Preview Brisbane Lions v Melbourne Demons - Friday, 28 June 2024, 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to dedicate this match preview to my, no our, good friend danster168 . I thank Danny for his ongoing support and friendship.

AD_4nXdNUoUM9CpHPASx9g4i54DkyoiyJWcLGpNl0f4bflZi8vzXO7cx93tgt7ptORZ9NSXvaKulZT8IWeBCCu3JZ24ZCCxQzQfhVm5GJwJn2YdFPbgO2xjDJBkqrRNaa5KYUUbpglnxGVTrEq-v2EQLeyIkYMQo

Round 16. We are in the sweet spot that we like on the Brisbane Board, every week is a must win eight point danger game.

In the lead up to the game this week I think it is a good opportunity to appreciate the manner in which the boys have performed the last two months to turn the season around and put in some really strong performances.

Last time both teams met
Both teams met last at the MCG in Round 5. Our back was against the wall and we put in a sterling performance beating the Dees and notching our first win at the G since 2022.

On that night there was one standout player, Cameron ‘Round 5 MVP’ Rayner. Here is an extract from the official AFL match report:

AD_4nXc0BSVnywGKl7zqSCPGAVKRj34ahRvEaoX-A93C0lpCJXNsi_UVJDbxD5qyLIGgOkSZXDm27gswxzQ6sJ1rOcDDA3yP-vXtNu93Z_hmNqUwAjP0qsAsZ4wX_LF1cpdRMtcqg9Qy32K3_sNgjGK-BqB5OnNg

Cam got all the votes that match and was named the Round 5 MVP!

AD_4nXeil-Z8DOhHQwEZE_6Z7RYZYfB0DgWiJPKHZbdB4fmTvGD8XacMQi9ZPKAGiajPBX_k75Mu0LQKqxb0ORT7urb0Xi1nj58B-20_jYm7Z_ixnWBAzFTJnVcTpTyrTGDWTCgXh3-GBusgOqlv9wx_1lKGWBPr

Current Form - Brisbane

AD_4nXffQ5vdn6A9veV-K_5k5GFMA8j1JLNAqc_1t128x55xganI8QfqfFFkzd6y4ET8xkTJzPyyC7m8kG8lbnjxbXpdv3I1fkLkBtdlAwlizdxgzdgY7wo3vCK1R0WTHzc8EScV3CTJTkG4uBbfhLwnMLhpu4xD

Brisbane come into this match in form having built a strong two month body of work. I think the keys have been:
  • Our defence has remained solid and has slowly overcome the loss of Coleman early in the season and successive injuries to McKenna. Together with limiting scoring, we have begun to spread the load when it comes to transitioning the ball out of our D50 via Zorko, Wilmot and McKenna.
  • Berry to the Midfield. With Berry moving into the midfield we now have a much more consistent and dependable looking midfield unit with a number of genuine ball winners and the ability to lock down (and in Berry’s case run off) the oppositions best mid.
  • Forward connection. Our forward connection still isn’t quite there and is a bit of a week to week proposition but has improved a lot. At the end of the day it is a lot easier when Joe and Eric are on song and playing great footy, as is the case at the moment.
  • The kids are alright. I think one thing that has at times been lost this season is how much our younger and less inexperienced guys have stepped up.
    • Logan Morris - an absolute gun who has shown great footy IQ, athleticism and a team oriented attitude. He is really what we wanted King Gunners to be last year.
    • Bruce Reville - has made an immediate contribution, primarily on the wing and is a lovely kick of the ball.
    • Shadeau Brain - hasn’t had much game time in the senior but has shown he has what it takes to play senior footy.
    • Jaspa Fletcher - I think we forget that Jaspa only turned 20 a few months ago. Our expectations for him are that of a 100 game 24 year old mainstay such is his skill and contribution on the wing.
    • Kai Lohmann - another who has made an immediate contribution following Linc’s ACL. Has shown natural skill and great workrate. We are lucky to have him.
    • Darcy Wilmot - another 20 year old that I think we view as a 100+ game player. Gives us that important line-breaking off HB and has had an awesome year.
    • Harry Sharp - Harry has been unlucky not to play more senior footy, having shown great form in both the seniors and VFL.
Current Form - Melbourne
Listen, I won’t mince words. It isn’t going great.

