Summer Paris Olympics - Broadcast discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't get to watch much last night, so watching the Olympics Daily show on Stan.

First impressions, seems great no nonsense coverage and plenty of attention given to non-Aussies. Tara Rushton hosting with Neroli Meadows. Good expert guests - a good resource for those looking for a quick ctachup. I say "quick", the running time is nearly 3 hours. No idea if they end up repeating stuff.

If it wasn't for the unbearable American commentator on the swimming, the Stan coverage would be pretty much spot on. Every event live, plenty of packaged replays, much of it in 4k. And no ads. Worth the expense.

I'm curious as to whether Nicole Livingstone, who is very good, can put up with this bloke for the full nine days.

If it wasn't for the unbearable American commentator on the swimming, the Stan coverage would be pretty much spot on. Every event live, plenty of packaged replays, much of it in 4k. And no ads. Worth the expense.

I'm curious as to whether Nicole Livingstone, who is very good, can put up with this bloke for the full nine days.
Stan is good, that commentator is terrible.

Special mention to James Magnussen discussing Titmus in the 400.

"You would have seen that last 50 metres, it wasn’t super obvious to the naked eye but her shoulders were going bright red which means she was lactating hard."

Sometimes, words don't mean what you think they mean James.

Stan is good, that commentator is terrible.

Special mention to James Magnussen discussing Titmus in the 400.

"You would have seen that last 50 metres, it wasn’t super obvious to the naked eye but her shoulders were going bright red which means she was lactating hard."

Sometimes, words don't mean what you think they mean James.
Mind you, plenty here lauding Nic Livingstone, but I remember when she made the exact same gaffe years back, so maybe it's a term they use in swimming circles.

Maybe, but pretty sure swimming doesn't have the power to change the meaning of a word.
Perhaps, but "versing" didn't have the additional definition it does these days compared to when I was young. It was gaming that did that

Now that word is one of my pet hates!

If swimming can alter the definition of a bodily function, then more power to them.
he’s still referring to a bodily function.
just the production of lactic acid instead of milk…it’s not that far off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was gonna post this Friday but completely forgot. Bruce was on ABC Radio's Conversations program - with Sara Kanowski last Friday.

First half he talks about his background, trots, horse racing, footy and other sports, second half talks about Olympics, his experiences and the greats he's watched live as well as those from the past.

Pity we couldn't get Whately to call the swimming he did it a couple of times for ABC Radio and Bruce the track and field on ch 9, rather than Mat Thompson.

This was Gerard explaining how he has prepared for Paris - last Thursday on SEN's breakfast show. He's done his homework for the athletics.

Macca was on 7.30 tonight talking Olympics. He didn't talk too much what he is doing for ABC outside track and field.

Last edited:
How the hell did we manage without the apps.
ABC radio for me.

They were brilliant. They could quickly go around the grounds so to speak on the half hour and hour and their reporters would report what was happening at their venue or if they were calling off the screen in the IBO what was happening in that sport.

But budget cuts and multi-channels have made them less effective.

When Sydney Olympics were on, I thought how good would it be if one of Channel 7's, 3 x C7 cable TV station on the old Optus Vision, would do what I called the fast channel, where you didn't have some dropkick in the studio trying to talk about something he/she had no idea about, and they would flick between sports just like the ABC radio did, with no laboured introduction. I figured if you pay a subscription you didn't need have ads. Alas it wasn't quiet like that, and I went to venues everyday so I just watched Roy and HG and replays when I got home.

London with 9/Foxtel having the rights and Foxtel having 8 channels was brilliant, Flicking between stations is easier and smoother than using an app on your TV or mobile device. Theres no buffering or loading up issues. Now days 40 channels app is great, but its almost too much over load trying to find keep up.

ABC radio for me.

They were brilliant. They could quickly go around the grounds so to speak on the half hour and hour and their reporters would report what was happening at their venue or if they were calling off the screen in the IBO what was happening in that sport.

But budget cuts and multi-channels have made them less effective.

When Sydney Olympics were on, I thought how good would it be if one of Channel 7's, 3 x C7 cable TV station on the old Optus Vision, would do what I called the fast channel, where you didn't have some dropkick in the studio trying to talk about something he/she had no idea about, and they would flick between sports just like the ABC radio did, with no laboured introduction. I figured if you pay a subscription you didn't need have ads. Alas it wasn't quiet like that, and I went to venues everyday so I just watched Roy and HG and replays when I got home.

London with 9/Foxtel having the rights and Foxtel having 8 channels was brilliant, Flicking between stations is easier and smoother than using an app on your TV or mobile device. Theres no buffering or loading up issues. Now days 40 channels app is great, but its almost too much over load trying to find keep up.
When i was in high school, we moved interstate a few months before Barcelona.

When we moved in, we were shocked to find out the tv reception was almost non-existent and could only get ABC and 10 scratchily.

So for most of the 92 Games, I listened to ABC Radio in my bedroom all night and it was freaking amazing. Those commentators were artists and I didn’t feel like I missed out. If anything, it was more evocative. Such a good memory.

It w
When i was in high school, we moved interstate a few months before Barcelona.

When we moved in, we were shocked to find out the tv reception was almost non-existent and could only get ABC and 10 scratchily.

So for most of the 92 Games, I listened to ABC Radio in my bedroom all night and it was freaking amazing. Those commentators were artists and I didn’t feel like I missed out. If anything, it was more evocative. Such a good memory.
Tim Lane called the athletics if memory serves. The best part of the ABC coverage of Olympics was playing of John Williams anthem

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris Olympics - Broadcast discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back