Bring back the Adelaide Rams ****en

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not irrelevant at all. You embarked on a whinge about how the VFL/AFL treated the Swans in conjunction with your whine about the "Assistance" the Storm have received. None of such assistance has anything to do with the Storm.

I pointed out the difference in the start up circumstances of the two. What you infer from that may differ, but that's the basis of my argument. Arguing semantics on terms like bailout and assistance as well as providers may help you believe differently, but it doesn't change it.

Argue what you want, the Swans were put into Sydney without a brass razoo and ignored for a decade before attempts to merge or kill them off were made but failed. Melbourne came into the comp with guarantees of their future and the League backer pumping millions of dollars into them. Regardless of how you want to argue who paid what when and what constitutes assistance and bailouts, there is no way you could claim that Melbourne's early years are even close to Sydney's.

As for News Ltd's "Assistance", sure, they pump some money into the club
How many million a year?

Do you, or do you not have an overall larger list size than Richmond?
No. Do you seriously believe that? What draft concessions did Sydney get that allowed them to win the 2005 flag?

Is it about COL or player retention?
The two aren't mutually exclusive.

ding ding ding

& if COL is as large an issue as is made out..... why does this not happen?
Because no other club was losing players at the rate Sydney and Brisbane were when it was brought in..

Except for yourself, you claimed it was a COL allowance.
As above, it's not mutuall exclusive.

What NRL assistance did the Storm receive?
Having their entire existence underwritten. I ask you again. What assistance did the Swans receive in the period of 82-92?

I must not be explaining it right. The same people who watch the NAB cup are the same people who watch the AFL. That is my point exactly. Just like the same people who watch the NRL are the same people who watch SoO. their might be a few who watch the NRL but not SoO but those numbers would be negligible. This is just with regards to the graph.

The cumulative figures that Roy Masters quotes are a different matter
I'll try to explain it differently.

Lets say all AF games (inc NAB cup and AFL premiership season) games were shown back to back and all RL games (inc Toyota cup, NRL Premiership season,SoO and Kangaroos) were shown back to back. Despite RL having more games than AR (about 270 v 200 games) the coverage for AR would go longer (about 600 v 540 hours).

Are you with me so far?

Now, based on the figures Roy Masters likes to throw about, RL had a cummulatave figure (that is each games average viewers added to the next) of 120m averaging out to 445k average a game. the AFL figure was 112m (not including the GF replay) which averages out to 560k a game.

So not only does the coverage of AF go for longer but on average more people are watching whilst it is being broadcast. How can you say that RL has more viewers? the fact is you can't

Do you get it now?

P.S imagine if Regional WA SA and the NT were included

Typical AFL spin.

Question: What is watched more on Australian TV, Rugby League or Aussie Rules?
Answer: Rugby League has superior TV ratings to Aussie Rules

Question: What is watched more on TV around the world? Rugby League or Aussie Rules?
Typicaly response: What's Aussie Rules?
Answer: Rugby League knock out punch in the 1st round.

Now stop with AFL spin, the raw numbers are there and stats don't lie.

Typical AFL spin.

Question: What is watched more on Australian TV, Rugby League or Aussie Rules?
Answer: Rugby League has superior TV ratings to Aussie Rules
did you even read what I wrote rugby League doesn't have superior figures

Question: What is watched more on TV around the world? Rugby League or Aussie Rules?
Typicaly response: What's Aussie Rules?
Answer: Rugby League knock out punch in the 1st round
.:eek: oh dear

Now stop with AFL spin, the raw numbers are there and stats don't lie.[/QUOTE]
exactly my point the raw numbers don't lie. therefore AFL has more viewers. thanks for finally coming round:thumbsu:

Looking at the Rams's first year they averaged 15k which show they had potential despite having a bad team on the field. They should of played all there games at Hindmarash Stadium from the get-go and not at Adelaide Oval. Any oval is bad for rugby league the only exception is the SCG but that's only use for special occasions in rugby league eg Dragons vs Roosters last year. Take into consideration the rental costs at AO compare to Hindmarsh, Hindmarsh would of being an efficeint option for a new team. Hypothetically, they could of went from Hindmarsh to Adelaide once the membership & attendance grew but they went the opposite and went from AO to Hindmarsh.

If super-league didn't happen Adelaide would of being introduced in the late 90's/early 00's and have some form of core support they could grow through cross-code support. Along with Perth we would of have a true national competition jeez league had being cursed with incompetence adminstation and bad decision. I'm even surprised it manage to survive despite all the idiocy and stupidity over the years.

Who who's pouring the 6 million in each year? Who's writing the cheques?

News has a gun pointed at the head of the NRL/ARL and they tell everyone what to do no questions asked.

The money comes from the TV rights that the other 15 NRL teams should get split between them. Not saying the storm shouldn't be helped, far from it actually. But when you have no say in it, well it does come across as a bit of a dictatorship.

