Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the actual vic park stadium build is around $2b I think. The rest of the $$$ is effectively transforming that space. There will be a huge legacy benefit.
The review basically compared a like for like with a full knockdown and rebuild of the Gabba with a new 55k stadium. They talk very little about cost of transforming the park.

Architect firm Archipelago's submission was for a full park transformation, a 70k stadium, 2 other venues, large indoor arena proposed for Roma Street and the other was the swimming centre, which the Sports Review Panel said both should stay at their current proposed site, although Roma Street they said to build it on the car park, not over the train tracks as has been proposed.

The 55k stadium proposal the Sports Review Panel discussed, was just for the 55k main stadium and not any other things on Victoria Park.

1710904903140.png

The review basically compared a like for like with a full knockdown and rebuild of the Gabba with a new 55k stadium. They talk very little about cost of transforming the park.

Architect firm Archipelago's submission was for a full park transformation, a 70k stadium, 2 other venues, large indoor arena proposed for Roma Street and the other was the swimming centre, which the Sports Review Panel said both should stay at their current proposed site, although Roma Street they said to build it on the car park, not over the train tracks as has been proposed.

The 55k stadium proposal the Sports Review Panel discussed, was just for the 55k main stadium and not any other things on Victoria Park.

View attachment 1933687

I think there’s a line in there somewhere about an assumption re the spend required to transform the space to facilitate a stadium being put there. Which in effect gives you the stadium + other benefits.

Whereas Gabba is just knock down and build back on same land.

I think there’s a line in there somewhere about an assumption re the spend required to transform the space to facilitate a stadium being put there. Which in effect gives you the stadium + other benefits.

Whereas Gabba is just knock down and build back on same land.
Gabba will have amazing transport links with the cross city rail station and only a 15-25 min walk from the city.

Victoria park has no good transport links. It would have to be built at significant expense. Need to account for the additional transport costs. It will be terrible for anyone on the south side whereas the gabba will be easy to get to for north siders. gabba also much much easier to get to for gold coasters.

Although i could suppose they may just not bother with transport which would be the QE2 approach they seem to be planning. I.e the not give a stuff about the games approach. I live 20 mins drive from the QE2 stadium (more playground then stadium) and its impossible to get there without a car.

The 40,000 comes from the independent Sports Venue Review report pages 24 to 29. They also briefly consider a 30,000 stadium.

The stadium wont be torn down the day after the Olympics, downsized, recommended to 14,000 by the review, but not all torn down. And it wont be overnight.

The report basically said $600m is for the legacy component and $1bil for the operational component including operational requirement works (concrete) podium, transport, temporary seating etc.

The QSAC upgrade for the 1982 Comm Games when it was called the QE II stadium had a capacity of 52,000 with 6,000 in the western stand and 46,000 seats in temporary aluminium stands/bays. Those temporary seats were supposed to go after a few years.

41.5 years later 36,000 of those temporary seats are still in place, reinforced and fortified a few times over those 41.5 years. Sure it looks cheap, probably doesn't pass a lot of building code requirements especially disable access, but they have served their purpose over the year with the Broncos playing there for 11 season, 2 state of origin games in 2001-02 whilst Suncorp was being redeveloped, the 2001 Goodwill Games and concerts over the years, etc etc.

In 2006 Athletics Australia made a simultaneous bid for either the 2011 or 2013 IAAF/now World Athletics Championships to be staged at QSAC and it would have received a significant upgrade with funding from state and federal government. I think it was either $100m or close to it. Daegu in South Korea got the 2011 championships awarded in December 2006 and in March 2007 Moscow was awarded the 2013 championships.

I would expect Oz to make a bid for either 2035 or 2037 World Athletics Championships using QSAC Olympic facilities so that would mean it wont be downsized much after 2032, if the bid is successful, and then a decision would be made post World Athletics Championship hosting.

London hosted 2012 Olympics and the reconfigured stadium was used for 2017 World Championships. Bejing hosted the 2008 Olympics and the Bird Nest stadium was used in the 2015 World Championships. Tokyo hosted 2020 Olympics in 2021, thanks covid, and the National Stadium will be used for the 2025 World Championships. The Bird Nest in Beijing will once again host the Championships in 2027.

5 months before the Brisbane team lodged its Bid Book in mid 2021 with the IOC, the 80k stadium at Albion on the trotting track greenfield site, 3 train stations NE of Central station, with 5 train lines passing thru the station was the preferred option.

Then Coates managed to talk the IOC down to a 60k stadium would be acceptable a couple of months later, and based on this and the new Cross River Rail project had started in 2020 with a new Woolloongabba train station and trams feeding into it also planned, the Qld government convinced Coates to get the IOC to accept a 50k stadium as part of its drive to make the Games a more affordable option and use more existing infrastructure by bidding cities. So the Gabba went into the Bid Book in late May/early June 2021.

