Review Round 8, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As far I know, the speccy knee to the head is play-on. Think a free was payed to us unjustified if my interpretation of the rule is correct..
I think you're absolutely correct. Yep, we're all very very serious about protecting players' heads. Unless it's spectacular. Then the head can go and get effed 🤷

I'm starting to worry about all this Occupational Health and Safety(it's all to do with litigation) stuff, you can not eliminate all risk in body contact sports, I am for mitigation of risk but where it ends up is the foreboding question, life in general is a risk.

I take a risk when I go cycling in traffic or trek self sufficiently through the South West Tasmanian wilderness for a week but I assess it on a risk v benefit analysis and I am prepared to take that risk.

AFL will probably more and more start to look like Gaelic Football or even worse AFL Nines.

Doc in round 1 did his ACL at the Gabba.

It probably is all just really really bad luck, but theres probably no harm asking the question.

If we include Will’s late last year, and Doedee injuring his in training there this year, 6 acl’s over 8 games is incredibly bad luck.
Not necessarily arguing, but I'm not a huge fan of the concept of "luck" in this context.

Is there a curse somewhere? Did we not tip somebody when the lads were in Nashville? Do we need to bring in John Safran to investigate?

Logan Morris didn’t bring his boots because he didn’t expect to play (according to Zorko). He should hav though right, he was an emergency after all? He borrowed Will Ashcroft’s boots - was he so professional or ever hopeful of playing? Or just left them in his locker at the change rooms?

I'm starting to worry about all this Occupational Health and Safety(it's all to do with litigation) stuff, you can not eliminate all risk in body contact sports, I am for mitigation of risk but where it ends up is the foreboding question, life in general is a risk.

I take a risk when I go cycling in traffic or trek self sufficiently through the South West Tasmanian wilderness for a week but I assess it on a risk v benefit analysis and I am prepared to take that risk.

AFL will probably more and more start to look like Gaelic Football or even worse AFL Nines.
To be fair, Gaelic football is a bloody good sport and if our game did end up looking similar, well, it could be far worse, put it that way.

To be fair, Gaelic football is a bloody good sport and if our game did end up looking similar, well, it could be far worse, put it that way.
There were a couple of players on holiday I met out here recently and was staggered to learn they don't get paid . What they do get is looked after health/medically wise and it's up to them to get whatever their fame can offer in terms of media gigs , advertising gigs whatever. But they're all amateurs.

There were a couple of players on holiday I met out here recently and was staggered to learn they don't get paid . What they do get is looked after health/medically wise and it's up to them to get whatever their fame can offer in terms of media gigs , advertising gigs whatever. But they're all amateurs.
Yep, and in fact it is written into the laws of the game, that players cannot be paid to play. This is why we see so many Irish in the AFL and AFLW.

Still boggles the mind that this hasn't moved with the times. I recall rugby union facing a similar situation in the 90s. They moved with the times and it arguably saved the sport (just not in this country haha).

Yep, and in fact it is written into the laws of the game, that players cannot be paid to play. This is why we see so many Irish in the AFL and AFLW.

Still boggles the mind that this hasn't moved with the times. I recall rugby union facing a similar situation in the 90s. They moved with the times and it arguably saved the sport (just not in this country haha).
Jack Dyer used to say we played on the smell of the linament.

So many guys in my era who refused offers and stayed loyal , some who were happy to play for nothing.

When professionalism came in to the sport there were a lot of diehards who said it would ruin it . In some ways it has in creating the AFL behemoth and a generation of couch potatoes and others who live vicariously through the overplayed machinations of professional sport in the media.

I guess that's progress.

I must admit I've always felt it's a bit of an indictment on our midfield that Harris Andrews regularly covers the most ground in games for us.

And that Ryan Lester is our fastest player recorded this season! 🤯

View attachment 1981581
Ive argued for years but Froggy isn't slow. His first 5 metres isn't that great, but once he gets up to speed, he's as fast as nearly anyone. Good to see some data backing this up.

Logan Morris didn’t bring his boots because he didn’t expect to play (according to Zorko). He should hav though right, he was an emergency after all? He borrowed Will Ashcroft’s boots - was he so professional or ever hopeful of playing? Or just left them in his locker at the change rooms?

He did leave them in his locker. At Brighton homes arena

Ive argued for years but Froggy isn't slow. His first 5 metres isn't that great, but once he gets up to speed, he's as fast as nearly anyone. Good to see some data backing this up.

He has found a yard of pace the past few years. I think most that exaggerate how slow he is are stirring a certain unhinged poster

He has found a yard of pace the past few years. I think most that exaggerate how slow he is are stirring a certain unhinged poster
In my view he was slower 4 or 5 years ago. He's really worked on his game and his fitness and when we threw him a lifeline in to the backline he seized upon it and didn't hold back in taking risks and giving us more than what we thought would be a stop gap break glass role.

