Club Focus Brisbane Lions 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Could be a big turnover there.

Cockatoo mathieson and lester all gone you would think. Adams a concussion retirement i assume.
Zorko and rich possible retirements.
Fort at his age is a potential delist (although i suppose it depends if you grab another ruck).
Robertson asks for a trade if he isnt best 22 imo.

Could be a big turnover there.

Cockatoo mathieson and lester all gone you would think. Adams a concussion retirement i assume.
Zorko and rich possible retirements.
Fort at his age is a potential delist (although i suppose it depends if you grab another ruck).
Robertson asks for a trade if he isnt best 22 imo.
id be suprised if we didnt offer fort another contract. only turns 30 later in the year which isnt too old for a ruck, and unless one of the young players on the list overtakes him hes still the clear best replacement for mcinerney in the side

agree with the rest

e: our club board contract status thread has fort contracted until next year. think footywire might have got that one wrong

Last edited:
id be suprised if we didnt offer fort another contract. only turns 30 later in the year which isnt too old for a ruck, and unless one of the young players on the list overtakes him hes still the clear best replacement for mcinerney in the side

agree with the rest

e: our club board contract status thread has fort contracted until next year. think footywire might have got that one wrong
I was going to make mention that there is usually an error within the Footy wire info.

Last edited:
Is there a list of who is out of contract at Lions end of 2023?

agree with the rest

He only (fort) had 2 years from what i was aware. I agree as youre in the window you maybe keep him but any 30yo who is a fringe player is vulnerable. I agree the others are obvious delists (sad on nakia but his body is not there). Do you think fullarton survives? I imagine he is 50/50?

He only (fort) had 2 years from what i was aware. I agree as youre in the window you maybe keep him but any 30yo who is a fringe player is vulnerable. I agree the others are obvious delists (sad on nakia but his body is not there). Do you think fullarton survives? I imagine he is 50/50?
fullarton showed some OK development in the vfl last year, but id imagine his best chance at not being delisted would be to seize the backup ruck mantle from fort. doesnt have the craft to make it as a forward imo. training with the backline this preseason from reports, so might also be able to find a future there. just signed joyce today as with adams career likely over, kpd's has become our most scarce commodity by far, so there will be opportunity for fullarton in that role if he shows positive signs and one of our defenders goes down (very likely in gardiner's case unfortunately).

According to Danny Daly interview at time of recruitment (late 2021) deal wads for 3 years.

I really think we need to make a play on a big name key defender. Andrews needs some help with Adams looking unlikely to return. Joyce has been ok but would imagine we will be in the market.

I really think we need to make a play on a big name key defender. Andrews needs some help with Adams looking unlikely to return. Joyce has been ok but would imagine we will be in the market.
im very happy with joyce so far. early days obviously but payne + joyce seem to have a great combination of attributes that are allowing andrews to go back to his natural game of floating off and intercepting rather than playing man on man. more depth would be desirable with how injury prone gardiner is, but think going to the draft (either msd or nd) to grab a young developing kpf would be the thing most needed for our list currently. trading out our future first to get back into the first round of this years draft might be a good idea with levi ashcroft in 2024

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg would be perfect. 3rd tall in defense next to Payne and Andrews, elite kick, can play a role forward if needed.

fullarton showed some OK development in the vfl last year, but id imagine his best chance at not being delisted would be to seize the backup ruck mantle from fort. doesnt have the craft to make it as a forward imo. training with the backline this preseason from reports, so might also be able to find a future there. just signed joyce today as with adams career likely over, kpd's has become our most scarce commodity by far, so there will be opportunity for fullarton in that role if he shows positive signs and one of our defenders goes down (very likely in gardiner's case unfortunately).
What's the current view on Tom Fullarton? He's been kicking some goals at VFL level and has been overlooked for Fort this week. Out of contract ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Brisbane Lions 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back