AD_4nXdVkgDY34yNeUMwBAt3dhC27clqkG0hhHTTtgPfCxHYTYsJcvGagjX0i24OBJgs76JvDy2uBTKix9ihjK6RVZf4rxgRIJL9z549-70UmLeaQ-y0lLNWcbKNvjc8e1V9m4aJ0UygwgVoyKQe6VLFoWXvqCs6

Compare the pair - key player focus
I want to compare two important players for both sides - gun young forward Logan Morris and Bayley Fritsch. Both taken at pick #31 in their respective drafts. Now I know what you’re saying, I can hear you loud and clear - “you’re crazy, Logan Morris plays a difficult position, has only just turned 19 years old and has only played 7 games while Fritsch has played 140. You can’t do this”.

Calm down BRAB and stop shouting me down, I know. So to make it fair I’ve compared their averages at the same age. I’m no David King but I think our boy Logan is well ahead.

AD_4nXcVGoY28F4Uh5hwXhNZNrKEE2QCyrPy6_8Db2v9pXOQANwHyhDq_i_FpWxuiBgD-YnmbpFo1Marv6TMcC4JcqxrSwvNw3uqY2LK0o3zu8A3Te04Mk7t_KQwQOY4NyDiRQJfbZ26QJz4G3NG49XqIOZqFyyD

Deep forward threat
After being offered and declining the Adelaide Crows lowball offer of 2 first round picks for Harrison Petty, master coach Simon Goodwin has made the tactically astute move of playing Petty deep forward the entire season.
Unfortunately I think Footywire’s stats are incorrect because it only shows a return of 4 goals for the entire season or 0.3 goals per game. That can’t be right.
Anyway, our defenders will need to be on guard otherwise Petty could kick a bag.

AD_4nXfQ-bC6tObFkrdTZf7dr0Uli3HZeTA8sVy8C1Fj9lBKuFbkUKOJKaCRsGo1S8eyQEq0KuTnak-89TRhgEoC1lSpzRK_5DOcD6gxa6TETAqOCHyLWOmSXNbg_x85aFbsTEhlH_VQZdqrd08HuxwaygPGz0wD

Will Ashcroft
What else is there to say. I don’t want to go overboard with this as he still needs to prove his fitness and be named in the squad, but fingers crossed. Here is my favourite photo of the little champion. Worth the price of admission.

AD_4nXfPkLyQmNtWw5p2AyEA-sMGuPFTov6s-Ga97HGZyKx7LrpTDnnE5-LNn-xariJ5f9S1Uc22UuStg07Ls1tGYk9ycLgPm2vXLMCoOQQdDdzvFemT-olkFa_qo4KMCFuYV5q0qLv_77brim4nWBuCXT1WtyI

Prediction
Lions by 10+ goals.

Want to get involved?
I want to see your favourite Cam Rayner or Will Ashcroft picture in this thread. Bonus points for both.

Bez to Oliver is a no-brainer. Mitigating him + no Petracca, means this should be an easy win for us.

I would like to dedicate this match preview to my, no our, good friend danster168 . I thank Danny for his ongoing support and friendship.

AD_4nXdNUoUM9CpHPASx9g4i54DkyoiyJWcLGpNl0f4bflZi8vzXO7cx93tgt7ptORZ9NSXvaKulZT8IWeBCCu3JZ24ZCCxQzQfhVm5GJwJn2YdFPbgO2xjDJBkqrRNaa5KYUUbpglnxGVTrEq-v2EQLeyIkYMQo

Round 16. We are in the sweet spot that we like on the Brisbane Board, every week is a must win eight point danger game.

