Brisbane Lions Outdrawn By 'Scooby-Doo'

Remove this Banner Ad

Having a closer look at the Brisbane ratings for that night, seems Scooby Doo was far more dominant than could be expected - not only did it beat the AFL, but also the rugby union international.
Scooby Doo rated 182,000, the rugby 153,000 and the AFL 123,000. (source) More commercial FTA viewers watched sport than non-sport programming, although the sporting audience was split. And the AFL, even though it didn't beat the rugby, was more than competitive - and that would have been unthinkable just a couple of years ago, when a Wallabies game would have wiped the AFL's ratings out.

What Andrew Hamilton failed to pick up on, and neither did any other journo that I've seen, is that Scooby Doo also beat the rugby in Sydney, 263,000 to 256,000. There was no AFL on FTA in Sydney on Saturday night; but in rugby heartland for the Wallabies to be beaten by Scooby Doo is a bad result for the rugby.

Having a closer look at the Brisbane ratings for that night, seems Scooby Doo was far more dominant than could be expected - not only did it beat the AFL, but also the rugby union international.
Scooby Doo rated 182,000, the rugby 153,000 and the AFL 123,000. (source) More commercial FTA viewers watched sport than non-sport programming, although the sporting audience was split. And the AFL, even though it didn't beat the rugby, was more than competitive - and that would have been unthinkable just a couple of years ago, when a Wallabies game would have wiped the AFL's ratings out.

What Andrew Hamilton failed to pick up on, and neither did any other journo that I've seen, is that Scooby Doo also beat the rugby in Sydney, 263,000 to 256,000. There was no AFL on FTA in Sydney on Saturday night; but in rugby heartland for the Wallabies to be beaten by Scooby Doo is a bad result for the rugby.
Young Andrew fails to pick up on a lot of things.

Barry Dick is a tool of the highest order. It has been his personal agenda to bag Aussie Rules.
Has been for years.

Instead of ragging on about the game he obviously loves (league) in his columns in the Courier-Mail,
every now and then he has a snipe at the AFL. Obviously paranoid.

Anyone notice whoever does the sports pictures in the CM too tends to have the AFL pictures in suggestive homosexual poses.
ie.. one ruckmen behind the other one pulling his face like he is about to blow. Cracks me up.
It has been happening for years in that newspaper.

Sounds a hell of a lot better than the 9,000 the NRL averaged in Perth on Sunday between 2 and 4pm.

:eek:

I assumed that game was shown at midnight, or thereabouts.

I'll throw it out before a troll takes it.

St.kilda v North got 8,000 viewers (the game started around 11:30pm by all accounts).

I don't believe that the Courier Mail is anti AFL per se. I do think that they are anti the Brisbane Lions though. That is an opinion only.

I share it John.

In today's CM, Hammo is banging on about Scooby-Doo being a ratings "bonanza" for 9, the "defensive mindset of the Lions being a turn-off for fans who are voting with their feet and the TV remote"

Translation-
The Lions suck and are turning away the fans who would rather watch a replay of Scooby-Doo than watch them play live or on TV.

Then:
" Saturday night's clash disintegrating into a yawn-fest as the Lions pushed numbers behind the ball forcing the Bulldogs to chip the ball back and forth among each other in their defensive end"

Translation-

The evil Lions, despite being 50+ points down in the third quarter, managed to force the Bulldogs into a style of play that bored everyone shitless.

No mention of the fact that the Rodney Eade himself expressed great satisfaction that the Dogs deliberately and successfully tried to take time off the clock, being fearful of being overrun in the last quarter, due to a decimated bench ( I heard Eade make this comment in his after match interview on NIRS)

Then:
"Two prolonged periods of uncontested kicking practice elicited boos from the crowd but Matthews is unrepentant"'

Translation-

All the booing in the match , was about the style of footy being played and (by inference) it was all Leigh Matthews' fault, who is still "unrepentant" despite ruining the game as a spectacle.

