MVP Brian Lake

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to see him win the Norm Smith! DESERVED. Played his role to the best of his ability. His last quarter sealed the win! Legend.

Break glass in case of finals.

Keep him on for next year and have him locked in a chiller. Release him fresh and ready. It's like our very own Ottens.

April to august. Pre season with the occasional practice game

September. Warm up and play footy

Is he our Clark Keating?

Love Lake. Probably the best recruiting coup the game's ever seen.

c/o http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-05/player-ratings-hawthorn-

Brian Lake – 8
"Sometimes looked to be on toast, but found a way to stop Hawkins in almost every one on one. Conceded just one goal to Hawkins and worried him out of the game. Lake's influence was enormous, because he forced Geelong to find a different avenue to goal."

(emphasis added)

Watching the game with cats supporter friends. They seem far less vocal about Hawkins then when he was manning up on Cheney. Less wild cheering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lake didn't play could've been a very different outcome.

The first 2 spoils he would've eaten up (pun intended) had he been playing on Shoe, then he would've possibly kicked the goal he missed with a set shot if his confidence was up.

Give the man a one year extension, even if it is for only September 2015, hats off to our recruiting staff once again.

c/o http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-05/player-ratings-hawthorn-

Brian Lake – 8
"Sometimes looked to be on toast, but found a way to stop Hawkins in almost every one on one. Conceded just one goal to Hawkins and worried him out of the game. Lake's influence was enormous, because he forced Geelong to find a different avenue to goal."

(emphasis added)
And even that one goal came from a SOFT free kick considering the physicality of the game (which other than that soft call and maybe the odd one or two others was umpired pretty well).

So given it shouldn't have been a free kick in my 'rose coloured glasses' view, I'm going to consider it that he kept him goalless...

Hopefully he has a couple more years in him. All we really have to do is manage him through the season, so he just cherry ripe for the finals.

Hopefully he has a couple more years in him. All we really have to do is manage him through the season, so he just cherry ripe for the finals.

Yep, play him in 12-14 games a season and then unleash him in the finals.

In the other games we might be able to teach Schoenmakers how to play football.

I'll admit I was pretty disgusted by his choking of Petrie earlier in the season, but to his credit he admitted he was in the wrong, took the punishment and got on with it. He has been absolutely brilliant against Hawkins/Geelong in their last 2 meetings. Here's hoping for back to back Norm Smith's.

Last edited:
It's probably a bit odd considering he's played a full career with anther club but he's without a doubt my favourite player. Partly because he's been the key missing piece to our team which does make the big games a lot less stressful, partly because he won the Norm Smith, partly because he's a rather odd and eccentric individual and partly because he has more than a touch of angry in him and will take it to any bullyboy opposition player anywhere in his vicinity.

2 flags in two years would be truly remarkable and whatever happens I hope we sign him on for another campaign, ideally we'll win the flag and he'll clobber Goodes or Buddy or perhaps even Tippett and start next season with a 4 game ban to give him an extended preseason...although you can guarantee we'll then have Cloke, Tippet, Hawkins in those first 4 games.

Loved the way Lake came in for Stratts to tell Porkins to pull his head in. Porkins picked a soft target with that jumper punch knowing that stratts won't retaliate. And I'm glad he didn't. But I'm thinking if he'd tried that on lake we'd be talking about something else know.

Remove this Banner Ad

MVP Brian Lake

Remove this Banner Ad

Back