In the lead up to the game this week I think it is a good opportunity to appreciate the manner in which the boys have performed the last two months to turn the season around and put in some really strong performances.

Last time both teams met
Both teams met last at the MCG in Round 5. Our back was against the wall and we put in a sterling performance beating the Dees and notching our first win at the G since 2022.

On that night there was one standout player, Cameron ‘Round 5 MVP’ Rayner. Here is an extract from the official AFL match report:

AD_4nXc0BSVnywGKl7zqSCPGAVKRj34ahRvEaoX-A93C0lpCJXNsi_UVJDbxD5qyLIGgOkSZXDm27gswxzQ6sJ1rOcDDA3yP-vXtNu93Z_hmNqUwAjP0qsAsZ4wX_LF1cpdRMtcqg9Qy32K3_sNgjGK-BqB5OnNg

AD_4nXeil-Z8DOhHQwEZE_6Z7RYZYfB0DgWiJPKHZbdB4fmTvGD8XacMQi9ZPKAGiajPBX_k75Mu0LQKqxb0ORT7urb0Xi1nj58B-20_jYm7Z_ixnWBAzFTJnVcTpTyrTGDWTCgXh3-GBusgOqlv9wx_1lKGWBPr

Current Form - Brisbane

AD_4nXffQ5vdn6A9veV-K_5k5GFMA8j1JLNAqc_1t128x55xganI8QfqfFFkzd6y4ET8xkTJzPyyC7m8kG8lbnjxbXpdv3I1fkLkBtdlAwlizdxgzdgY7wo3vCK1R0WTHzc8EScV3CTJTkG4uBbfhLwnMLhpu4xD

Brisbane come into this match in form having built a strong two month body of work. I think the keys have been:
  • Our defence has remained solid and has slowly overcome the loss of Coleman early in the season and successive injuries to McKenna. Together with limiting scoring, we have begun to spread the load when it comes to transitioning the ball out of our D50 via Zorko, Wilmot and McKenna.
  • Berry to the Midfield. With Berry moving into the midfield we now have a much more consistent and dependable looking midfield unit with a number of genuine ball winners and the ability to lock down (and in Berry’s case run off) the oppositions best mid.
  • Forward connection. Our forward connection still isn’t quite there and is a bit of a week to week proposition but has improved a lot. At the end of the day it is a lot easier when Joe and Eric are on song and playing great footy, as is the case at the moment.
  • The kids are alright. I think one thing that has at times been lost this season is how much our younger and less inexperienced guys have stepped up.
    • Logan Morris - an absolute gun who has shown great footy IQ, athleticism and a team oriented attitude. He is really what we wanted King Gunners to be last year.
    • Bruce Reville - has made an immediate contribution, primarily on the wing and is a lovely kick of the ball.
    • Shadeau Brain - hasn’t had much game time in the senior but has shown he has what it takes to play senior footy.
    • Jaspa Fletcher - I think we forget that Jaspa only turned 20 a few months ago. Our expectations for him are that of a 100 game 24 year old mainstay such is his skill and contribution on the wing.
    • Kai Lohmann - another who has made an immediate contribution following Linc’s ACL. Has shown natural skill and great workrate. We are lucky to have him.
    • Darcy Wilmot - another 20 year old that I think we view as a 100+ game player. Gives us that important line-breaking off HB and has had an awesome year.
    • Harry Sharp - Harry has been unlucky not to play more senior footy, having shown great form in both the seniors and VFL.
Current Form - Melbourne

AD_4nXdVkgDY34yNeUMwBAt3dhC27clqkG0hhHTTtgPfCxHYTYsJcvGagjX0i24OBJgs76JvDy2uBTKix9ihjK6RVZf4rxgRIJL9z549-70UmLeaQ-y0lLNWcbKNvjc8e1V9m4aJ0UygwgVoyKQe6VLFoWXvqCs6

I want to compare two important players for both sides - gun young forward Logan Morris and Bayley Fritsch. Both taken at pick #31 in their respective drafts. Now I know what you’re saying, I can hear you loud and clear - “you’re crazy, Logan Morris plays a difficult position, has only just turned 19 years old and has only played 7 games while Fritsch has played 140. You can’t do this”.

