Club Focus Brisbane Lions 2024 - in search of another KPF?

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

we have our first round pick and F1st not that we need a forward rhat will be out for the whole of 25 i think your foggotten that we got ASHCROFT and Fletcher in the one draft
I don't think lions need an A grade player to replace Daniher. They will get improvement from younger players, Casboult or Day are ok for a year or 2. If they end up with more midfield players than needed, trade on for a Forward.
Possibly JUH would be available.
Or try to get Jack Darling, he probably enjoys winning more than at North.

Last edited:
It came about in a few different stages, but was basically completed as a result of the switch to full professionalism with the advent of the AFL in the early 90's. Prior to that, especially in the 70's and 80's when clubs were going broke, if a player was no longer any good, the clubs just stopped playing them so they didn't have to give them match payments, which made up the majority of the payments from clubs to players at the time.

Back then, the players would just retire and switch to their other job and would walk over into their other career without any real loss of earnings.

With the switch to full time professionalism (which actually started a little bit before the VFL became the AFL) that changed. Players no longer had other careers to fall back on. So as more players became professional, this became more of a problem, until the whole league as full time professional with the formation of the AFL. With the newly formed AFLPA ( it originally began as the VFLPA sometime in the 70's) the players pushed to have their contracts honoured until completion no matter what, and to move away from a heavy match payment structure and more guaranteed money. They were giving up careers in their 20's and 30's to play footy professionally, they had nothing to fall back on, so they needed protection. That system has stayed in place to this day. There were threats of strikes, the league tried union busting tactics, the whole shebang back in that period.

While most players see out their contracts and retire at completion, as a result of those negations all those years ago, any retiring player who retires while contracted is still entitled to the remainder of that contract, unless otherwise negotiated between the club and player.

Since then, the AFLPA has also negotiated a superannuation fund a retired players fund to help players transition away from full time football when their time comes.

The history of the AFL and the AFLPA is actually really interesting.
But I'm coming to the conclusion that BigFooty probably isn't the place to have those discussions. So I'll just leave it be.

That makes some sense back when players were getting paid peanuts and we didnt have a $17 million dollar salary cap and players earning close to a million dollars per season

If a player decides to quit mid contract or with a year to run I would be stunned if that meant they were entitled to a full contract payout in the millions. Commercially and logically makes absolutely no sense. Who gets paid to quit a contract because they simply didnt feel like forfilling it? Medically retiring early I get. But not quiting when you can physically play on.

Listening to the radio the other day and they commented on how much information on social media was factually correct.

I guessed 5%. They reported it was around 2%.

You may be correct for back in the day players weren't protected with modern commercial contracts and paid big salaries. Would be astounded if clubs and the AFL agrees to paying out contracts early in full because a player loses the desire to turn up to work.

Last edited:

I don't think lions need an A grade player to replace Daniher. They will get improvement from younger players, Casboult or Day are ok for a year or 2. If they end up with more midfield players than needed, trade on for a Forward.
Possibly JUH would be available.
Or try to get Jack Darling, he probably enjoys winning more than at North.

A bizarre drive-by

They 100% need another mid to late 20s, or even early 30s key forward, especially whislt Neale is still playing at an elite level.

The midfield is extraordinary. They need something to kick to at all times.

Brody Mihocek i would ask the question of.

A first round pick is probably overs, but the Pies would look at it due to having no picks.

They 100% need another mid to late 20s, or even early 30s key forward, especially whislt Neale is still playing at an elite level.

A first round pick is probably overs, but the Pies would look at it due to having no picks.
Brisbane are not trading their first round pick, this year or next, for a veteran. They need picks to match bids on F/S and academy prospects. I doubt they even trade their future second for one either.

I don’t think we will do anything this season. And we certainly don’t need to panic. Too many f/s and academy picks. And with Levi in the squad next year + Coleman + any of Smith, Doedee, Gardiner, McCarthy etc I think we are fine.

Will probably look at someone for 2026.

This has already been covered in quite some detail in February and June and the Angus Brayshaw decision around concussion related retirement.

As I said on my first post, in my second sentence, unless he waives all of his money next year they'll still be on the hook for it, though I'd imagine he'll accept a partial payout, a negotiated financial settlement, the club stays on the hook for the money.
Daniher and the Lions came to an agreement, and Daniher was happy to walk away without taking any money, but that financial settlement has to be negotiated every time a player retires with money remaining on his contract.