Fact: Nearly all the "booing" in the match was directed at Hammo's love-child , J Akermanis

This is disgraceful stuff from Hammo and he should hang his head in shame.

You would have thought so, given the appallingly bad rating.

But no, middle of the afternoon. I'd bet that Ukranian News on SBS kicked it's arse.

You speak as though a result of 9K was not anticipated...

NRL matches have rated as 'good' as 20K in Perth this year (which of course is poor), but considering that a Perth-based team will not be seen in the NRL competition until at least 2012, coupled with the fact that advertising and promotion of the NRL 'brand' (and frankly Rugby League in general) in Perth is non-existent - what ratings would one expect?

Sunday and Saturday afternoon AFL fixtures between 'foreign' teams regularly rate between 50K - 60K in Brisbane. On June 3rd the figure was 48K. Considering the promotion, advertising and money thrown at the Sth-East QLD region by the AFL is that an acceptable result? That's not for me to judge...

Nice to see you back Kooky:thumbsu:...you know my usual response is to ask you what you thought of the actual footy played...but the last time I did that you told us that you couldn't believe Tim Notting was still not dropped from the team (while having a career best year), so i've thought better this time. Seriously mate, if you don't enjoy Aussie Rules, then perhaps you shouldn't post on the forum.

How about we discuss an issue much more up your alley, what do you think the problem is with the Bronc's this year? They look a shadow of the side from last season. Of course I haven't been able to watch much, but what has happened to them in such a short time? Surely can't be just injuries? Oh, and go you Qlder!:thumbsu:

The only worst thing than a soccer fan (ie me) trying to put down AFL on an AFL forum, is an NRL fan. Piss poor argument Kook, I mean, can the NRL ever get over 20k to a match? Soooo sad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to see you back Kooky:thumbsu:...you know my usual response is to ask you what you thought of the actual footy played...but the last time I did that you told us that you couldn't believe Tim Notting was still not dropped from the team (while having a career best year), so i've thought better this time. Seriously mate, if you don't enjoy Aussie Rules, then perhaps you shouldn't post on the forum.

I don't have to watch the footy every week to give you an opinion of the Lions that is usually close to the mark. Regardless, I'll you the 'heads-up' as to the three consistently worst Lions players:

Tim Notting: Guaranteed to turnover possession as least umpteen times per match. Can't trust him in any situation. Should be delisted immediately (if only to spare the Brisbane public the torture of watching this bloke)

Cheynee Stiller: As above. Can't kick.

Daniel Merrett: Fat heap. Got nothing. Opponents in the forward line thank the good Lord for this hack. Big Red's got no cred....

How about we discuss an issue much more up your alley, what do you think the problem is with the Bronc's this year? They look a shadow of the side from last season. Of course I haven't been able to watch much, but what has happened to them in such a short time? Surely can't be just injuries? Oh, and go you Qlder!:thumbsu:

We don't talk about 'The Horse'. Too painful.

Yes, go QLD!

You know what else is true, NRL execs saying that their game plan is a joke compared to the AFL one. In the news 2 months ago, I found it humorous, but sadly true. The next time the NRL averages 20k over a season, Ill get a Storm membership. Til then, try and find some fans

You know what else is true, NRL execs saying that their game plan is a joke compared to the AFL one. In the news 2 months ago, I found it humorous, but sadly true. The next time the NRL averages 20k over a season, Ill get a Storm membership. Til then, try and find some fans

*NRL management in maladroitness shock*

I don't have to watch the footy every week to give you an opinion of the Lions that is usually close to the mark. Regardless, I'll you the 'heads-up' as to the three consistently worst Lions players:

Tim Notting: Guaranteed to turnover possession as least umpteen times per match. Can't trust him in any situation. Should be delisted immediately (if only to spare the Brisbane public the torture of watching this bloke)

Cheynee Stiller: As above. Can't kick.