Calm down BRAB and stop shouting me down, I know. So to make it fair I’ve compared their averages at the same age. I’m no David King but I think our boy Logan is well ahead.

AD_4nXcVGoY28F4Uh5hwXhNZNrKEE2QCyrPy6_8Db2v9pXOQANwHyhDq_i_FpWxuiBgD-YnmbpFo1Marv6TMcC4JcqxrSwvNw3uqY2LK0o3zu8A3Te04Mk7t_KQwQOY4NyDiRQJfbZ26QJz4G3NG49XqIOZqFyyD

Deep forward threat
After being offered and declining the Adelaide Crows lowball offer of 2 first round picks for Harrison Petty, master coach Simon Goodwin has made the tactically astute move of playing Petty deep forward the entire season.
Unfortunately I think Footywire’s stats are incorrect because it only shows a return of 4 goals for the entire season or 0.3 goals per game. That can’t be right.
Anyway, our defenders will need to be on guard otherwise Petty could kick a bag.

AD_4nXfQ-bC6tObFkrdTZf7dr0Uli3HZeTA8sVy8C1Fj9lBKuFbkUKOJKaCRsGo1S8eyQEq0KuTnak-89TRhgEoC1lSpzRK_5DOcD6gxa6TETAqOCHyLWOmSXNbg_x85aFbsTEhlH_VQZdqrd08HuxwaygPGz0wD

Will Ashcroft
What else is there to say. I don’t want to go overboard with this as he still needs to prove his fitness and be named in the squad, but fingers crossed. Here is my favourite photo of the little champion. Worth the price of admission.

AD_4nXfPkLyQmNtWw5p2AyEA-sMGuPFTov6s-Ga97HGZyKx7LrpTDnnE5-LNn-xariJ5f9S1Uc22UuStg07Ls1tGYk9ycLgPm2vXLMCoOQQdDdzvFemT-olkFa_qo4KMCFuYV5q0qLv_77brim4nWBuCXT1WtyI

Prediction
Lions by 10+ goals.

Want to get involved?
I want to see your favourite Cam Rayner or Will Ashcroft picture in this thread. Bonus points for both.
Yeah but where's the detail though.

Last time both teams met

Current Form - Brisbane

Current Form - Melbourne

Deep forward threat

Will Ashcroft

Prediction
Lions by 10+ goals.

Want to get involved?
Good preview though. My prediction is Will Ashcroft by the length of my smashed dreams from last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's only one thing that has me remotely concerned about this week.

After 18 months the media has finally worked out that Melbourne are just a bog average side once they started believing their own BS.

And all of a sudden we're very good again.

This is a circumstance we haven't been all that hot at in producing our best so we should get a good guide as to how motivated and serious we are at mounting a charge this year.

And no acrostics.

0/10

I'm not a one trick pony, no wait thats exactly what I am. But gotta give the people some variety. Spice things up.

Biggest threat to us winning this week is the Gabba power bill not being paid again.
I think our biggest threat is ourselves not getting ahead of ourselves. We’ve just got to turn up with the right attitude and we’ll easily account for the Dees, anything less and they still have enough good players to knock us off.

Can’t wait to see Ash tho; one of the highlights of the year we’ll be seeing him back out the year.

What I'd like to see: Brisbane player in possession. Brisbane player looks up and sees Max Gawn somewhere. Brisbane player does literally anything but kick it in that direction. Holding the ball. Out on the full. Burst into tears & do a Petty-style jig. Anything. Just don't kick it down the line to Gawn. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back