Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 85 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So my source sent a text today saying the club in its preliminary talks are leaning more toward Barker at the moment due to his pure, recent coaching credentials, but the AFL are pushing the Fagen thing very hard. Was surprised to hear that.

So my source sent a text today saying the club in its preliminary talks are leaning more toward Barker at the moment due to his pure, recent coaching credentials, but the AFL are pushing the Fagen thing very hard. Was surprised to hear that.
If true... I'm not.
There could be an issue with two head chef's in the kitchen so to speak.
With Noble already coming in.... we feel we need a pure coaching candidate to come in. Maybe some of the value Fagen brings is redundant now...
Having said that; I would still prefer Fagen.... he knows what coaching success looks like better than Noble or Barker

Interesting. Gill was a bit evasive on 360 when asked for specifics about how much influence they had over staff picks in times like these. I suspect though its a case of... you are a basket case, our money, our choice. Which is probably fair enough. Fagan's CV just looks so good.

A bit of a concern if we aren't toeing the AFL line (or towing, take your choice). I think this is one instance when they are actually acting in our best interests and potentially saving us from ourselves. We need to just get it right, or have them get it right for us.

I am still fairly confident that the right decision will be made re. our coach and from there the right trading etc. will follow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, It's time again for everyone's favourite just invented forum game 'etymological discussion'.

I have always assumed that the expression was 'toe the line' ie keep your toes behind the line, don't overstep the mark etc, but the above raises the possibility that it could be something more nautical ie 'towing a line' as in a Tow rope, what are people's thoughts? What does google say?, once we've decided on the correct saying how can we disseminate that info more widely.
It is toe the line and it is an old boxing saying from pre ring days where the round ended on a knockdown and to start the next round they had to put their toe on a line to indicate they were willing to continue.

Why would the AFL be pushing Fagan, given that it's Barker who has completed the AFL's Level Four accreditation course?

Greg Swann has stated it will be the Brisbane Lions board that will be making the appointment, on the recommendation of the coaching selection panel. He was insistent that the AFL would not be making the appointment.

Why would the AFL be pushing Fagan, given that it's Barker who has completed the AFL's Level Four accreditation course?

Because there may be an acknowledgement that our situation is uniquely precarious and needs a particularly unique type of coach.

Greg Swann has stated it will be the Brisbane Lions board that will be making the appointment, on the recommendation of the coaching selection panel. He was insistent that the AFL would not be making the appointment.
Because there may be an acknowledgement that our situation is uniquely precarious and needs a particularly unique type of coach.
what are the chances they could both end up here next year? Fagan as the senior coach and Barker as a senior assistant. if a senior job opens up elsewhere in 2018 Barker would be free to leave having gained more valuable experience working under Noble and Fagan. same could be said for any of the level 4 coaches.

what are the chances they could both end up here next year? Fagan as the senior coach and Barker as a senior assistant. if a senior job opens up elsewhere in 2018 Barker would be free to leave having gained more valuable experience working under Noble and Fagan. same could be said for any of the level 4 coaches.

This. Why are they the only 2 left on our radar? If everyone else has walked away, what has been said to baker to make him keep his hat in the ring?

Something like this may very well be on the cards.

Swann can make media statements all he likes about who makes the decisions, but I think we all know the AFL is running the show right now, and if we want their help (in the way of footy Dept funding + PP + new facilities) then we will go with it. You seem to genuinely believe that the statements coming from the club RE Coaching appointments and trading speculation, but I think it would be foolish to think there isn't plenty happening away from the media eyes

Swann can make media statements all he likes about who makes the decisions, but I think we all know the AFL is running the show right now, and if we want their help (in the way of footy Dept funding + PP + new facilities) then we will go with it.

How do we know that the AFL is 'running the show'? And I distinguish between 'running the show' and having input / giving advice. There's a difference.

Swann on the AFL 'running the show'. (In other words making the decisions, including selecting the coach)

"That's not right either. We certainly spoke to the AFL...we spoke to a whole lot of people about when we're putting our [coaches] list together - they've [the AFL] obviously got experience around the whole competition. We originally had a list of 30 prospective coaches that we were going to talk to and we sort of whittled those down and they [the AFL] had some input into it. But it's definitely us....So, it's certainly our [the Brisbane Lions] decision...there's no AFL person on that [coach selection] panel."

Now you can choose to believe or not believe Swann. But that's what he's said.

How do we know that the AFL is 'running the show'? And I distinguish between 'running the show' and having input / giving advice. There's a difference.

Swann on the AFL 'running the show'. (In other words making the decisions, including selecting the coach)

"That's not right either. We certainly spoke to the AFL...we spoke to a whole lot of people about when we're putting our [coaches] list together - they've [the AFL] obviously got experience around the whole competition. We originally had a list of 30 prospective coaches that we were going to talk to and we sort of whittled those down and they [the AFL] had some input into it. But it's definitely us....So, it's certainly our [the Brisbane Lions] decision...there's no AFL person on that [coach selection] panel."

Noble's two radio interviews the other day made it very clear the AFL are playing a very heavy role.

Agreed.

We need an experienced football person to work with Noble to move this club forward.
Barker & co, even if they completed a level 5+ would still fall well short of that.
Obviously a team of Fagan with Barker & Kingsley as assistant coaches would be ideal with our young developing team.

IMO they are clearly driving right now. And I'm not saying Swann is lying in the quote you referenced by any stretch, but you can read between the lines.

Nothing comes for free in the AFL, certainly not some form of PP, increased AFL funding, covering of our debt and assistance with finding coaches and funds for new training facilities. Conversation probably went something like "now we won't make the decisions, but if you want to continue to receive our help we expect the decisions to be acceptable from an AFL perspective."

There have been articles suggesting that if it is fagan they will appoint a a senior assistant with current experience in the game who is highly rated. One article did mention both fagan and barker coming (although that seems unlikely to me) would think it's more likely we get someone wanting a different experience to add to their cv like Montgomery (he's the one sacked by the Bulldogs yeah?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Brisbane Lions 2017 Coach is Chris Fagan

Back