News takes 10 million a year from the the NRL, of that 10, 6 goes to the storm and Rups keeps 4 for himself supposedly to pay back money lost from the SL war, a war that he started.

The rich ain't rich for nothing.

did you even read what I wrote rugby League doesn't have superior figures

.:eek: oh dear

exactly my point the raw numbers don't lie. therefore AFL has more viewers. thanks for finally coming round:thumbsu:

You obviously can not comprehend simple intellect.

Rugby League = Higher number of people watching to any other sport in Australia

To do what you are saying, the guy who watched every game of every AFL season should count as 1 ratings overall, fact is it doesn't. It counts every time he watched a game as 1, therefore if he watched two games thats 2 ratings to the AFL to count towards the year total.

See how stupid it sounds when applied?

But like i said you obviously can not comprehend simple intellect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

News has a gun pointed at the head of the NRL/ARL and they tell everyone what to do no questions asked.

The money comes from the TV rights that the other 15 NRL teams should get split between them. Not saying the storm shouldn't be helped, far from it actually. But when you have no say in it, well it does come across as a bit of a dictatorship.

News takes 10 million a year from the the NRL, of that 10, 6 goes to the storm and Rups keeps 4 for himself supposedly to pay back money lost from the SL war, a war that he started.

The rich ain't rich for nothing.

Short answer would be News Ltd. then?

LOL that is rich, the NRL is a dictatorship?

This coming from some AFL fans, just when the AFL just implanted two new teams in areas that didn't ask/want them while ignoring areas wanting them. lol

Short answer would be News Ltd. then?

New limited owns the Storm, they also own half the NRL. News limited are leaving the running of the NRL on April 30. The NRL as a business does NOT give the Storm any extra assistance other NRL teams don't get. News limited as owners of the Storm may do whatever they want with regards to funds.

They owned the Super League which merged with the ARL to become the NRL.

Rugby League is the only sport in this country to ever have held two national competitions in the same year.

It set back Rugby League 15-20 years but (at the time) would have been a lot worse if it was any other sport other then Rugby League.

Hey

On topic I'm wondering back in 1997 what was the general reception from the Adelaide Rams at the time considering if was during Super-league period the worst time for any team to be included into the competition. I'm new to league,afl & union only being watching since 09 so I'm a newbie to watching sport in general. For those users in SA did you think the Rams had potential to succeed in Adelaide and get there niche like the Storm did & the Swans/Lions have in QLD/NSW?.

Overall, 2 years is too short for any team to make instant inroads they needed more time if they were given a extra 5-7 years they would of found there feet & niche in communities same applies to the Western Reds/South QLD Crushers. 2 years is not a real indicator of a team's true potential just like the Swans/Lions they needed more time and given a true chance they were still in there infant stage when they were cut unfortunately.

Hey

On topic I'm wondering back in 1997 what was the general reception from the Adelaide Rams at the time considering if was during Super-league period the worst time for any team to be included into the competition. I'm new to league,afl & union only being watching since 09 so I'm a newbie to watching sport in general. For those users in SA did you think the Rams had potential to succeed in Adelaide and get there niche like the Storm did & the Swans/Lions have in QLD/NSW?.

Overall, 2 years is too short for any team to make instant inroads they needed more time if they were given a extra 5-7 years they would of found there feet & niche in communities same applies to the Western Reds/South QLD Crushers. 2 years is not a real indicator of a team's true potential just like the Swans/Lions they needed more time and given a true chance they were still in there infant stage when they were cut unfortunately.

Hey mate, I'm not from Adelaide but i've support league for 20 years. I have no doubt that if Adelaide was kept in the competition they would be at least as big as the Storm are in Melbourne. If not, bigger. South Australians love their sport all round.

Hey mate, I'm not from Adelaide but i've support league for 20 years. I have no doubt that if Adelaide was kept in the competition they would be at least as big as the Storm are in Melbourne. If not, bigger. South Australians love their sport all round.

Thanks storm fan even though I'm new to league reading about the past about super-league and the missed opportunities league had over the years only to shoot itself in the foot many times is frusuating at time. The game itself deserves better direction and adminstration over the years than what we have today. I wish News Ltd never got it hands on rugby league and a Independent Commission was formed in the 80's to prevent all the stupidity in the first place. Oh, what could of being a true national competition that would of cover almost every capital minus NT & Tas and cities such as Townsville add on the NZ Warriors it would of being the perfect national competition.

LOL that is rich, the NRL is a dictatorship?

This coming from some AFL fans, just when the AFL just implanted two new teams in areas that didn't ask/want them while ignoring areas wanting them. lol

In what way are the implanted teams different to the conception of the Storm? I'd say the Storm have carved out a nice niche for themselves considering all Victorians are apparently anti-NSW and insular. Who's to say that a team in West Sydney will be any different? Certainly the Suns are doing well for a team where no one wants them. 10,500 members before they've even kicked a ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back