Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone is going to love attending the open water events, literally in the middle of nowhere. Especially when they will have to be shuttled all the way from Ipswich. Perfect for the athletes too.
Wait what are you on about, of all the things to complain about the open water events are not one of them.

They are in Southport on the Gold Coast in the broad water, there is no problem with that.

They have also planed a satellite Olympic village on the Gold Coast so surely that's where they would stay.

Wait what are you on about, of all the things to complain about the open water events are not one of them.

They are in Southport on the Gold Coast in the broad water, there is no problem with that.

They have also planed a satellite Olympic village on the Gold Coast so surely that's where they would stay.
Rowing venue is at Wyaralong Dam.

We simply MUST build a minimum 60-70,000 capacity stadium that is world class. I'm so concerned for what we will deliver. They can copy the London stadium from 2012 that had some temporary seating and was converted after the Olympics.

8 years is not a long time, not when you have to deliver something to this scale and need to develop a majority of venues.

Most of the Sydney venues were built in less than that time. And it was 'the best Games ever'.

But there wasn't quite so much local political bickering. Hopefully the local stuff doesn't end up embarrassing Qld and Australia.

It's a bloody shit fight up here with the politics over it all. Most of us Queenslanders are so over it.

The hope is that the feel-good outcome of this Olympics will be so strong that it brings everyone together on the same page. With the number of Queenslanders coming home with medals it should help. There's few things politicians love more than gushing all over successful Olympians for PR points.

After what happened with Commonwealth Games doubt Melbourne be getting any major events anytime soon
What happened with the Commonwealth Games? Oh, I remember... politicians tried to be clever and the organisers settled for a second-rate option, rather than going for a big boy city which already had most facilities in place.

After what happened with Commonwealth Games doubt Melbourne be getting any major events anytime soon
Yeah no, the comm games had nothing to do with the city of Melbourne.

That was Dan Andrew’s and his regional games.

Melbourne was never the host, that was the problem.

Everyone told him his dumbass plan wouldn’t work, but he forced it through anyway.

Melbourne could host an Olympics without a problem and without the need to build much new sporting infrastructure. Same as Sydney.

Unfortunately the IOC have decided that Summer OG just be held in July and August which rules Melbourne out and really Sydney as well.

Brisbane is the smallest/least well known city that has hosted a summer OG in I don't know how long. Since Atlanta at least.

We simply MUST build a minimum 60-70,000 capacity stadium that is world class. I'm so concerned for what we will deliver. They can copy the London stadium from 2012 that had some temporary seating and was converted after the Olympics.

8 years is not a long time, not when you have to deliver something to this scale and need to develop a majority of venues.
Even the plans they rejected wasnt that big. Its going to be a 25 thousand seat stadium in the middle of nowhere in winter.

Even the plans they rejected wasnt that big. Its going to be a 25 thousand seat stadium in the middle of nowhere in winter.
Then **** it take it off us.

The IOC could go us, the proposal promised a stadium. This could be construed as a type of fraud.

Give it to Tokyo if we can’t be bothered doing it right. They got robbed of what would have been a great Olympics so let them host it properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then **** it take it off us.

The IOC could go us, the proposal promised a stadium. This could be construed as a type of fraud.

Give it to Tokyo if we can’t be bothered doing it right. They got robbed of what would have been a great Olympics so let them host it properly.
As much as I have dreamed and hoped we'd host another summer Olympics in my lifetime, what Brisbane is putting on the table right now is nothing short of embarassing.

If the city doesn't build great stadiums and venues, then it offers literally NOTHING! No disrespect to Brisbane but what does it offer visitors outside of the Olympic experience?

Here in Paris I've had conversations with many people from overseas who keep bringing up that Australia is hosting the Olympics. Then it always leads them to asking me where and I say Brisbane. Then some of them have never heard of the city, they ask me is it ready, why is there. I can't answer them with optimism.

Brisbane only has it because no one else wanted it. Its political poison. Just look at the nonsense that was in response to Paris's opening ceremony, everyone is just waiting to make it political and miserable. The IOC themselves pushed to have the gabba redevelopment killed once it became weirdly political. But what is happening in Brisbane would be happening anywhere else on earth, the difference is they are starting with a lack of existing infrastructure to fall back on.

Brisbane needed the Gabba upgrade anyway, a billion dollars+ is standard for a reasonable sized stadium, which will have to be paid at some point. The rest was for civic upgrades in the area including transport, which will also be needed at some point, albeit not quite as grand. So the costs, albeit blown out, were still reasonable. This wasn't going to be a white elephant, yet it was framed as billions spent for a two week junket.