There must be many middling/struggling players who could take inspiration from how he's turned perception around.

In my view he was slower 4 or 5 years ago. He's really worked on his game and his fitness and when we threw him a lifeline in to the backline he seized upon it and didn't hold back in taking risks and giving us more than what we thought would be a stop gap break glass role.

There must be many middling/struggling players who could take inspiration from how he's turned perception around.
IIRC running technique is really important to speed and a lot of people don’t run correctly/efficiently. If he has changed the way he runs then that could account for speeding up at an age where most guys are looking like they might start slowing down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC running technique is really important to speed and a lot of people don’t run correctly/efficiently. If he has changed the way he runs then that could account for speeding up at an age where most guys are looking like they might start slowing down.
He also knows when to go so when he does he looks a lot quicker.

But to me it's his capacity to make a contest out of a hopeless situation and get to the right spots in time to spoil or mark.

Honestly ,I never thought he had that in him.

Nah, this was years ago before said poster began the internet's most unfunny quest for validation. He had that reputation back then. Would have been 2014 maybe when he was playing forward, can't remember the opponent, but remember being impressed by one chase down the wing.

'It is all about litigation' is just a wee bit cynical, but yes there is an element of that. However, if you have had anything to do with someone with a concussion based brain injury - its pretty bad.

Pre social media they just had their problems away from us so we didn't know. And now we do. Very hard to ignore that size problem once you know.

I love a good launch but when I see someone go down like answerth I do feel bad that they are risking everything and I'm enjoying watching. Clearly i do not watch boxing. But boxing at the lower levels is very tightly monitored. Athletes have logs where all competition and training activities and concussions are recorded, so I assume there is time off mandated etc.

I haven't crunched the numbers on last night's red time scoring but I expect us to get a percentage booster on that front (off a low base admittedly). And we also only just lost the last quarter 14-16 which was pretty meritorious all things considered.

My knee jerk reaction is "what on earth have we been doing other weeks to run out of puff so badly", but maybe Sharp's inclusion really does make that much difference? If it's the latter he can play the rest of the season as far as I'm concerned, regardless of form almost.

To be honest I think having a couple of young super fit guys that can run all day helps take a bit of the defensive workload off the rest of the team, watching sharp and lohmann run all over the field last night and put pressure on st contests at both ends was great. Ah Chee should give us even more of that if he comes back in.

Getting team composition right slowly I think; hate to say it but maybe with some of these forced changes due to injury it will get us out of our rut.

To be honest I think having a couple of young super fit guys that can run all day helps take a bit of the defensive workload off the rest of the team, watching sharp and lohmann run all over the field last night and put pressure on st contests at both ends was great. Ah Chee should give us even more of that if he comes back in.

Getting team composition right slowly I think; hate to say it but maybe with some of these forced changes due to injury it will get us out of our rut.
Snap, wrote the same but not as well in another thread just now.

I don’t think so, I think it will end up being as part of your entrance into the league you’ll have to accept some level of risk in term of the inherent risk involved with playing a contact sport like AFL.

To get to that point though the league will have to go a decent way to ACTUALLY making inroads in terms of mitigation - ie pissing off Michael Christian and fixing the MRO so that it actually punishes dangerous actions, having independent doctors on the ground at games so that sh*t like the Liberatore incident from yesterday do not happen, etc etc.

Currently a waiver thing wouldn’t work because the AFL are doing the bare minimum required, but that will change.

To be honest I’d be as shocked as he was. Fort was also an emergency and was held over from the VFL game, so he’d have assumed he was first up if a tall needed to come out; and if it was anyone else it probably wouldn’t be him anyway.

Was a wild decision to have him be sub honestly, but someone above said they had a feeling the club were as keen to get him out there as we all were, and I’m inclined to agree.

I can't think of another sport though where a knee to the back of the head is acceptable, even MMA the back of the head is off limits. I understand the speccie and it's place in our game, but do feel that saying 'no knee to the back of the head' should be introduced. One day someone will die on field, or be instantly paralysed by that impact, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

Watched the replay last night and Harry Sharp played a seriously good game on the wing. Didn't notice him much at all live, but Harry was so disciplined with his running, pressure and physicality. He looks much stronger physically which I'd noticed at VFL level, but didn't expect it to carry over to AFL level in the form of confidence to barrell into opponents. Was great to see.

I also thought having Sharp on the wing all game gave some really nice flexibility in terms of how we could use Fletcher. He was able to spend meaningful time behind the ball and even took some kick outs.

I would not be dropping Sharp any time soon if he can make this sort of game the standard, and frankly if he can do this without taking a break on the pine I don't see why he can't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 8, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Back