I never saw a detailed discussion of costs for the 80k and 60k Albion option but what little figures were discussed was that it would be $1bil to $1.3bil range and its probably why the Gabba knockdown and rebuild was costed at $1bil, as a new oval shaped 60k stadium meant the death of the Gabba and not maximising the new heavy and light rail infrastructure that had already started to help serve the Gabba and surrounding suburbs.

I'm stuffed if I know what has happened to construction costs in the last few years. Covid, supply chain problems, inflation, construction companies falling over, interest rate rises, real wages increasing, projected costs in future dollars, all mean things are more expensive than 2020 costings but its hard to believe that the Sydney Football Stadium, had a $100m cost blown out between 2020 and 2022 construction period, but the average cost per seat was $20,000 and now we are looking at $40,000 per seat for the QSAC and almost $60,000 per seat for the Victoria Park option.

Something has gone terrible wrong somewhere.
They spoke to Dan and Jacinta for advice

Last week Roy and HG on The Weekly pushed the benefit of Lang Park for the opening ceremony and might have given away a
couple of ideas for the opening ceremony.

Last edited:
So we are what a week out from when brisbane will host the games and we have just had a terrfyingly cold couple of days. Like i woke up this morning and my feet were blue cold.

This is ridiculous. It cant be hosted at this time of year.

Runners will be shivering on the starting blocks during the night sessions.

So we are what a week out from when brisbane will host the games and we have just had a terrfyingly cold couple of days. Like i woke up this morning and my feet were blue cold.

Was thinking the same. And Tom Tate thinks he's gonna host swimming at the Gold Coast Aquatic Centre with the horrible winds coming off the coast. Even with his proposed roof it'd be horrible because the sides will still be open and the warm up pool completely unenclosed.

I raised this 3 years ago during Tokyo which was on during the same days Brisbane will host them. Also again in 2022 when the Comm Games in Birmingham was on during this time and Brisbane had fog one morning in early August and you could only see 2 buildings stick out above it in the CBD.

I kept tempature stats for every 3 hours between 6am and midnight in Brisbane for those 2 years. There has been bugger all rain recorded iduring that period but some mornings have been under 10 degrees at 6am and a few nights at 9pm its been around 11 or 12 degtees.

They wont change the dates. TV schedules in Europe and USA wont let it happen.

I worked out 190 odd of the 329 events in Paris are held in indoor arenas, so those sports will be ok. Many others will be held middle of the day out doors when its around 22 degrees.

The cold nights will affect track and field and beach volley the most.

I can see maybe 18 to 20 of the 48 athletics finals being held in the morning session with non road finals held between 12 noon and 2pm which is warm but good for USA TV time.

The beach volleyball girls will have to cover their arses at night and wear long tights. Arse Covering Olympics might become a theme.

It will be a bit shitty at night time for fans. They will have to cover up and the big outdoor sites wont be as much fun as they were in Sydney when most nights were warm enough for shorts and tshirt type clothing. I think I only wore long sleaves a couple of nights in Sydney.

Australian media and sports fans in large numbers will wake up to the "winter olympics" in 2030 or 2031.

Then they will loudly whinge about it and demand change and it will be too late to push things back.

If Paris and LA didnt both put in such great bids in 2017 and the IOC said you both deserve the games and said you guys work out which one hosts which edition, then the vote for 2032 would have been in September 2025.

But this 11 year preparation for LA let Johnny Coates sneak thru an Aussie bid before he leaves the IOC, knowing the Europeans and USA hate a mid September Games, so he snuck in the Arse Covering Winter Olympics for Brisbane. 2032. 😉

NBC won't want to interfere with their Fall schedule with Sydney being a ratings disaster.

Everything in 2000 was shown on tape delay in the States. It'll be the 2nd Summer Games to be held in a country's winter months with Rio in 2016 forced to hold the Olympics in August 2016. July 2032 will be in the midst of winter for most of Australia

NBC won't want to interfere with their Fall schedule with Sydney being a ratings disaster.

Everything in 2000 was shown on tape delay in the States. It'll be the 2nd Summer Games to be held in a country's winter months with Rio in 2016 forced to hold the Olympics in August 2016. July 2032 will be in the midst of winter for most of Australia
But was the ratings disaster because they played events on delay after everyone knew the results rather it being fall.

