Brisbane and Gold Coast will play for the ....... Cup?

Remove this Banner Ad

I vote Ashcroft cup.

Played for the Bears on the Gold Coast, was a legend of the Lions. And is now involved with GC.

What do other people think?

That is a sensational idea.

Ashcroft was also the first Queenslander to play 300 games. Really apart from Voss and Hart, there are no others who played on the Gold Coast, and then well into the Brisbane Lions era, and the fact he was the first to 300 gives it to him easy in my opinion:thumbsu:

The Ashcroft cup is a great idea.

To be honest i am not sure why Marcus hasn't been inducted into the Hall of Fame yet. 318 games and 3 premierships. Was a great player for the Bears/Lions.

He started his career as an oballer, then played as a mobile centre half forward for the bears, moves back onto the ball for a big chunk of his career and then becomes one the games best shut down players of his era.

If he played for a Victorian club he would be considered a great!

AShcroft Cup is good, but what about Merrett Cup.
Roger Merrett was shafted by Lions with end of '98 coaching stint, even though he'd been The Bears captain when they moved from GC to Brisbane.
He even stayed on a year or two too long playing, just to help the struggling franchise.

Ok, the Lions have revamped their opinion of him by naming one of their player awards something Merrett Award, but at the time in '98, along with the club's internal chaos, Roger's image was unfairly tarnished. He didn't return to the Lions for many years, even to visit. And yet, thru all the Bad News Bears, he was playing and the Captain for several, both at GC and Brisbane.

A compromise, of the Merrett-Ashcroft Cup might be more apt.

from wiki re Roger Merrett: to the fledging Brisbane Bears, later captaining the new club for seven seasons. Well known for his fierce, hard attack on the ball and his dashing moustache, he struck fear into the hearts of opposition players over a long career. He is considered by many as the greatest Brisbane Bear in the club's short history.,

The Skase Cup?

We could keep it in Spain.

I like it.

Plus then whenever Gold Coast actually wins one we can stick a ventilator on the cup and claim that it can't be moved from the Gabba for fear of complications. :thumbsu:

Wouldn't the cup be the name of a sponsor like the Showdown and Freo/WCE match (I could be wrong). But the player judged best on ground would win the Marcus Ashcroft medal.

Queensland Showdown I, II.....and so on. Sponsored by Bank of Queensland or Sponsored by XXXX for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:rolleyes: The Polystyrene Cup.

A cheap trophy for sides of little value that crumple under pressure. Officials could simply write the name of the winning team on the cup in permanent marker, prior to awarding it.

I'm liking the Marcus Ashcroft Cup.

The Shaun Hart Shield, perhaps?

Are we bothering with a uber-cool name for "the derby"/"showdown" what have you? Thinking out loud:-

> the Invasion;

> the Duel;

> the Goal Bowl? :eek:

Alright, alright - pretty lame.

Whilst im sure that it wont be a popular choice i wouldnt mind seeing the cup named after Jason Dunstall.

For me he was the first famous QLD footballer (im sure that there will be others pointed out to me).

Given that he has no allegiance to either club there can be hint of bias.

I do like the idea of the cup being named after Ashcroft, however think that it may be a little biased.

The Carrara Cup? After the first home ground for both clubs (Brisbane Bears in the 80's & 90's)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back