Daniel Merrett: Fat heap. Got nothing. Opponents in the forward line thank the good Lord for this hack. Big Red's got no cred....

Nice try Kooks...Notting's been probably one of the best for the Lions this year. Disposal & vision can sometimes let him down but he's been able to get the ball and put it forward, which few others have been able to do. If you reckon his been in our worst, then i'd suggest you watch some of the games again.

Stiller's form dropped off no doubt, although was always going to fight for his spot and has been in and out. And anyway, Sherman, Rischa have been worse in recent weeks. Makes me wonder if your not pulling names out of a hat.

As for Merrett, you are WAY off the mark mate. Has been very solid this year, kept his spot all year and has surprised a lot of Lion's fans. Has great closing speed and knows when to punch, disposal often lets him down but has been a real rock this year and done admirably despite his midfield being dominated.

Seriously mate, you are sounding foolish.

We don't talk about 'The Horse'. Too painful.

Yes, go QLD!

Perhaps i'll check out the RL board for your thoughts on the mighty Broncs but anyway, how good was that win? Listened to on the radio & watched a few days later, typical QLD & typical NSW;)!

You caught me - I pulled those names out of a hat. :eek:

Seriously, my always incisive observations concerning this issue will no doubt come to fruition at season's end, whereby you will publicly acknowledge my superior 'hack' identification abilities.

Until then...

You speak as though a result of 9K was not anticipated...

NRL matches have rated as 'good' as 20K in Perth this year (which of course is poor), but considering that a Perth-based team will not be seen in the NRL competition until at least 2012, coupled with the fact that advertising and promotion of the NRL 'brand' (and frankly Rugby League in general) in Perth is non-existent - what ratings would one expect?

It's the only NRL game on FTA in WA all week. Brisbane, for example, gets 3 in either the afternoon or in prime time, and i'd guess that between 150-200,000 different people in Brisbane watch an AFL match in any given week.
So given there's just 1 match shown in Perth, you'd reckon the bulk of rugby league supporters in Perth would be tuning in.

Perhaps they are. Hence the abominable ratings.

Amazing how the battlelines have been drawn. Mediocre ratings in Brisbane cop flak, yet shockingly bad ratings in Perth are passed off as irrelevant. Just shows where the 2 codes are at.

It's the only NRL game on FTA in WA all week. Brisbane, for example, gets 3 in either the afternoon or in prime time, and i'd guess that between 150-200,000 different people in Brisbane watch an AFL match in any given week.
So given there's just 1 match shown in Perth, you'd reckon the bulk of rugby league supporters in Perth would be tuning in.

Perhaps they are. Hence the abominable ratings.

What supporters?

The NRL is not 'targeting' Perth and WA and flooding the market with promotion and advertising. If the NRL were to act in such a manner, and the ratings tanked - you would be more than welcome to 'stick the boot in'. The NRL is (unfortunately) oblivious to the region, and in turn, the public is oblivious to the code.

Amazing how the battlelines have been drawn. Mediocre ratings in Brisbane cop flak, yet shockingly bad ratings in Perth are passed off as irrelevant. Just shows where the 2 codes are at.

I am simply posing the question of cost/benefit.

What supporters?

The NRL is not 'targeting' Perth and WA and flooding the market with promotion and advertising. If the NRL were to act in such a manner, and the ratings tanked - you would be more than welcome to 'stick the boot in'. The NRL is (unfortunately) oblivious to the region, and in turn, the public is oblivious to the code.

Correct. No-one cares. Welcome to the world of rugby league outside 2 states.

Good luck with the state of origin match tomorrow. I'm sure the entire rugby league world will be watching, given the entire rugby league world will be represented.

I am simply posing the question of cost/benefit.

If you're going to troll, at least acknowledge that you're doing it instead of coming up with that bullsht.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane Lions Outdrawn By 'Scooby-Doo'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back