Surely middle of summer would be worse for ratings given everyone is on vacation and not exactly watching tv.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Google search type in - 2032 Summer Olympics dates - and right hand side of the page it says

2032 Summer Olympics
Olympic games

Description​

The 2032 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXXV Olympiad and also known as Brisbane 2032, is an upcoming international multi-sport event scheduled to take place from 23 July to 8 August 2032, in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Wikipedia
Dates: Fri, 23 July 2032 – Sun, 8 Aug 2032
Closing: 8 August 2032
Motto: Shine brightest. Together. [And take a jumper and coat]
Opening: 23 July 2032 (in 97 months)
Stadium: Lang Park

Google search type in - 2032 Summer Olympics dates - and right hand side of the page it says

2032 Summer Olympics
Olympic games

Description​

The 2032 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXXV Olympiad and also known as Brisbane 2032, is an upcoming international multi-sport event scheduled to take place from 23 July to 8 August 2032, in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Wikipedia
Will. Olympics cover them around lang park like , fifa? tried around scg ? They thought a clean stadium included the wording on the statues

2032 Summer Olympics
Olympic games

Description​

I wasn't disputing the info, apologies if it came across that way.. I just had never considered the fact they'd be this time of year is all..

I wasn't disputing the info, apologies if it came across that way.. I just had never considered the fact they'd be this time of year is all..
No offence taken. I actually just wanted to check the start date. I wasn't sure if it was the 26th or 27th July start. I was surprised it was the 23rd. My memory's not as good as I thought.

Couldn't help myself and had to add a comment on the Motto and post it.

a54fc96edc6642c1a80c72c0b2e721c6

First look at the Brisbane Olympic Stadium
Dont know whether to laugh or cry.

8 years today the Brisbane Winter Olympics starts and as I type the opening ceremony would be coming to an end as its 10.45pm EST.

This was the temperature recorded every 3 hours from 6am today;

6am 8.4 degrees
9am 13.0
12pm 20.1
3pm 22.5
6pm 15.7
9pm 12.6

no rain, not much wind and min and max temperatures were;

07:04am
02:55pm

a54fc96edc6642c1a80c72c0b2e721c6

First look at the Brisbane Olympic Stadium
Dont know whether to laugh or cry.
Who produced these renders?? Which architect or construction firm?

As far as I know nobody has been awarded the design or construction contracts.

Haha Brisbane 2032 president Andrew Liveris feeling the heat a bit and defending the **** ups around main stadium/ athletics stadium/ Gabba, and the uncertainty of the Roma St indoor arena and if it will host swimming.

As I've written before if it wasn't for the awarding of Paris and LA at the same time in 2017, setting up an 11 year lag time for LA, and other cities being scared off a bit by this because of their existing infrastructure, then Johnny Coates doing everything he could to get Brisbane up during Covid, the 2032 vote would have been held in September 2025.

That's why Brisbane can say they are ahead of schedule and 90% of venues will be no dramas and on budget with most needing some sort of upgrades, or relatively easy builds eg a BMX course or Equestrian course wont break the bank.

But they will go to some venues and think holy shit we can't compete with the majesty of this venue or the setting its in eg beach volleyball at the Eiffel Tower, Archery at Les Invalides and several sports around gardens at the Palace of Versailles.

‘Brisbane is not a hillbilly town’: Olympics boss says 2032 Games are ahead of schedule

Brisbane 2032 president Andrew Liveris, armed with a new marketing slogan but still no plan for where the opening ceremony or athletics will be staged eight years from now, has declared his Games ahead of schedule.

Seeking to reassure Olympic stakeholders in Paris that Brisbane has not squandered the additional time it was given to plan and prepare its Games, the former Dow Chemical chairman backed his city’s capacity to follow Paris and Los Angeles in delivering a spectacular Olympics.

“I am confident that we will deliver,” he said. “We are a nation that can deliver this very well.
“Brisbane is not a hillbilly town.”

Addressing the floor of the International Olympic Committee session alongside Kirsty Coventry, chair of the IOC’s co-ordination commission for Brisbane, Liveris provided no further information about the venues Brisbane plans to build to stage centrepiece Olympic events.

Instead, he announced that Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate had been added to the Brisbane organising committee; that tenders for 15 smaller venues would go to market by the end of the year; and that his committee had settled on a three-word “brand positioning statement”: Shine brightest. Together. [And take a jumper and coat]

“I am very proud of that,” he later told journalists. “I think it adds a lot, the three words. Even the period means something.”

With the Queensland state election three months away, big decisions on the future shape of the Brisbane Olympics have been placed in limbo until after the next government is sworn in.

Liveris told the IOC the Queensland government had commissioned an independent review (led by former Brisbane lord mayor Graham Quirk) of the proposed venues for Brisbane 2032. Following its findings, a new statutory body, the Games Venue and Legacy Delivery Authority, had been established to manage major capital works associated with the Olympics.

At the press conference, he rejected as “noise” media consternation about the Games. “We are ahead of schedule,” he said. “I know that doesn’t get reported very often, but we are.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back