Review Round 16, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Our mids were fantastic in the second half. If our forwards did their job we win by 4+ goals easy. To scrap for this win is something special. The team are absolutely hellbent on finals, you can really see their hunger on display.

Ashcroft's fourth quarter was huge. He is going to make us a much better team when he gets into his groove.

McKenna's dodge and spear to Lohman won us the game.
👋 I thought it was Lester’s contested mark and handball dish off to McKenna that then went to Lohmann that won us the game. 🥳

I'd keep Payne away for next week and the Optus trip to make sure his foot is right. Rest for 3 weeks or play in 2s and come back in against Swans at Gabba so Joyce gets a 3 game block to get familiar with the pace of the game in 1s.

If we're finals worthy, then having a fit Payne is more important than testing his foot out on the hard surface of Optus. So if Payne's not playing Optus then we shouldn't be picking him next week as well, so there is some continuity at least for Joyce.

It's not going to help either player if we did Payne (Adelaide) / Joyce (Optus - West Coast) / Payne (Swans).
I like this idea. I thought Joyce was improving in the vfl. I still had low expectations of him for this game but I was underwhelmed. However other more experienced players also were down on form due to Dees pressure.

Joyce is the only option if Andrews and Payne are unavailable, unless ZZ has a sudden improvement in form. So giving him a few more games while making sure Payne is fully over his injury would be sound squad development. I believe we should keep Joyce on the list for one more year.

I have had another left field idea. Is Beecken capable of playing third tall? I will be interested to see where he plays this afternoon.

I hope Harris was micd up. Was verbally assaulting Fritsch all night. Release the audio you cowards.
I was watching the game with a bunch of Melbourne fans and all agreed that Fritsch must be a total pest, so many players across the comp seem to give him verbal and physical crap. Andrews seemed to really hate him

Our mids were fantastic in the second half. If our forwards did their job we win by 4+ goals easy. To scrap for this win is something special. The team are absolutely hellbent on finals, you can really see their hunger on display.

Ashcroft's fourth quarter was huge. He is going to make us a much better team when he gets into his groove.
I actually thought that he was really quite passive for the best part of the game but did lift when required in the last.
And there wasnt any defensive running from him at all last night, spent a lot of time walking around.
I am not knocking him at all and I can understand him being a bit that way with him needing to regain confidence in his knee, just my observations on the night.
Definitely agree, he did some really nice stuff in the last.

Fagan won't do it but Bailey needs to be dropped. Hard to say because I'm his biggest fan from day 1. However, he has been so out of form this year and I've lost count of how many times he has been caught with the ball? Needs a re set and go back to VFL and get some clean ball and bring back the Bailey we all love and miss.

No doubt he will kick 5 next week and make me look like a fool and I hope he does.

Very difficult circumstances. First game in the seniors since rd 6 last year, Melbourne playing well, high pressure, our mids not playing well in the first half, trash ball movement from us. I thought once we stablised he looked ok, but would prefer Payne who I think is more suited to that role. Joyce would better suit the Lester role.

TBH his skill errors which led to Dees goals were very reminiscent of what we see from Payne.

Payne is actually pretty good at ground level, can collect the ball well but when he takes risks with disposal can be a 50/50.

Joyce was not great at ground level at all. Tried in defensive transition to collect the ball and couldn’t, which fumbled on to be a Melbourne score. In the last when Langdon missed a snap, it was a direct result of Joyce going to ground trying to get the ball and completely botching it.

I’m glad Joyce is on the list, he’s very much needed but it was his worst game for us in my opinion. I know he can play a lot better than that, the whole team was spooked for in the second and half the third.

👋 I thought it was Lester’s contested mark and handball dish off to McKenna that then went to Lohmann that won us the game. 🥳
Of course you do!

I thought it was McCluggage’s goal that sealed us the game.

Three Lions players with over 500 meters gained all defenders
Zorko 552, Starcevich 523 & McKenna 500
Zorks had a massive game .He is having a great year in all honesty .Well done to him .

Don’t think the extra 3 mins game time would have made much difference, had been running on it for over a quarter
Well considering Brown actually had 9 and a half mins on the ground it would have made a difference to be down a rotation that late in the game.

Zorks had a massive game .He is having a great year in all honesty .Well done to him .
I come here to say this. Watching the game back he was pivotal so many times.

He has seemed to put his head down and bum up this season. Any niggles or little melees he doesn't want a bar of. Just jogs back to position and minds his own business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Ashcroft rehab photo i took in the preseason 22/01/24.
At 80 all scoreline he drives it forward.

A solid return game from Will.
He had 18 disposals (6 contested) 5 marks, 5 tackles and importantly 76% TOG to help his game day fitness.
It was great to see he has not lost his footy touch and player awareness that sometimes takes a while to regain after a long injury.

1719626096923.png 1L9A2006.JPG

If he had his way every week he'd be there abouts.

Lately we've been unable to handle guys like Pickett, Hill, Stengle, and even allowed rookie sml fwd's like Darcy Jones & Harvey Thomas to look like stars. There's significant issues down back that need to be solved.
What's the answer, getting a defender with similar speed and agility?

Will Ashcroft rehab photo i took in the preseason 22/01/24.
At 80 all scoreline he drives it forward.

A solid return game from Will.
He had 18 disposals (6 contested) 5 marks, 5 tackles and importantly 76% TOG to help his game day fitness.
It was great to see he has not lost his footy touch and player awareness that sometimes takes a while to regain after a long injury.

View attachment 2033493View attachment 2033496

Immediately picked up the pace of the game in a really hot and pressured contest. Those skilled touches in tight to extract the ball and release a team mate was great to see. We have missed it. I thought for first game back he was great.

We saw some of that explosive burst away late in the game as well.

Really bullish on what Will can be for us this year.

A win in the end and that's all that matters. We were inaccurate, we fumbled, we tried to rush things, lost some midfield focus. Some had shockers, some tried their guts out. But in the end we fought back, changed momentum and won.

It's easy to pick apart players and sound like a wise prophet while doing it. Whipping boys become emotional scapegoats. So last night wasn't 100% perfect. Some players got beat by other good players at times. That's football. I get the knocks on players, I do. I'd love to stop seeing Bailey drop off tackles, I'd love to see McKenna be in better touch. It would be great to get a faultless game from the 3rd string tall defender filling in. Good players like Bailey n Mckenna will repay the faith. Joyce will learn, I didn't think he was horrible. Busted his butt to chase down n make up for his errors.

There was good. Ashcroft unscathed, Charlie slotted a cpl, the midfield responded to a kick up the clacker, and Bruuuce's kicking and delivery is a joy to watch.

Picket got away on us. We have a problem with the small, quick fwd kicking a bag on us. We really don't have anyone that can lock down the zippy ones. Starce n Mckenna just aren't built for them, Zorko has/had the zip but lacks hb experience. Wilmot has what's needed I think, pace, can tackle etc but he seems to be used in other ways. Is this something Brain is suited too? A tagging, lock down role on a sm fast fwd? We could use one. Would be a tough job that's for sure.

Anyway, onto the next game. Got a bit of a dirty one out of the system, back to some better footy next week.
Starc used to be amazing in this lock down role - I remember him driving Rankine nuts but he seems to have lost that focus of late. Surely, he is our go-to man for that role. Answerth is also good...

What's the answer, getting a defender with similar speed and agility?
Yeah I've been thinking someone like an Adam Saad that can apply that sort of pressure onto an opposition speedster..

Speaking of which, massive props to Charlie for getting down back & getting to the drop of the ball for that final Demons fwd entry!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 16, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Back