfield possession or forward line goal

Him and Gibson as the two key defenders in that back line is a trade master stroke and may make Schoenmakers only a depth tall defender once fit

Well done Brian and Hawthorn for noticing the need and acquiring one of the better "monster defenders" in the AFL to get the job done

Will go as far as to say that we wouldn't be premiers right now had the club not identified this as a priority and gone out to get Brian at the end of last season. Would also venture to say that we may have been another cup or 2 in the cabinet had we done this in 09-10.

Will go as far as to say that we wouldn't be premiers right now had the club not identified this as a priority and gone out to get Brian at the end of last season. Would also venture to say that we may have been another cup or 2 in the cabinet had we done this in 09-10.

He would have cost you more in 09-10 and Doggies wouldn't have wanted to trade him to you. You never know what you might have given up that might have hurt you long term. Nah, he was struggling at the Dogs for one reason or another and they couldn't get him back in the fold. Not having played much and struggling with niggling injuries, the timing was just right for the Hawks. Best of all you didn't have to worry about giving up too much and wearing the fallout if he turned out to be a washed up has been. Minor risk, major reward. They don't happen all that often.

Agree we would be back to back if Brian was on our list last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back