Brisbane Lions Outdrawn By 'Scooby-Doo'

Remove this Banner Ad

Courier-Mail = News Ltd = Brisbane Broncos.

You've ruined any credibility you might have had by quoting them.

Anyway, AFL being the No.2 rating primetime show in QLD is fantastic.

Courier-Mail = News Ltd = FoxSports = Co-Broadcaster of the AFL

The Bulldogs v Lions fixture was not the no.2 rating primetime show in QLD on Saturday night either....

Courier-Mail = News Ltd = Brisbane Broncos.

You've ruined any credibility you might have had by quoting them.

Anyway, AFL being the No.2 rating primetime show in QLD is fantastic.

Yep just like News/Herald Sun are still flogging the dead in the water Storm thugby team that they own in Melbourne - but ofcourse never mention that fact to their stupid readers.:thumbsdown:

Courier-Mail = News L

td = FoxSports = Co-Broadcaster of the AFL

The Bulldogs v Lions fixture was not the no.2 rating primetime show in QLD on Saturday night either....

Hey foolish one! you should be more concerned about the PATHETIC crowds your supposed "most popular code in Sydney" is getting this season. There was only a couple of thousand for a game at Aussie Stadium last week.:D

Le kook. What is your take on the anti Lions behavior of Andrew Hamilton, the Courier Mails chief AFL writer?

John, I have heard rumors of some recent developments in the 'Hamilton V Lions' feud. Something to do with a video posted on the CM website?

I know we have had some discussions concerning this issue in the past, and as such I would be interested to hear your thoughts on what has recently transpired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come off it mate... News Ltd own a chunk of the NRL and several NRL franchises, Fox sports (which is only 1/4 owned by News Ltd) is a co-broadcaster of AFL. You can hardly compare the two.

Yes, we all know News Ltd. have their corporate 'hands' in a lot of pies.

However, if you are articulating the argument that News Ltd. make a decision to publicly denigrate the Brisbane Lions in Brisbane in order to artificially 'prop up' the perceived support of Rugby League (and the Brisbane Broncos), well, this recent article may surprise you:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6102956

More than a decade ago, News Corp.'s Australian unit struck a marketing agreement with the Australian Football League in which some of News Corp.'s Australian papers promised a minimum amount of news coverage of the sport, according to the AFL and News Corp. Promising coverage in return for anything of value is forbidden by many publications, which regard it as advertising masquerading as news. A group led by a News Corp. unit later won rights to televise league games for several years.

John Hartigan, chairman of News Corp.'s Australian unit, News Ltd., says he sees no problem with the arrangement. ''All it was is a matter of allowing them to be guaranteed that the sport would be covered in the newspaper.''
I'd ask for 'finders' and 'grayham' to strongly condemn the actions of the AFL, considering they are so morally outraged by 'sweetheart deals' in the sports section of the local tabloid...

Yes, we all know News Ltd. have their corporate 'hands' in a lot of pies.

However, if you are articulating the argument that News Ltd. make a decision to publicly denigrate the Brisbane Lions in Brisbane in order to artificially 'prop up' the perceived support of Rugby League (and the Brisbane Broncos), well, this recent article may surprise you:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6102956

I'd ask for 'finders' and 'grayham' to strongly condemn the actions of the AFL, considering they are so morally outraged by 'sweetheart deals' in the sports section of the local tabloid...

Of course Rupert Murdoch, being a Victorian/ South Australian boy would be proud of Australia's game and would want to see it prosper :)

Why is it that a Rugby League fan in Le Kook always comes on the AFL board and posts primarily in anti-AFL threads........although you do a good job at stirring the pot.

The figure was decent, i think Le Kook is jealous that the lazy ARL people can't get off their arses to promote the game outside their heartlands, at least the AFL have some balls to show the Lions games live against the gate into SEQ even though they get fairly bad ratings.

It seems like a poor ploy to rubbish the AFL/Lions......worry about your own backyard.

Why is it that a Rugby League fan in Le Kook always comes on the AFL board and posts primarily in anti-AFL threads.

Interesting that you should raise this issue Ricardo considering the rules of the Rugby League board here at Big Footy for AFL fans.

3. No "anti League" threads to be started.

This ones for the AFL fans, don't be a jackass and come onto this board and start trouble with the League fans who do visit this board. Any "trolling" will not only be removed, but you'll be banned from this board and we the mods will also consider requesting that you have your access to the other parts of this site blocked for a period of time. Also League fans this doesn't give you the right however to start treads that "bait" AFL fans on here either.

Course of action by mods: Removal of threads and lifetime bannings issued.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174185

John, I have heard rumors of some recent developments in the 'Hamilton V Lions' feud. Something to do with a video posted on the CM website?

I know we have had some discussions concerning this issue in the past, and as such I would be interested to hear your thoughts on what has recently transpired.

The video that you refer to was a rather sad attempt at comedy that failed by two not very funny people. My take, and it is only an opinion that I have no hard facts to back, is that Hamilton may not be liked due to the Akermanis breakdown last year. Remember Mathews telling Hamilton at a press conference to ask Akermanis for the answer to his question as he spoke to him more than he did? In the Video the not very funny duo gave the Lions the 2 fingered salute. Could you imagine the club not be annoyed at the only newspaper in town for that? I could not imagine this happening in say Geelong. I suspect that the relationship has broken down due to the club being footy orientated, as they should be, and the Courier Mail liking the gossip style that Akermanis gave them. They are a tabloid after all. Rubbish sells.

I don't believe that the Courier Mail is anti AFL per se. I do think that they are anti the Brisbane Lions though. That is an opinion only.

BTW thanks for the description of that Andrew Hamilton incident John.

Well, if you were Andrew Hamilton, and the Brisbane Lions cut loose the bloke who generated the vast bulk of your 'copy' for the paper - I think you would be a little negative on the joint as well.

BTW thanks for the description of that Andrew Hamilton incident John.

Well, if you were Andrew Hamilton, and the Brisbane Lions cut loose the bloke who generated the vast bulk of your 'copy' for the paper - I think you would be a little negative on the joint as well.

Agree. I do think that the C/Mail needs to move on and send Hamilton elsewhere. Nick The Pieman should be recruited. Even though he is a Collingwood supporter he has a reputation among the Lions supporters as fair and also gives the AFLQ a go. Hamilton does none of this. He is a on the nose. I voted with my wallet a few years back anyway and no longer buy the CM. I only see what is written if someone shows me or points me to an online link.

Not if I prided myself on my professionalism. AH can not realistically expect the Brisbane Lions to make decisions on personell based on pleasing AH.

Other clubs would not have given Aker such free reign. AH should be grateful that he got as much 'copy' as he did, rather than sulking when it gets taken away from him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane Lions Outdrawn By 'Scooby-Doo'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back