The only exceptions to this situation were introduced in June with the Brayshaw concussion retirement ruling.

When Brayshaw first announced his retirement, he had 3 million remaining on his contract, and club and player had to enter negotiations.

It was discussed in this Bigfooty thread starting from Page 10 - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/angus-brayshaw-retires.1377241/page-8#post-82441805

It was discussed quite a bit at the time of his retirement, that concussion payouts might eventually sit outside the cap.

Channel Nine reports the AFL, Brayshaw's manager and the club have entered into negotiations over who will pay out the $3 million sum remaining.

Melbourne will most likely apply to the AFL for a dispensation to allow the majority of the estimated total be paid outside of the salary cap.

For AFL players affected, the guidelines have two key features – the ability to gradually pay the negotiated financial settlement with the player over the period of the contract and also maximum thresholds of salary cap relief within three years following the retirement.

In the year immediately following the retirement, the max threshold will be 90 per cent, the second year the max threshold will be 75 per cent and in the third year the max threshold will be 50 per cent.

But the AFL has said longer contracts beyond three years will not come under the guidelines.

"No relief will generally be provided with regards to TPP (total player payments) commitments that extend four years or longer following the year of retirement. Clubs should ensure that this is appropriately factored into the risk assessment processes undertaken for player contracts that extend over four years," the AFL statement said.

"The guidelines are only applicable in the specific circumstance of retirement occurring subject to a recommendation being made by the AFL concussion panel. Retirements due to other injuries, or decisions made unilaterally by the player or the club, will be subject to existing TPP assessment rules.

Most players see out their final years, but those that retire early still have rights to be paid, and those payouts have to be negotiated every time.

Other examples are Dayne Beams - https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...p/news-story/5494e4a09b0313c456e92b127ee4ea73
Kurt Tippett - https://www.afl.com.au/news/139309/contract-quirk-swans-delist-retired-ruck-plan-to-rookie-him

And if the contract they retire midway through is the contract they signed as part of Free Agency, that contract cannot be renegotiated and the whole thing sits within the cap. This was first applied to Lance Franklin's Free Agency deal, and applies to all Free Agency deals since.

I know you probably won't believe me, and that's your choice.
But just know that Joe Daniher saying to the Lions that he doesn't want a payout is the 2nd biggest thing he ever did for the club after winning the Premiership for them. He hasn't just walked away from the contract, he has completely freed the Lions from paying the money, a choice only he could make.

More nonsense with a healthy dose of misdirection thrown in!

Daniher is not injured so none of that is relevant - please stop posting anything related to injury…it’s a cynical attempt to co fuse and distract and you’re not doing a very good of it.

The article you posted shows that you’re entirely wrong and probably just a troll who’s been called out and exposed:

“Retirements due to other injuries, or decisions made unilaterally by the player or the club, will be subject to existing TPP assessment rules.”

This is purely a voluntary retirement…no physical or mental injuries or issues making it difficult or impossible for him to play…just plain old: “I’ve had enough of footy and I’m ready to call time”

There is simply no way this is a unilateral decision by club and player - it’s absurd of you to imply otherwise… this is purely a voluntary cancellation of the contract by one party a year before it was complete.

I’ve said above that if the club want to make a goodwill, ‘thank you’ gesture to Joe in the form of a cheeky cheque then that would be subject to the cap

But don’t come on here saying the Lions are obligated to pay him out AND that it’s compulsorily under the cap…go away, spread your rubbish trolling elsewhere.

It came about in a few different stages, but was basically completed as a result of the switch to full professionalism with the advent of the AFL in the early 90's. Prior to that, especially in the 70's and 80's when clubs were going broke, if a player was no longer any good, the clubs just stopped playing them so they didn't have to give them match payments, which made up the majority of the payments from clubs to players at the time.

Back then, the players would just retire and switch to their other job and would walk over into their other career without any real loss of earnings.