I have no idea if Brisbane can pull it together or not. But I don't think anyone else is going to want it either. Worse comes to worse, we could see the Aus government coming in and relocating it to Melbourne or Sydney at some point on behalf of the IOC.

The Olympics are going to have to move to a fixed four or five city model where a city, perhaps on each continent, hosts the games every 16-20 years. Because its just too niche while requiring so much capital infrastructure.

I often thought - after Sydney 2000 - that the Games would have to move to regular host cities - re-using/upgrading existing facilities but still rotating around the world.

For example:

OCE Sydney
EUR Athens
ASI Beijing
USA LA
AFR Capetown
SAM Rio

Other cities could bid to be their continent's host (eg Auckland or Brisbane could try in Oceania vs Sydney) but there would always be a default.

I wish the IOC had planned something like this 20 years ago.

Also the Commonwealth Games.

I often thought - after Sydney 2000 - that the Games would have to move to regular host cities - re-using/upgrading existing facilities but still rotating around the world.

For example:

OCE Sydney
EUR Athens
ASI Beijing
USA LA
AFR Capetown
SAM Rio

Other cities could bid to be their continent's host (eg Auckland or Brisbane could try in Oceania vs Sydney) but there would always be a default.

I wish the IOC had planned something like this 20 years ago.

Also the Commonwealth Games.
Athens, cape town and rio arent up to it. Cape town is struggling to even provide water. Sydney could only do it if they changed the season, which they wont.

The cities that could be up to it are la, london, new york, tokyo, paris, shanghai, beijing, seoul, delhi (maybe in another decade), singapore.

I think it should simply be a rotation between the cities that have already held it somewhat recently in Paris, London, Sydney, Beijing, Tokyo, LA. Maybe Rio if the facilities are mostly still in place and there isn't any large expenditure required again (but I doubt that is the case).

Middle east could afford it (e.g. Doha, Riyadh, Dubai), but have issues with extreme heat (40-45C maximums this week), region instability, human rights, etc.

But it seems like that is a moot point as it won't be happening. Wikipedia tells me the 2036 main candidates are Istanbul, India (likely Ahmedabad), Santiago and Nusantara. The latter is basically a new city being created to be the new capital of Indonesia.

The only hope is the QLD Labor government get the arse and the success Australia has had in Paris sees more goodwill towards actually holding a games we’d be proud of.

The problem is Labor governments across the country have all decided sporting events are not worth their money. Likely influenced by their need to satisfy the Greens who would prefer every sporting venue be torn down and made into dog parks.

Melbourne could host an Olympics without a problem and without the need to build much new sporting infrastructure. Same as Sydney.

Unfortunately the IOC have decided that Summer OG just be held in July and August which rules Melbourne out and really Sydney as well.

Brisbane is the smallest/least well known city that has hosted a summer OG in I don't know how long. Since Atlanta at least.
Sydney weather is good enough in August. Also will AFL allow MCG and Marvel be out of use for a month plus including paralympics.
Only 2 nrl clubs in Sydney use Stadium Australia much easier to reschedule.

The only hope is the QLD Labor government get the arse and the success Australia has had in Paris sees more goodwill towards actually holding a games we’d be proud of.

The problem is Labor governments across the country have all decided sporting events are not worth their money. Likely influenced by their need to satisfy the Greens who would prefer every sporting venue be torn down and made into dog parks.
This is the wrong forum for your brainworms.

If the Victorian Government went back on Commonwealth Games, hosting more bigger and expensive event like Olympics
The fact they are bigger and more expensive is why they would do it.

Who hosted the last commonwealth games? The one before that?
The commonwealth games do not make money because they do not matter. No tourists, no prestige, no legacy. No relevance. You won't even get many locals buying tickets.

The fact they are bigger and more expensive is why they would do it.

Who hosted the last commonwealth games? The one before that?
The commonwealth games do not make money because they do not matter. No tourists, no prestige, no legacy. No relevance. You won't even get many locals buying tickets.
IOC be reluctant to award Melbourne the games as they bottled Commonwealth Games and fear may happen again. Will Afl be okay no access to MCG and Marvel for a month.

Athens, cape town and rio arent up to it.

As I think I said - my thoughts go back 25 years - when a city like Athens (the home of the Games) could've been up to it if they knew they would again be hosting it in another 20 (or so) years time.

Capetown - as the first likely African host - was a dream. Long before water shortages there were even a thing.

And yes - long before the IOC said Olympics could only be held between July & September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back