Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues PF, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd Sep 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough for Payne but Gardiner can do a job. A bit small against an extremely tall forward line, if we get through it's a good backline for the pies.

Glad we have had the guts to trust our forward line setup, it's all on the mids now IMO, gotta have our pressure up from the get go as even rushed kicks the blues will be a big threat in the air.

Honestly not that worried. Sure Payne is a huge out, but even if Curnow kicks a bag, and don't think he has the support crew to kick the other 10 needed to make a contest. Port were supposed to have the best midfield and we accounted for them easily. And our forward line is so potent there's no way we don't put 120 points on the board.

Tough for Payne but Gardiner can do a job. A bit small against an extremely tall forward line, if we get through it's a good backline for the pies.

Glad we have had the guts to trust our forward line setup, it's all on the mids now IMO, gotta have our pressure up from the get go as even rushed kicks the blues will be a big threat in the air.
The other side of that coin is that if we do get it to ground, their talls will struggle to apply much forward pressure. I think we’ll cut them up on the rebound.

We're going to outrun them when the game opens up.

They're on tired legs.

Someone needs to run with Saad and that's them done out of the backline.

Not at all worried by their tall forward set up. If they get A grade delivery they still have to kick them.

The one concern for me is Dizz being out of the fire of this sort of game for so long but he's a toughnut who won't give up , it's just up to our flankers across the backline to play a bit taller. Which they're all capable of doing.

Cannot wait for next week when everyone is debating whether or not Payne comes back in considering how well Dizzy played.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Charlie has a big game in him this week. He’s played well in a prelim before, and whilst he set the 3rd quarter alight against Port, outside of that he was pretty well held.

Carlton have struggled to defend him in the past too. Get the ball in there and let him go to work. He will scare the shit out their defenders.

The one thing we do have to be wary of is giving away silly free kicks to their tall forwards because I think the umps will be red hot on this . Don't bother chopping the arms ,apply body pressure and they still have to mark it and then kick it.

We can always throw Ah Chee down there to jump in front of the pack and Coleman's not bad at that either.

Just a matter of sticking with them if they come out firing and start fluking a few things.

My personal view is I can't see them running it out if we apply team defensive pressure.

Ollie Lord, whom I didn't even know existed prior to the QF, kicked 4 goals. We were fine. Todd Marshall also got his 2 goals, we were fine.

If Curnow can kick 4 goals and McKay 2 goals, we know that won't be enough to win the game alone. So unless Curnow goes for 6+, I'm not too worried as long as we do our part in the middle/forward to offset whatever happens in the backline.

Everyone is concerned about the Blues tall forwards (rightly so!) but I'm really concerned about their midfield. It bats deep these days. Cripps and Walsh will need to be accounted for. Dunkley on Cripps for the game of his life and I'd have Clugga play off Walsh to try to damage the Blues more so than what Walsh is capable of. Walsh is a gun and can do it all. Run all day, kick goals, inside and out. Neale will probably have Hewett on him for most of the game so hope he can find some support.

Overall though I think we match up well on the Blues and can nullify their strengths albeit a tad more difficult with Payne gone and bringing in undersized and bog average Gardiner. Let's hope we win the midfield battle.

Don't mind those 4, hopefully they have very little influence on the result.
Foot-526x400.png
Stevic-498x400.png
Findlay-1-475x400.png
Andre-470x400.png
Stevic umpired that Lions vs Dogs final at the Gabba when free kicks went against us 10/1 in last quarter 2021.
I am watching you

Umpires will be trying their darn hardest for a Blues grand final. Can just see it now… cheap Blue frees inside 50 for shots on goal and later in the game they’ll throw in a few frees our way to even the ledger. But we’ll get our frees up the ground where they won’t have the same impact.

Bookmark it.
Said the same thing immediately after Carlton beat Melbourne. You’re spot on, especially if the Pies beat the Giants, the VFL umps will be fired up for a Pies v Blues GF, nothing could be surer.

The one thing we do have to be wary of is giving away silly free kicks to their tall forwards because I think the umps will be red hot on this . Don't bother chopping the arms ,apply body pressure and they still have to mark it and then kick it.
Let’s just hope if the umps are going to be red hot on that that they are consistent because Joe in particular regularly has his arms chopped and gets nothing and I won’t get started on Charlie being constantly scragged getting nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back