With the switch to full time professionalism (which actually started a little bit before the VFL became the AFL) that changed. Players no longer had other careers to fall back on. So as more players became professional, this became more of a problem, until the whole league as full time professional with the formation of the AFL. With the newly formed AFLPA ( it originally began as the VFLPA sometime in the 70's) the players pushed to have their contracts honoured until completion no matter what, and to move away from a heavy match payment structure and more guaranteed money. They were giving up careers in their 20's and 30's to play footy professionally, they had nothing to fall back on, so they needed protection. That system has stayed in place to this day. There were threats of strikes, the league tried union busting tactics, the whole shebang back in that period.

While most players see out their contracts and retire at completion, as a result of those negations all those years ago, any retiring player who retires while contracted is still entitled to the remainder of that contract, unless otherwise negotiated between the club and player.

Since then, the AFLPA has also negotiated a superannuation fund a retired players fund to help players transition away from full time football when their time comes.

The history of the AFL and the AFLPA is actually really interesting.
But I'm coming to the conclusion that BigFooty probably isn't the place to have those discussions. So I'll just leave it be.

Utter nonsense.

I don’t think we will do anything this season. And we certainly don’t need to panic. Too many f/s and academy picks. And with Levi in the squad next year + Coleman + any of Smith, Doedee, Gardiner, McCarthy etc I think we are fine.

Will probably look at someone for 2026.

Yeah i disagree.

None of those names move the needle in terms of scoring power.

3 years left of Neale, with next year probably his last at the top top level of midfielders.

Cant waste it.

Yeah i disagree.

3 years left of Neale, with next year probably his last at the top top level of midfielders.

Cant waste it.

You can't just replace Joe. And we have no currency to bring in anyone who would move the needle in that role.

We won the flag ranked 15th for accuracy (most of the H&A we were ranked 17th) and were something like 5 points away from finishing 1st after the H&A. If we improve efficiency and conversion to mid-table we will be fine.

The likes of Cameron, Rayner, Bailey, McCarthy, Hipwood, Morris, Lohmann and Ah Chee are a decent squad of players up forward. And I suspect Levi will play some half forward as well.

Yeah i disagree.

Cant waste it.
The Lions played their football this season with a smaller forward line they don't necessary need another tall forward improvement likely comes from Morris and Lohmann and bringing Linc back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 10k means nothing and the future club legend will be given more than that when he re signs

Its all about making sure you get the best players at your club , Bid on Ashcroft wipe out their entire points so they cant go into deficit enough to take Marshall.

End result would mean by bidding on Ashcroft we get marshall
You dont see that ?

$10k for finishing #1 means nothing? Tell that to your ultra-competitive young athlete who never earned a cent from football 😂

you ignored what I wrote above so you either know I’m right or didn’t understand it - either way it’s not my job to explain why Richmond wouldn’t want to sign an interstate player against their will and burn a bridge with the club offering to turn all of their 3rd and 4th rounders into the last top 20 pick

Go back to dreaming of petty and short sighted wins with unintended consequences!

$10k for finishing #1 means nothing? Tell that to your ultra-competitive young athlete who never earned a cent from football 😂

you ignored what I wrote above so you either know I’m right or didn’t understand it - either way it’s not my job to explain why Richmond wouldn’t want to sign an interstate player against their will and burn a bridge with the club offering to turn all of their 3rd and 4th rounders into the last top 20 pick

Go back to dreaming of petty and short sighted wins with unintended consequences!
$10k does mean nothing to a player drafted with number #2 if thats what happens
very easy for a team like Richmond to make that up with some media stuff or even just add an extra bonus to his contract extension. Signing an interstate player that already lives and plays in melbourne

But if he becomes the player he is projecting then he is well worth taking i.e Reid
A club will always be confident on keeping the player and the same things were said about Ben King and he was a monty to come back to mebourne when his 1st contract was up

$10k does mean nothing to a player drafted with number #2 if thats what happens
very easy for a team like Richmond to make that up with some media stuff or even just add an extra bonus to his contract extension. Signing an interstate player that already lives and plays in melbourne

But if he becomes the player he is projecting then he is well worth taking i.e Reid
A club will always be confident on keeping the player and the same things were said about Ben King and he was a monty to come back to mebourne when his 1st contract was up

What topic do you think you’re responding to?

Wright is gettable but he is also shit.

I mean we just need him to at the very least contest the mark to get the ball to the ground, then Lohmann, Rayner, Ah Chee, Charlie, Bailey etc an do something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Brisbane Lions 2024 - in search of another KPF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back